Old 05-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default CLA on aux and buses

I was reading an article about CLA plugins and the author was suggesting using sends to group various vocal tracks. Any idea how that would would work out in practice.

As if you have CLA with a certain setting on one track and send the vocal and back-up vocals (for example)to that track how would you adjust the two vocals?

You would just be intensifying or diminishing the intensity of the CLA setting, would you not?

The author also suggests using various CLA plugins for unintended situations. Such as CLA vocals for acoustic guitars.

Does any one have any experience in this? Favourite settings?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
Stella645

Without seeing the context this was written in it's very hard to say whether you understood it correctly or whether the technique makes sense and how it could be utilised.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:05 AM   #3
Naji

CLA by Waves? I suppose you mean Waves CLA plugins by Chris Lord, don´t you?
You can use a lot of different plugins for any instrument and of course a lot of
plugins for vocals are good for guitar, too, because they make the high mids and high end shine...
As for vocals you can add a parallel track adding amp, distortion or whatever.
Just experiment and find out.
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
valy

Your first question is a more general one. If you are sending from various vocal tracks to a single track with an FX on it, you can adjust the levels of those individual sends to control the amount of signal being sent from each vocal track to the FX track.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:40 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

Thanks for these tips. Sorry for not replying sooner but I forgot to specific "instant email notification"
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
serr

When you bus multiple vocal tracks together (for one example) and put a compressor on the bus, what you're saying is that you very much want to hear them 'squeezed' together. With moments of louder bits in one of the tracks pushing everything on the others back and the whole works.

There may very well have been a sequence of events in the past where someone did this because they only had one compressor left and needed it for 3 vocals. So they did the group bus as a workaround. That may have happened that way. But in any case, the sound of compressing a group of source tracks is a thing. And people go after this even on the DAW with unlimited tracks and unlimited compressors. The comment "Hey, that's going to mush those tracks together. How are you going to still keep them separated sounding?" will be answered with "Yeah, I know! I'm not trying to keep them separated."

Try it.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
”Yeah, I know! I'm not trying to keep them separated.”
Well not anymore anyway. If the individual voices need EQ or compression or really anything else, we’re going to do that before it gets to this point.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
When you bus multiple vocal tracks together (for one example) and put a compressor on the bus, what you're saying is that you very much want to hear them 'squeezed' together. With moments of louder bits in one of the tracks pushing everything on the others back and the whole works.

There may very well have been a sequence of events in the past where someone did this because they only had one compressor left and needed it for 3 vocals. So they did the group bus as a workaround. That may have happened that way. But in any case, the sound of compressing a group of source tracks is a thing. And people go after this even on the DAW with unlimited tracks and unlimited compressors. The comment "Hey, that's going to mush those tracks together. How are you going to still keep them separated sounding?" will be answered with "Yeah, I know! I'm not trying to keep them separated."

Try it.
But you can do it in parallel, thus retaining the separation and transient energy of the originals while blending in a crushed, more RMS-heavy combination of the tracks. The best of both worlds (depending on the sound you are going for, of course).
valy is offline   Reply With Quote