Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-02-2020, 03:12 AM   #1
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to chill computer without quitting Reaper

It often happens that I need to do another task with my macbook or want to take a break in the middle of a session and specially if it is a big project I don't want to quit Reaper and have to load everything again soon after.

But it is also annoying to have the computer constantly emit eccessive heat and fan noise while doing something that requires a fraction of the power.

So I am wondering what is the best way to give my macbook a rest when I am not actively working on a session.

It seems that just minimizing the Reaper window doesn't help (perhaps because I turned off setting media offline when Reaper is not focused?) but creating a new project tab seems to help giving the computer a rest.

So is that the way to go? Or is there an even more efficient way to ensure that Reaper does as little processing as possible while not in use and still is ready to go in a second when I switch back to it?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #2
reborn579

usually reaper - and most DAWs - are optimized for performance. so if haven't hit play on your project, it should basically do very little processing. the RAM will still be filled up with samples, of course, but the CPU should be at a regular rate. even if you turn off setting media offline when Reaper is not focused. so it might be that your laptop is not really fast enough? or maybe it doesn't have enough RAM? orr, maybe you're using something like Reaktor which has some synths that run all the time, even without hitting play?

if you just want to give the laptop a rest you should suspend it. afaik reaper let's you do it, and it won't ruin your work so far or anything.
reborn579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
Phazma

The thing is, my laptop has no troubles in playing those projects, no dropouts or similar. And I am fine with it running hot during work (of course it is annoying but I accept it as a consequence of my workflow and computer specs and the fact that it is a macbook which are notorious for this).
The problem is rather that for some reason the fans spinning fast and the heat rising start as soon as I load the project and persist while it is opened, it doesn't matter if in playback or just being open.
And as said, even with Reaper hidden the computer keeps running hot, as if it was doing as much work as during playback.

The only thing that seems to mitigate this is opening an empty project tab, so that is what I do if for example I need to browse something on the web and come back to Reaper afterwards. And I am wondering if this is the best solution. And I am also wondering, as Reaper is able to bypass the toll it takes on the computer when another project tab is open, why can't it do so when I just minimise it (or ideally as soon as playback is not engaged)?

Btw what does suspending Reaper mean? How do I do it?
Old 06-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
bolgwrad

You could try creating a shortcut for disabling all FX (I've got Ctrl+F), see if that helps. Maybe even all offline, though resuming is a bit slower.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
JamesPeters

Try this setting in preferences -> audio:

Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Dani Vallés

That's what I do:

When you click on the FX button of any chanel, every plugin loaded on that chanel is bypassed and this frees up some CPU.

If instead of click it you Ctrl+Click (It will be something similar on mac) every single plugin on your entire project will be bypassed an your CPU will go down to 0%.

Then Ctrl+Click again any chanel and start mixing again.

Best regards,
Dani Vallés is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
Phazma

@ JamesPeters I have this already on, but thanks for suggesting.

Most others seem to suggest bypassing or offlining the FX. The quickest way to do seems to be the cmd+click on the FX button method. I will try it next time I need it and report back if it helps.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
valy

Considering how fast Reaper loads, I'd just close the program when you take a break then reopen the project when you are ready to work again.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:09 AM   #9
cyrano

It could be one of Apple's Cloud background tasks running amok.

Just for a test, try logging off completely from your Apple account in System preferences/iCloud.

The last case I had like this, the MB was almost unusable because of short hangups every minute or so. The culprit was mdworker indexing the harddisk in the background.

You could also have a look in the Console for repeating errors, or in Activity monitor to see which process is producing the heat.

Of course, if it is Reaper, it probably is one of your plugins. But I bet it is Macos itself...
Old 06-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #10
Phazma

Thanks cyrano, I am going to check this out.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
fixerdave

hi, have you checked air flow, very common for dust and fluff to limit air flow and increase fan speed. dave
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Vallés View Post
That's what I do:

When you click on the FX button of any chanel, every plugin loaded on that chanel is bypassed and this frees up some CPU.

If instead of click it you Ctrl+Click (It will be something similar on mac) every single plugin on your entire project will be bypassed an your CPU will go down to 0%.

Then Ctrl+Click again any chanel and start mixing again.

Best regards,
Eeeech! Now I can use Ctrl+F for something else!
Old 06-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #13
Fergler

Simply open the Reaper preferences > audio > devices and leave it open, all audio work by the CPU will cease. You'll also get your audio back if it was in Exclusive ASIO or WASAPI modes.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote