Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-22-2020, 05:13 AM   #601
onewayout
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
The file that Reaper loads is called 'ReEQ.jsfx'. It's a source file that's compiled when it's loaded into Reaper, so you can look at the top of the file and make sure the version is the latest one (v1.0.8 as of today).
Thx nitsuj,

What's the best way of installing that again plz?

thx, Jeff
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #602
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Thx nitsuj,

What's the best way of installing that again plz?

thx, Jeff
On Mac I just unzip to Reaper's 'Effects' folder. Not sure about PC, maybe someone here can help?
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:39 AM   #603
surrounded3

Quote:
The file that Reaper loads is called 'ReEQ.jsfx'. It's a source file that's compiled when it's loaded into Reaper, so you can look at the top of the file and make sure the version is the latest one (v1.0.8 as of today).
Thx for letting us know 'bout the update.
Perhaps I missed it, but where I could find the update for the ReEQ?

Many thanks
surrounded3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:13 AM   #604
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrounded3 View Post
Thx for letting us know 'bout the update.
Perhaps I missed it, but where I could find the update for the ReEQ?

Many thanks
It's on the first page.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #605
ErBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
I don't see Vicanek's filter performing any better than RBJ's.
To be clear, I was referring to the stability of the filter under modulation, not CPU use.
They fall apart pretty much identically, and of course they do! The direct form is what causes the modulation issues.

I misinterpreted these lines and expected a difference:
"...so the filter characteristic may be modulated with near sample rate updating" (Updating not modulation rate)
"...thus being suitable for modulation where fast coefficients updating is needed."

Otherwise, I think it's a very nice filter. The response and the methodology behind it.

I still have hope for Orfanidis. I think it needs more finesse with the bandwidth calculation.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #606
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
To be clear, I was referring to the stability of the filter under modulation, not CPU use.
They fall apart pretty much identically, and of course they do! The direct form is what causes the modulation issues.

I misinterpreted these lines and expected a difference:
"...so the filter characteristic may be modulated with near sample rate updating" (Updating not modulation rate)
"...thus being suitable for modulation where fast coefficients updating is needed."

Otherwise, I think it's a very nice filter. The response and the methodology behind it.

I still have hope for Orfanidis. I think it needs more finesse with the bandwidth calculation.
Doesn't Vicanek's filter make Orfanidis pretty much obselete? Especially being though it has issues?
Old 04-25-2020, 11:16 PM   #607
thetylermays

Hey, I love the EQ! The sound and interface are excellent, and I've had a it for a few months. However, ever since using ReEQ I also started noticing some buggy behavior on some of my other plugins that I hadn't experienced before. Since I acquired a number of new plugins around the time I got ReEQ, it took me a little while to pinpoint where the problems were coming from, I did figure out it is ReEQ. As of this week I am now able to consistently reproduce my bug. Here's what's up:

Specifically, some of my plugins from Native Instruments/Softube have been randomly changing settings during the course of a mix, with selector knobs/switches changing position on their own accord, then getting stuck. I have used NI/Softube plugs for years, and they were always solid until I started using ReEQ in the same session alongside them. (The plugins that bug up are Passive EQ, Enhanced EQ, VC76 and Solid Bus Comp).

When I load those NI plugs into a blank session, things are fine (see first screenshot - sorry about the small size, this forum restricts upload sizes and I didn't realize that when I took them). See where I set the selector knobs, and I mean the ones that click to fixed positions -- for example, on the Passive EQ I set all the frequency knobs to 3 o'clock and that the ratio selector on the VC76 is set to 4:1.

When I load ReEQ in the same session, things are usually fine. Occasionally, merely loading the EQ seems like enough to make the NI plugs trip out, but most of the time they're still fine. However, once I create a couple of nodes in ReEQ AND right click on a node to bring up the menu (for example, when activating M/S mode), my NI plugins move their selector knobs to new positions. See second screenshot below. I know it's small, but see how the ratio on the VC76 moved from 4:1 to 1:1, and how all the frequency knobs on the Passive EQ are now at 12 o'clock.

After this happens, the controls on the NI plugs tend to be stuck, or only step between their lowest and highest values (sometimes one in the middle too) when I try to adjust them. ReEQ continues to work fine. The trigger really seems to be right-clicking on a node in ReEQ, to display the menu. I have been able to reproduce this problem consistently in a blank session with just the plugins in question. It doesn't seem to matter if they are on separate tracks, or on the same track.

I'm using the latest version of ReEQ (1.0.8), Reaper is up to date (6.08), and the NI plugs are updated. The problem happened using an older version of ReEQ (1.0.6) too, and persisted through many updates of Reaper. I'm running a Macbook Pro, with OS Sierra.

I'm curious if anyone else with ReEQ and those NI/Softube plugins has seen the same issue, or would care to try and reproduce this bug as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before reeq.jpg (60.5 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg after reeq.jpg (62.0 KB, 205 views)
thetylermays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:46 AM   #608
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetylermays View Post
I'm curious if anyone else with ReEQ and those NI/Softube plugins has seen the same issue, or would care to try and reproduce this bug as well?
That's a really weird one.

JSFX are supposed to be completely self-contained walled entities. There's very little scope for them to affect other plugins unless there's a bug somewhere in the Reaper UI code.

It is just the NI plugins? If we can build a case then I'll see if it can be escalated/reported to the Reaper devs.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #609
ErBird

Quote:
Doesn't Vicanek's filter make Orfanidis pretty much obselete? Especially being though it has issues?
I would be cautious saying it's obsolete simply because the basis behind it is good.
I want to understand why his particular solution doesn't work properly, but normal people can just use Vicanek's filter off-the-shelf.

"The Orfanidis solution is precisely a special case of the Christensen generalized solution..." -RBJ
I can't get ahold of the Christensen paper, but RBJ presents his take on it here. The whole thread, including the comments, is very interesting.

"One possible way to proceed would be to match |H(z)|^2...at five points and solve the resulting set of linear equations for Ai and Bi...We will not take this route, however." -Vicanek

Vicanek deviates by using the poles from impulse invariance and matching the amplitude at DC and the cutoff, but not at Nyquist.
I don't yet understand the implications of this decision and whether it's an improvement or a shortcut.
The filters are very nice, though, and well-behaved. I'm going to use them without hesitation.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #610
ReaMike

Edited.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #611
80icio

Having a bug with the AGC:
with AGC on tracks have a glitch during a silent audio part
without AGC.... all good

HQ or ECO does not affect the bug.

on this gif you can just seee the meters glitching on a silent part

LINK to the bugged session if you want to try it, it's just kick and snare tracks with ReEQ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jp...tPOsD8nTFHd1r5

Last edited by 80icio; 04-29-2020 at 01:19 AM.
80icio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:16 AM   #612
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80icio View Post
Having a bug with the AGC:
with AGC on tracks have a glitch during a silent audio part
without AGC.... all good

HQ or ECO does not affect the bug.

on this gif you can just seee the meters glitching on a silent part

EDIT... Sorry if you want to see the gif clip just click on it

LINK to the bugged session if you want to try it, it's just kick and snare tracks with ReEQ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jp...tPOsD8nTFHd1r5
Thanks for the feedback! I've downloaded the project file and will look into it.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #613
thetylermays

Quote:
That's a really weird one.

JSFX are supposed to be completely self-contained walled entities. There's very little scope for them to affect other plugins unless there's a bug somewhere in the Reaper UI code.

It is just the NI plugins? If we can build a case then I'll see if it can be escalated/reported to the Reaper devs.
Yup, just the NI plugs. Specifically the ones I mentioned that have the fixed selector knobs. I'll keep experimenting and let you know if I end up breaking any other brand of plugin!
thetylermays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:44 AM   #614
jjuhkam

I love this plugin to bits!
One question, if I've missed it somehow or it hasn't been implemented yes- quite a nobrainer actually-
Can i somehow type the values aswell? And could we have somekind of shortcuts for making the scrolling of the wheels extra precise?
jjuhkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #615
lilith93

Hi,

I'm really like the ReEQ plugin. I found some strange behavior though with CPU usage.

Here's a screeshot with activated ReEQ

https://imgur.com/sXZvuqM.png

and here with deactivated
https://imgur.com/ari1hwM.png

The difference is quite huge (over 10%). I also have the impression (still have to test) that's this overhead is not always there.

For instance this is after removing the plugin and undoing the removal:
When I start playing the track and stop it even stays at 45%.
After Bypassing ReEQ again it goes down to 27%.

https://imgur.com/8FFLKBB.png

Running Reaper in Debian 10 / XFCE.

Edit: I just found out that the difference between bypassed and non bypassed plugin is so high, when die Record button on Track 9 is pressed (see link below).
I remember that there was a difference how Reaper handles VSTs and FX depending on if a track is armed or not. Still strange that a single plugin makes such a huge difference.

https://i.imgur.com/WvI8IxH.png

Last edited by lilith93; 05-06-2020 at 04:38 PM.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #616
swartzfeger

Donated. I'm sort of beside myself with the quality here and the projects coming out of the Reaper community.

Thank you, @nitsuj !
swartzfeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #617
JamesPeters

@lilith93: oversampling enabled while live processing an input might be contributing to that CPU.

However, is your CPU governor set to "performance"? If not, your CPU readings are only going to be proportional to the current CPU speed. Your CPU will be allowed to "throttle" speed, so your CPU reading will be inconsistent. Setting the CPU to full frequency is a commmon thing to do for DAW use in any OS (in Windows you'd be doing that in the "power manager" settings).

I use indicator-cpufreq in the panel (XFCE) so that I can change it to "performance" when using Reaper.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:51 AM   #618
bwsd

Quote:
Yep, this is the reason. There's a limit on the number of sliders that you have in JSFX and I was running out pretty quick. It's an arbitrary limit - I hope they'll just increase it in a future update. If they do then I'll update the code to expose all bands.
This should help.

@serialize

file_var(0, input_gain_db);
file_var(0, gain_band_1);
file_var(100,freq_band_1);
--------------------------
file_var(16000,freq_band20);

The code in the @serialize section is executed when the plug-in needs to load or save some extended state. The sliderX parameters are saved automatically, but if there are internal state variables or memory that should be saved, they should be saved/restored here using file_var() or file_mem() (passing an argument of 0 for the file handle). (If the code needs to detect whether it is saving or loading, it can do so with file_avail() (file_avail(0) will return <0 if it is writing).
bwsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #619
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsd View Post
This should help.

@serialize

file_var(0, input_gain_db);
file_var(0, gain_band_1);
file_var(100,freq_band_1);
--------------------------
file_var(16000,freq_band20);

The code in the @serialize section is executed when the plug-in needs to load or save some extended state. The sliderX parameters are saved automatically, but if there are internal state variables or memory that should be saved, they should be saved/restored here using file_var() or file_mem() (passing an argument of 0 for the file handle). (If the code needs to detect whether it is saving or loading, it can do so with file_avail() (file_avail(0) will return <0 if it is writing).
Yes, I'm already doing this to support 8 bands. Increasing the number of bands is possible but not increasing the number of bands exposed for automation. Not until the slider count is increased.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:15 AM   #620
nitsuj

Hello everyone,

There's a new version of ReEQ available (v1.0.9) from the front page.

Notably, the maximum number of nodes is now 16, up from 8.

The latest version is backwards compatible with the previous one but the save/load serialisation has changed in this version. This means that if you save a project with the new ReEQ you won't be able to switch back to the old one without re-doing your eq settings.

Other changes: I've added a little bit of code to see if it addresses denormalisation. This seems to happen when a filter is enabled but no signal is passing through the JSFX and results in a steadily increasing CPU usage even though nothing is playing.

Finally, I've addressed the drawing differences between Mac and PC. The PC version should now have no weirdness with button font offsets (I'm hoping!).

As always, I've still got the todo list of other things to fix and improve on thanks to the kind feedback on this forum.

Feedback always welcome.

Last edited by nitsuj; 05-21-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #621
dahya

Quote:
Hello everyone,

There's a new version of ReEQ available (v1.0.9) from the front page.
Donation sent, keep up the good work :-)
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #622
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
@lilith93: oversampling enabled while live processing an input might be contributing to that CPU.

However, is your CPU governor set to "performance"? If not, your CPU readings are only going to be proportional to the current CPU speed. Your CPU will be allowed to "throttle" speed, so your CPU reading will be inconsistent. Setting the CPU to full frequency is a commmon thing to do for DAW use in any OS (in Windows you'd be doing that in the "power manager" settings).

I use indicator-cpufreq in the panel (XFCE) so that I can change it to "performance" when using Reaper.
Sorry, totally overlooked your answer. Yes, my CPU governor is always set to performance.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #623
curmudgeoncucumber

perhaps i am being an idiot but is there no way to get this to run in ReaJS?.i've not been able to run most of the JSFX i found on the forums in it
curmudgeoncucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #624
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeoncucumber View Post
perhaps i am being an idiot but is there no way to get this to run in ReaJS?.i've not been able to run most of the JSFX i found on the forums in it
Not as things stand. ReaJS uses quite an old version of JSFX. Cockos would need to update it for it to be compatible.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #625
bwsd

Quote:
There's a new version of ReEQ available (v1.0.9)
Thank you man. Cool
Old 06-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #626
nitsuj

Hey everyone, there's a new version ReEQ (1.0.10) available from the front page.

Most notably, I've added two new filter types to give you more control over your low and high end. They're called respectively, Low Channel (Analog) and High Channel (Analog).

These filter are inspired by analog channel filters whilst not modelling any specific unit.

Low Channel (Analog)

This is a combination of low shelf and a low cut 6dB filter.

When gain is above zero you'll get an increase in frequencies around the cutoff. This is nice to have in a 6dB cutoff filter.

When gain is below zero, you'll combine the frequency lowering of a low shelf with the 6dB cut. The curve adapts to the gain cut giving you a lot of control over the severity and smoothness of the cut.

The result is a really useful filter for reducing low-end rumble and getting control of those low-end frequencies.

High Channel (Analog)

This is a combination of high shelf and high cut 12dB filter.

When gain is below zero, this filter combines its low-shelf with an adaptive 12dB low-cut filter which gets closer to the shelf's cutoff frequency as the gain is decreased. The result is a very smooth and controllable low-cut filter perfect for tempering high frequencies.

When gain is above zero, the filter behaves like a high-shelf filter except that there's a subtle fixed high cut near the end of the frequency spectrum. Useful for increasing high-end frequencies without sounding harsh.

----------

I've also added the version to the 'Settings' menu to easily see what version you're using without having to look at the source code.

As always, I'm still chipping away at the to do list. Feedback welcome. Enjoy!
Old 06-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #627
DaveKeehl

Yay new updates! also I totally missed the previous update!

Still no ReaPack right?
Old 06-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #628
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Yay new updates! also I totally missed the previous update!

Still no ReaPack right?

Still no ReaPack. Disgraceful state of affairs after all this time right? I'll nudge that up the priority list.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #629
dahya

Quote:

Still no ReaPack. Disgraceful state of affairs after all this time right? I'll nudge that up the priority list.
With regards to this actually, I might not be correct, but at the moment Reaper stores the version of Jfx that we have used in the project and presumably elsewhere, and so projects will have mis-matched versions of your plugins when it is updated.

I'm guessing that putting your plugins in Reapack would fix that issue and would update all instances in all projects to the latest one?

Like I said, I may be wrong....but then I may be right....
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:45 AM   #630
sts

Quote:
I've also added the version to the 'Settings' menu to easily see what version you're using without having to look at the source code.
This is something I wanted to suggest anyway (since I never know which version of ReEQ I have installed and don't want to look it up in the source code). It's good to see that the latest 1.0.10 has this feature. However, the new "Version:" item in the settings menu doesn't show anything on my computer, so my version number is "".
sts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:12 AM   #631
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
This is something I wanted to suggest anyway (since I never know which version of ReEQ I have installed and don't want to look it up in the source code). It's good to see that the latest 1.0.10 has this feature. However, the new "Version:" item in the settings menu doesn't show anything on my computer, so my version number is "".
same here
Old 06-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #632
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
Weird, it's visible for me. What platform are you on?
Old 06-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #633
nitsuj

Never mind. It's fixed now if you re-download from the front page.

It wasn't showing the version when the JSFX first loads. If you refresh it using CMD/WND and clicking on edit button in the JSFX header then it appeared and of course that's the most common way that I load/reload the JSFX. Peculiar behaviour with strings...but it's fixed now.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #634
sts

Quote:
Never mind. It's fixed now if you re-download from the front page ...Peculiar behaviour with strings...but it's fixed now.
Thanks Justin! New version works and shows 1.0.10.
sts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #635
alphoc

Very good update, thanks a lot. But the nodes are still a little small, a little bigger, making them easier to catch. And lastly, do you think of doing dynamic eq mod, in the future ? Would be nice.

Last edited by alphoc; 06-24-2020 at 11:42 AM.
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #636
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphoc View Post
Very good update, thanks a lot. But the nodes are still a little small, a little bigger, making them easier to catch. And lastly, do you think of doing dynamic eq mod, in the future ? Would be nice.
I may add variable node sizes as a preferences option. I'll add it to the list of Things To Do(tm).

I was thinking about dynamic EQ some time ago. I even had some code scoped for reacting to RMS levels etc. My concern is that it's going to be tricky not to affect performance, but maybe there's a way of dealing with that.

I'm not ruling it out. ReEQ with dynamic EQ would be a good thing for the community.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:27 AM   #637
alphoc

Thanks. Please, Dynamic Eq would be nice and variable node is ok but freq values square under the node, is it possible bigger font ?

Last edited by alphoc; 06-26-2020 at 11:53 AM.
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:37 AM   #638
bwsd

Quote:
ReEQ with dynamic EQ would be a good thing for the community.
Yes!!! ))
Old 06-29-2020, 01:18 AM   #639
80icio

Quote:
I may add variable node sizes as a preferences option. I'll add it to the list of Things To Do(tm).

I was thinking about dynamic EQ some time ago.

I'm not ruling it out. ReEQ with dynamic EQ would be a good thing for the community.
YES!YES!YES!
80icio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #640
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Minor bug/inconsistency in ReEQ 1.0.10:

When selecting a band type from the list in the panel, allpass and Pultec low shelf are not listed. They can still be selected by right-clicking a node in the display area though.

I'm using Linux, if that makes any difference.

PS. feature request, if feasible: the ability to select multiple nodes to be able to move them as a group (and possibly adjust bandwidth/gain together).

Thanks for this EQ, by the way. I'm appreciating it now more than before.
Thanks for the bug feedback - just released a minor update that fixes it.

Thanks for your suggestions too. I'll add them to the backlog!