Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 01-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #41
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Oh great !!! Adopted !! Thx a lot !
Old 01-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #42
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
You don't know that, you've assumed that. And you have assumed incorrectly. Which is entirely fair enough, because no matter how many times I explain the goals of the default theme, my explanations never seem to penetrate the conversation, not on the internet at least.

Design in consumer facing software is almost always driven by the marketing and product departments. From day one a core requirement is for potential customers to take a glance at it and say "ooh I like how it looks." Reaper doesn't even have these departments.

Design for industry more and more follows the principles of data driven HFD (high function design). This is design where if someone accidentally presses the wrong button, people might die. Or (less dramatically but more commonly) if their 100,000 global employees take 500ms longer to find the "...and fries" button, that amounts to a vast cost when time is money. The design is repeatedly and exhaustively iterated, often automatically, and the data collected until it says the best design has been found. And that always seems to have one characteristic; its ugly. Oh so ugly. Like a slapped arse. But no one cares because in that world the data is king.

Which is the appropriate approach for a Reaper default? Reaper doesn't collect data on its users, and quite rightly too. And doing HFD without data is like dancing without music. So, strictly speaking, that's out. Many users instinctively have an expectation that it should take the same approach as other DAWs, even though the way Reaper is made ('themed' rather than 'designed') means that its never going to do that entirely successfully. The answer is, and no other DAW would have the balls to treat its users like grown-ups and to do this : a bit of both. The core lessons of HFD can be applied, for the most part, while trying to make it look at least somewhat appealing and not entirely like a slapped arse.

One of those core lessons is to have as wide as possible a visual hierarchy, so that nothing looks the same as anything else. Wildly disparate size, colours, shapes, visual styles and contrast levels. This is in direct conflict with people's instinctive desire for everything to look the same, neatly ordered and nice. So, lets take a look at that play button. Its easier for me to make it look the same as the other buttons; my computer has a fully functional copy and paste. Is the play button a top level control in the visual hierarchy? No one can say for sure; for the new user certainly, for the experienced user that's space bar and only the on state is important information. I decided it was, and made it big, chrome and bright, and made its surrounding elements of lower hierarchy. Much the same as I did with the volume control. But what if it isn't of great importance to you? Well, I have gone to great lengths to make it easy for you to change, and now I have also provided the button images. With pleasure.

Now that I have, again, explained a few things, I have no doubt that people will still say "yeah, but I don't like it". Even though the degree of that user 'liking it' is a currency I spend in order to maximise its chances being the best theme to still be using five years from now. For some people this translates into rancour on the forum, I understand this, and so long as its not disrupting my pre-release work threads I have to be (and am) at peace with it. Also, I have found that on the internet people say negative things in public and positive things privately, and even then I have been surprised and delighted by how little rancour the Def6 theme has caused, easily the least of any of the default themes so far. I consider it a triumph. But people have different needs, subjective opinions, and some people just want to 'like it', dammit, and all of this is valid. So I'm going to continue to provide images, instructions and encouragement. S'all good.
Ok. Didn't know it ran that deep. Thanks for all your work.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:41 PM   #43
Funkybot

Quote:
That may be what you think, but I disagree. And from a quorum of two, just you and I, we are able to have differing opinions then that rules out there being a 'right' answer. Just to repeat this again, there will always be complaints. I'm okay with it, and I have found the amount of complaints for V6 to be very low. And I'm very very clear that doing things based on minimising forum complaints is utter madness anyway, proved beyond any doubt in V4. There is no need to extrapolate what you believe my intentions to be, I'm straight-up telling you what they are
Perfectly reasonable. And as pointed out regularly, it's not like we can't just tweak these things to our own liking. You've got what must seem a thankless jobs at times, so let me just say stop and say thanks!
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:19 PM   #44
TobyAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
White Tie I get the approach you took and why, and I think big chunks of the 6.0 Theme are great. There are a few other things I don't personally like...
While aesthetically I basically agree with you, and have strived to those ends with tweaking, it requires more than just tweaking Reaper to work well. You've got to install dark, high-contrast Windows themes and makes sure API windows match. So user tweaking will always be needed to make a nice 'really dark' theme, and we are given an awesome starting point for those inclined.
TobyAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #45
PMan

Default Thanks for the mods!

I've been testing a lot of different V6 themes, and the mod in post 3, with the hacked in MCP strip rocks. It's the closest I have tried to a "perfect" theme for me.

Many thanks, WT!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #46
DeathByGuitar

Has anyone put these elements into a theme yet? If not, I probably will although I've never made a theme before. Then again I assume it's not rocket science.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #47
SmajjL

Ohh yeah!
I recall SmajjL-whine about thin pan lines, eat that! schmajjl!.. thanks WT
I'm happy with that TCP and that volume knob is one cool idea you got there.
TCP BG color is way better (because it is not the same color as..) most whines is solved, even the routing whine. (not my patented whine though)

Carry on, p l e a s e
Thank you for doing this.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #48
Thonex

If I want to use WhiteTie's stacked pan knobs, what lines in the rtconfig must I adjust to make them work? I'm assuming just dropping them in the appropriate folder won't be enough since you have the coded pan knobs there to begin with.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #49
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
If I want to use WhiteTie's stacked pan knobs, what lines in the rtconfig must I adjust to make them work? I'm assuming just dropping them in the appropriate folder won't be enough since you have the coded pan knobs there to begin with.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Ok.. it seems it just works. Question though. Is it possible for the mcp_pan_small knobs to have more than 33 states? What if I'd like 128 states to support the MIDI standard?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #50
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex
I'm assuming just dropping them in the appropriate folder won't be enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie
... or those who want to just swap out some elements. So I shall be providing some as time and inclination allows; all in 100%, 150% and 200%, all at exact sizes so you can just swap them into the default theme with no messing about with WALTER.
did you miss this in the first post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Is it possible for the mcp_pan_small knobs to have more than 33 states? What if I'd like 128 states to support the MIDI standard?
I believe the answer is yes.
You can make a knob in knobman to test or find an appropriate one in the Knobman gallery.

::
Old 02-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #51
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
did you miss this in the first post?

I believe the answer is yes.
You can make a knob in knobman to test or find an appropriate one in the Knobman gallery.

Thanks Lucas.

I saw the bit about swapping out, but was working on another theme that was based on the default and didn't see a similarly named sprite sheet for the panning knob. Was just making sure.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #52
juliansader

Would it be possible to create a replacement TCP Route button that is less vibrant, and more similar in style to the FX and Envelope buttons?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #53
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Would it be possible to create a replacement TCP Route button that is less vibrant, and more similar in style to the FX and Envelope buttons?
Here's a couple I have done.... for the TCP it has the vibe of the FX and Trim:

For the MCP it blends more with the darker background. I also de-colored the inactive record buttons as well as made the panning more readable to my eyes.:

Let me know if you're interested ad I'll put together a zip with those assets. although I've only done 200 and 100%.... since I have no need for 150%.

Oh... I also shrunk down the fader heads.

Last edited by Thonex; 02-20-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #54
stormformer

Thanks White Tie, I was keen to try this out. I followed the instructions you linked to, but I've seemed to destroyed the Default 6 Theme in the process. Any chance you know how to restore the default 6 theme? I have no local backup.
stormformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:20 AM   #55
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

UPDATE

Added dark MCP elements, in all three sizes. Downloads updated in post #1, added to the theme in post #2.

----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGuitar View Post
Has anyone put these elements into a theme yet?
See post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Sure thing, please do remind me if I forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormformer View Post
Thanks White Tie, I was keen to try this out. I followed the instructions you linked to, but I've seemed to destroyed the Default 6 Theme in the process. Any chance you know how to restore the default 6 theme? I have no local backup.
If you extracted from the reaperthemezip file, there's your backup. Otherwise you could do a mobile install of Reaper (takes seconds) and grab the theme file from there.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #56
vidalsh

Sir WHite Tie, finally you got it.

This is the first theme that I don´t want to change anything, all on this theme is quite perfect looks.

Now nobody can will says than reaper is ugly.

Congrats...Keep it up.
vidalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #57
BobF

Thanks tonnes WT.

Your effort and generosity are both appreciated.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #58
+NRG

Thank you for the update!
Old 02-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #59
Chimpscookie

Thanks! Any chance this will be used as the default?
Chimpscookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #60
stormformer

Thanks White Tie, much appreciated.
stormformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:32 AM   #61
lucas_LCS

Default button sizing bug in WALTER code

I found a button sizing bug in the default RTCONFIG for the TCP_IO button.
TCP layout 'A' has it sized @ 34.
TCP layout 'B' & 'C' have it sized @ 37 for the 100% section, but 34 for the 150% & 200% versions of those layouts.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 03-04-2020 at 12:40 AM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:33 AM   #62
timothys_monster

Just wanted to come by and say thank you, WT! This theme is perfect for my needs and apart from that quite sexy. First time I am happily using a WT theme again. Thanks for listening and gifting us this gem.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:29 AM   #63
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
I found a button sizing bug in the default RTCONFIG for the TCP_IO button.
TCP layout 'A' has it sized @ 34.
TCP layout 'B' & 'C' have it sized @ 37 for the 100% section, but 34 for the 150% & 200% versions of those layouts.
Great find, thanks!

Well done for reporting it in the Pre thread; that means a cockosian will see it and poke me; if you report it here I'm only going to see it if I'm reading this thread, and clearly its important for an immediate fix.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:29 AM   #64
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Thanks for listening
Always listening.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #65
vitalker

Can someone please explain (maybe White Tie) why in both Default and this mod themes there are 50% and 75% layouts, which have the same size as 100%?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #66
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Explained by kenny here.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:54 AM   #67
vitalker

Quote:
Explained by kenny here.
Thank you, understood. Can we please have narrower MCP layout like in V5 at least in this mod (Default_6.0_wt_mod_parts.ReaperThemeZip)? My screen has 1366x768 and the layout looks a bit wide.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #68
LarrySeyer

Default Software you use?

White Tie,

What software do you use to create these incredible graphics?

I've just gotta know!

L
LarrySeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #69
bless

Default Default Reaper 6 theme

How much need resolution of display for active using 75% и 50% size in Options > Layuots > Master Mixer Panel? Why it not working wirh 1260x1080p? It is Bug?

Last edited by bless; 03-17-2020 at 07:59 PM.
bless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #70
Alez156

This theme has become my new go-to!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #71
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alez156 View Post
This theme has become my new go-to!

Same. I may change a few elements and post the results but that would first require me to know what the hell I'm doing.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #72
ReaMike

Yep, loving the default modders theme.

Thanks White Tie.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #73
himalaya

Default Angles can create optical illusions

I'm so glad that I found this thread! The wt_mod_arts theme has some very good elements! It improves on the two design aspects from the V6 default theme that have prevented me from using it, namely the 'routing' button and the 'FX' button. See below for the reason why.

Quote:

First up is some standard dark buttons. The science is clear on this; having all the button look similar is bad for visual searchability ...but it does look prettier overall, lets face it Fair enough .
Can I add my stance to the scientific body of work, and say that in contrast, buttons designed with angled elements can create optical illusions and generally play with one's brain.

The V6 default theme has such elements. The FX buttons and the routing buttons affect how I see some elements. There is an optional illusion created with the angled lines in those buttons, see the attached picture. So when I look at the mixer as an overview, the FX buttons magically start to point towards the upper right side. Not good.

In addition, when I use the default theme I always pause and look at the buttons and think that something is wrong.... The fact that these angled elements do that to me, just wastes my time. There is this annoying aspect to them, where I simply want to move the angled stripes in the routing button and straighten them... This also concerns the fact that the angle of the left corner is not parallel to the stripes themselves....so I want to reach to the screen and grab the stripes and correct them....

So, whatever it is that science talks about in context of buttons, please, be careful when adding angles to buttons on UIs. This is my pet peeve as much hated as the ludicrous 3D angled perspective knobs on plugin UIs (but that is another topic ).

So...many thanks for this theme!
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper v6 graphic elements.png (39.3 KB, 296 views)
himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #74
Pluq Studio

Default Color TCP

Great theme!
How do I change that the track color in the tcp is not darkened?

Last edited by Pluq Studio; 04-13-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Pluq Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:13 AM   #75
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
Can I add my stance to the scientific body of work
That's not how science works. People do the research, I try to follow what they find. You've rather missed my point that I have to balance each individual's needs and subjective opinions against what the research suggests if those two things are in conflict.

Buttons that launch windows have the corner cut off. The functional benefit of differentiating that is unassailable, the degree of success from the way I did it is of course much more debatable and will vary from from person to person. The remedy is I provide buttons without that feature, which I have now done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluq Studio View Post
How do I change that the track color in the tcp is not darkened?
Not sure which bit you mean, could you do a screenshot please?
Old 05-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #76
Delucci

edit2: Nevermind, I just reinstalled and it worked.

-----------------------------

edit: That's odd, installed a fresh portable version and it works.. I'll have to mess around my main Reaper installation

My MCP doesn't change, just the pan knob, tried all layouts, am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Delucci; 05-10-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #77
+NRG

I finally upgraded / updated to REAPER V6... Having a great time playing around with the V6 theme tools and toys! Thanks again White Tie for your help and efforts!
Old 06-03-2020, 03:48 AM   #78
RobU

Science be damned. The modder's version is fantastic - many thanks, WT
Old 06-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #79
pcmusicpro

Quote:
HERE is a theme build (for testing only, I've no idea if its broken) with some of the supplied elements in it, if you want to see them in action.

I´ve been trying this theme and it´s awesome. It would be great if you develop it giving Theme Adjuster and a Separator layout for the MCP and TCP.

Thanks and hoping you can develop this theme a little more.
pcmusicpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:26 AM   #80
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Its not really a theme, its just a small subset of the parts thrown into theme so its easier to get a flavour. The images and the WALTER are there to make it easy for modders to make all kinds of themes. I'm glad you like it, if you want theme made from these parts or extrapolated from the example theme, that's awesome, you should ask one of the people getting into modding, or perhaps even give it a go yourself. I have provided instructions for doing both the things you ask

If you're wondering why I don't just do it myself, let me clarify that I'm not going to be keeping on top of updates to a theme build that's only there as an example, I think my time would be better spent making more images for more choice. I hope that makes sense.