Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default v6.09+dev0502 - May 2 2020

v6.09+dev0502 - May 2 2020
  • + MIDI: adjust for global midi octave display offset in parameter modulation menu
  • + MIDI: fix note-offs when duplicating active take
  • + MIDI: send note-offs to MIDI fx and hardware when changing project tempo during playback
  • + ReaScript: add GetThemeColor/SetThemeColor
  • + VST3: fix sending panic all-notes-off to instruments
  • # VST: improve win32 keyboard messages
  • # color controls: fix changing WALTER element colors on tweak
  • # colorthemes: improve theme loading/saving
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
v6.09+dev0502 - May 2 2020[*]+ MIDI: fix note-offs when duplicating active take
Finally I can duplicate without side effects!!!
Thank you!!!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #3
puddi

Thank you devs for addressing the hanging notes issue, much appreciated!
Old 05-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
Funkybot

Theme Color Controls would really benefit from:

1. A Cancel button - Let's say I've already tweaked my theme previously and was mostly happy, but I go back in and decide "I can make this even better" and fail miserably. I should be able to click Cancel in order to not apply the current changes. If that also means adding a Save or OK button, then so be it.

2. A "Preview" checkbox - This would be useful for toggling back and forth between changed settings and default.

3. Presets - a few people mentioned this already and presets could even mitigate some of the other issues.

Thanks for the Note Off fixes! Stuck notes are definitely an annoyance and anything that kills them for good would be super appreciated here.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
ferropop

Quote:
[*]+ MIDI: fix note-offs when duplicating active take
Incredible, this has plagued me for years with IK MODO Bass...notorious for stuck notes when duplicating items.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
IadAslan

Awesome!!!
IadAslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
Janne83

Quote:
[*]+ MIDI: fix note-offs when duplicating active take[*]+ MIDI: send note-offs to MIDI fx and hardware when changing project tempo during playback
Fixed on my side. Thanks
Old 05-03-2020, 01:39 AM   #8
dupont

stuck note issue finally gets some attention.
Thanks
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:32 AM   #9
z.curve

Quote:
+ MIDI: adjust for global midi octave display offset in parameter modulation menu
This is perfect now, thank you!
z.curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:49 AM   #10
Neutronic

Quote:
+ ReaScript: add GetThemeColor/SetThemeColor
Thank you very much! Everything has been working as expected, though setting the low bit of the flags in SetThemeColor() does not seem to bypass the color transformation (as per the doc). By the way, is setting values above the low bit supposed to do anything?

One relevant nitpick about the Update functions - could you please make them always update corresponding elements even when the IDE is open? Otherwise it can be pretty confusing.

For example, I was testing SetThemeColor() with the "midi_rulerbg" string, and UpdateTimeline() appeared not to be working. I was about to report it as a bug, but at the last minute remembered to try the script with IDE closed.

Similar scenarios happened many times here resulting in futile debugging for varying amounts of time.

Thanks!

Last edited by Neutronic; 05-03-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:27 AM   #11
Vagelis

Something related to duplication of notes. Please devs can we have an action for the inline editor to duplicate notes? At the moment the only way to do this is if we time select the note. It would be really great and consistent if we could duplicate when we just marquee select them.

Thanks for all the updates!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:04 AM   #12
Tale

Quote:
  • + MIDI: fix note-offs when duplicating active take
  • + VST3: fix sending panic all-notes-off to instruments
Fixes confirmed, thanks!
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #13
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Theme Color Controls would really benefit from:

1. A Cancel button - Let's say I've already tweaked my theme previously and was mostly happy, but I go back in and decide "I can make this even better" and fail miserably. I should be able to click Cancel in order to not apply the current changes. If that also means adding a Save or OK button, then so be it.

2. A "Preview" checkbox - This would be useful for toggling back and forth between changed settings and default.

3. Presets - a few people mentioned this already and presets could even mitigate some of the other issues.

Since all that is possible with the API that the devs provide, I have made a script that is a variation of the Theme Color Controls that includes these requests (in case the devs don't want to spend more time on this and want to focus on other things). The script will be on ReaPack.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:40 AM   #14
dupont

I made a test for a couple of minutes
Empty Reaper project
insert a track with Tyrell N6
insert a 2 bars midi item with 5 1/16 th notes inside
input record quantise set to 1/16

loop the midi item
play in loop mode (loop length is the 2 bars midi item)
tweak tyrell different parameters and play some notes on the hardware keyboard, after some of loops, stuck note happens.

OSX El Capitan
Old 05-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #15
Doc Shay

Quote:
v6.09+dev0502 - May 2 2020[*]+ MIDI: send note-offs to MIDI fx and hardware when changing project tempo during playback
I was thinking this would fix my problem where reaper would not play the first midi note of VST sequencers/soft samplers and hardware samplers (MPC Live), at certain tempos and edit cursor locations, but it didn't.

I already detailed the issue in an email to support that I'm going to copy from and paste below:

Reaper has a problem of syncing full playback of VST sequencers/samplers. This problem was first brought up here in 2015. I found that it not only happens with Geist, but also with Akai MPC Software, so the problem is in how Reaper plays/syncs with these types of plugins. The issue is that Reaper will not play the first midi note within the MPC or Geist sequencer depending on the BPM and the cursor location on Reaper's sequencer.

To reproduce, load up samples in either vst and assign them to pads (Geist or MPC software vst), create a pattern in the vst sequencer and atleast fill in the first note at the begining of the pattern for a pad with a sample on it. Set Reaper's BPM to 85 and move the edit cursor to the 5th bar on the sequencer and press play...reaper will not play the first note of the VST's pattern, but will play the rest of the pattern and repeat the whole loop fine after. This problem happens at other bpms and cursor positions randomly.

The forum topic from 2015 that talks about this issue: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=154701

My twitter https://twitter.com/_DocShay

Last edited by Doc Shay; 05-03-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Doc Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Shay View Post
reaper does not play the first midi note of VST sequencers/samplers at a certain tempo and edit cursor location?
Could you post a maximally simple project with geist that demonstrates the problem?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #17
LugNut

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233750

Edit...sorry I thought this was with ext hardware...deepest apologies!

Hi,
@Doc,

Assuming you are using midi clock and reaper is the master, have you tried the jsfx I revomemded in above linked post? (Post #5) It has resolved sync issues for others.
It is a simple to use workaround though, so I hope Schaw can fix reapers native implementation.

Pity that reaper cannot slave tho. And doesn't support abelton Link.

GL
Guido

Last edited by LugNut; 05-03-2020 at 09:49 AM.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
Phazma

@Schwa I have a similar problem, don't know if it is related. When I have a track that sends Midi to a track where an Instrument is located, the first note will not be played when the Midi editor is focused. Even if the Midi-Item gets moved to the track where the instrument is located, it will not play the first note as long as the routing is active.
If playback is started a little bit before the note it will play correctly.

I attached a simple project with Serum vsti (which I know you have) so you can try it if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp First Note not playing when Editor focused.RPP (12.3 KB, 198 views)
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #19
Doc Shay

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Could you post a maximally simple project with geist that demonstrates the problem?
Alright, I attached the project file demonstrating the Geist/MPC problem. All you need to do is press play after loading and you will hear that Reaper won't play the first note of the pattern within Geist at the pre-set BPM (85bpm) and edit cursor location (start of the 5th bar). But it will play the loop perfectly when the cursor location is at bar 0 on the sequencer...it's pretty weird, but it does with at other tempos and cursor locations too. This project requires the full version so that you can recall the samples in the folder that should load up fine after extracting the folder to the desktop, thank you for your response and help, I really appreciate it!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Geist midi Bug in Reaper Test.zip (167.2 KB, 197 views)

Old 05-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
the first note will not be played when the Midi editor is focused
That seems to play fine with the midi editor opened, here. Just open the editor, set the cursor to the start of the project and play? What audio buffer size do you have set?
Old 05-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #21
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
This project requires the full version
Ah, well I don't have that, I just downloaded the demo. I can ask them for an NFR, but is it easy to walk through a super basic setup to reproduce this?
Old 05-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #22
Phazma

Here a screenshot with my audio buffering settings (not embedding it to not clutter thread):
https://i.ibb.co/DC6RPBm/Screen-Shot...t-17-41-58.png
Anything wrong here?

Btw sorry for not having saved the cursor at the start of the project but yes, you have done what in my case causes the first note to not be played.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #23
Doc Shay

Quote:
Ah, well I don't have that, I just downloaded the demo. I can ask them for an NFR, but is it easy to walk through a super basic setup to reproduce this?
Yeah, after loading up the demo in the project file, just load up some samples on the pads and click in a basic 4 on the floor pattern starting from the first sequencer step within Geist, and you can press play after making your pattern to hear the issue. I also included the detailed steps in a text file within that zip folder on what to do afterwards.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #24
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Here a screenshot with my audio buffering settings
I mean the audio device buffer size as displayed on the right side of REAPER's title or menu bar, typically something like 256spls.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #25
Phazma

Quote:
I mean the audio device buffer size as displayed on the right side of REAPER's title or menu bar, typically something like 256spls.
Oh ok, it is set to 512spls (~12/13ms)
Old 05-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #26
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, after loading up the demo in the project file, just load up some samples on the pads and click in a basic 4 on the floor pattern
Sorry, you're going to have to be a lot more specific, I am not familiar with this plugin. Maybe I'll just wait to hear from fxpansion.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Oh ok, it is set to 512spls (~12/13ms)
I'm not able to reproduce a problem. Is anything different here from what you are seeing?

Old 05-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #28
Phazma

I found the difference! You played the note from the Midi Editor button while I played it by clicking the space bar. I was checking what is assigned to the space bar in the Midi Editor Action list and instead of simple Transport: Play/stop I had it assigned to a custom action that consists of Transport: Play/stop and "Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins". It's now obvious why the note doesn't play and setting it back to only Transport:Play/stop solves the problem as expected.
I hope that in future I won't need the notes off action anymore anyway.
Actually in the end it seems more weird that the note didn't get interrupted when there was no routing.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #29
vitalker

Quote:
instead of simple Transport: Play/stop I had it assigned to a custom action that consists of Transport: Play/stop and "Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins". It's now obvious why the note doesn't play and setting it back to only Transport:Play/stop solves the problem as expected.
I hope that in future I won't need the notes off action anymore anyway.
Haha man, I did the same and "fixed" it for myself. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182104
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #30
Doc Shay

Quote:
Sorry, you're going to have to be a lot more specific, I am not familiar with this plugin. Maybe I'll just wait to hear from fxpansion.
Alright heres some detailed steps plus a gif.

1. Load up the project file I provided.

2. Follow this gif exactly to load a kit and create a pattern in the demo version of Geist.

3. After you complete those previous steps, just press play in Reaper (The edit cursor should be at the start of Bar 5 before playing), you will notice that the first step in the pattern that you created within Geist will not playback, but the rest of the pattern will play out fine. This issue is tied to certain BPMs and edit cursor locations...because when you move the edit cursor to bar 0 and press play, all the steps of the geist pattern will play fine. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Doc Shay; 05-03-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #31
BirdBird

Thanks for looking into the stuck note issues!

Quote:
[*]+ VST3: fix sending panic all-notes-off to instruments
Confirmed working

Quote:
[*]+ MIDI: fix note-offs when duplicating active take
Confirmed working. There are still some hanging notes with certain plugins but upon testing I have found the plugins to be the culprit.

Quote:
[*]+ MIDI: send note-offs to MIDI fx and hardware when changing project tempo during playback
Also working as expected far as I can tell. It would be also nice if the horizontal scroll of the arrange view stayed still while changing the tempo, it is disorienting to have it move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
I made a test for a couple of minutes
Empty Reaper project
insert a track with Tyrell N6
insert a 2 bars midi item with 5 1/16 th notes inside
input record quantise set to 1/16

loop the midi item
play in loop mode (loop length is the 2 bars midi item)
tweak tyrell different parameters and play some notes on the hardware keyboard, after some of loops, stuck note happens.
OSX El Capitan
I do suspect there might be an issue with Tyrell. If you send multiple note-on messages for a note it expects multiple(?) note-off messages for the note to stop playing. I am not getting the same behaviour with other plugins.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #32
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post
Confirmed working. There are still some hanging notes with certain plugins but upon testing I have found the plugins to be the culprit.
What plugins are still hanging and under what circumstances? For instance, I was getting a ton of random hanging notes on U-he plugins in the past, but was never quite sure how to reproduce. But the hangs only occurred in Reaper (not in Cubase or S1).

As a user, I'd assume "all hangs are bad" and if there's steps to reproduce hanging notes, even if we think the plugin is at fault, let's post the steps to reproduce so the developers can confirm or try to workaround them.

Let's get these hanging notes killed once and for all!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #33
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post

I do suspect there might be an issue with Tyrell. If you send multiple note-on messages for a note it expects multiple(?) note-off messages for the note to stop playing. I am not getting the same behaviour with other plugins.
stuck note with zebralette this afternoon, another UHE plugins.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #34
Phazma

Quote:
Agree 100%! This has been an issue for very long and a known fact that in Reaper hanging notes occur more frequently than in many other DAWs. I find it great that this important usability issue gets finally tackled and no matter if Reaper's fault, the plugins fault or user error, it would be great if we all worked together to sort out all possible causes of hanging notes and solve this problem for good or come up at least with guidelines for avoiding faulty behaviour in those cases where Reaper is not the culprit. I'm sure other users will come up with more special cases and maybe within a couple of updates Reaper might have even less hanging notes than most other DAWs!
Btw, thanks so much Schwa!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #35
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
stuck note with zebralette this afternoon, another UHE plugins.
Any idea what you were doing when it occurred? Steps to reproduce?
Old 05-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #36
BirdBird

Quote:
What plugins are still hanging and under what circumstances? For instance, I was getting a ton of random hanging notes on U-he plugins in the past, but was never quite sure how to reproduce. But the hangs only occurred in Reaper (not in Cubase or S1).

As a user, I'd assume "all hangs are bad" and if there's steps to reproduce hanging notes, even if we think the plugin is at fault, let's post the steps to reproduce so the developers can confirm or try to workaround them.

Thanks for nudging me Upon further testing and a bit of research I found some cases that cause stuck notes for everything:
* Play a note, hold it
* Toggle Bypass for plugin
* Release note
* Toggle Bypass for plugin to enable it
Note gets stuck.

This one I knew about, but I tracked down why it happens:
* Draw a long note in a MIDI item
* Place edit cursor somewhere on the note
* Start playback - sends note on message
* Split item during playback - sends note off, then a note on message
* Undo the split, sends another note-on message
Now there are 2 note-on messages, and like with the Tyrell example above this can cause stuck notes.

Here is another example that can cause 2 note-on messages for the same note:
* Start playback
* Draw a note ahead of the play cursor while note preview is enabled
* Once the playhead goes over the drawn note you now have 2 note-on messages

I believe one way to remedy all this would be to have a setting akin to "Prevent multiple note-on messages for pitches" where REAPER always sends a note-off message before sending a new note on for a pitch that is already playing.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #37
EvilDragon

There should be no such option, Reaper should just do it always methinks.

Although, hmmm, this could be a potential problem with MIDI controllers that have triple sensor actions, because on them you can generate a new note on for the same key before it got a note off (simulating grand piano escapement).
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #38
Funkybot

Thanks BirdBird!
Old 05-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #39
dupont

Quote:
Any idea what you were doing when it occurred? Steps to reproduce?
in my case it is always in this configuration :

Reaper plays in loop mode with a couple of bars long midi item .
Hand note happens when I tweak plugins parameters and play notes on the hardware keyboard.

It seems to happens at the end of the loop as if a note off was missing.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #40
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There should be no such option, Reaper should just do it always methinks.

Although, hmmm, this could be a potential problem with MIDI controllers that have triple sensor actions, because on them you can generate a new note on for the same key before it got a note off (simulating grand piano escapement).
There should definitely be at least an option. I think there are far less people out there with such a midi controller than people who just want to edit midi intuitively without having to think "if I do this I will get a hanging note".