Old 05-19-2020, 06:09 AM   #1
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Default Weird behaviour with JS and Acustica

The following combination doesn't get along with some Acustica plugins, but not all. Weird.

On a snare channel I had put: Phase Rotator (JS) - N4 (APEX) - BIGCEIL - PINK4EQ - SEG (JS). The JS plugins were set up as follows: Phase Rotator FFT Size 4096, Adjustment -103; SEG [...] Pre-Gate on (64spl). With either plugin bypassed or the Pre-Gate off, all is good. Project buffer size is 1024.

N4 exhibits a different crackling behaviour from PINK, while no artifacts are apparent with BIGCEIL. I've uploaded some audio files and screenshots in a public Google Drive folder, so you can see the settings and the levels (it doesn't have anything to do with the levels) as well as hear the different audible issues. If you feel investigating the source of this behaviour, you're more than welcome

Last edited by beingmf; 05-19-2020 at 06:58 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
OLSHALOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
The following combination doesn't get along with some Acustica plugins, but not all. Weird.

On a snare channel I had put: Phase Rotator (JS) - N4 (APEX) - BIGCEIL - PINK4EQ - SEG (JS). The JS plugins were set up as follows: Phase Rotator FFT Size 4096, Adjustment -103; SEG [...] Pre-Gate on (64spl). With either plugin bypassed or the Pre-Gate off, all is good. Project buffer size is 1024.

N4 exhibits a different crackling behaviour from PINK, while no artifacts are apparent with BIGCEIL. I've uploaded some audio files and screenshots in a public Google Drive folder, so you can see the settings and the levels (it doesn't have anything to do with the levels) as well as hear the different audible issues. If you feel investigating the source of this behaviour, you're more than welcome
What does it say for the Samplerate (FRT) when you push the edit-button in the N4 instance of the loaded pink-program?

With Edit-Button it should change to an other view...

Try to delete the plugin (n4, Pink) out of the chain and reload it completely.
For sure, check first for a saved version of the project that you don't loose anything...
OLSHALOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
valy

I don't use many JS plugins, but I've experienced weirdness with certain Acqua plugins but not others. For instance, I can put a ton of PINK3 instances on individual tracks. But in the case of SAND, going a single instance over a fixed number (don't remember off the top of my head, think it's 19 or thereabouts) hard-freezes Reaper and forces me to force-quit it using Task Manager.

Suffice it to say that each Acustica offering might be quite different under the hood. And while I can't speak to any specific interactions with JS, the fact that it does it with one and not the other doesn't surprise me.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:25 AM   #4
OLSHALOM

I get such behaviors with pink3, when the samplerate of the project and the audio-engine differs. Especially when the samplerate of the audio-engine get changed...
Old 05-24-2020, 04:23 AM   #5
beingmf

Thanks OLSHALOM and valy for the contributions!

@OLSHALOM: In order to make PINK accessible in N4, I'd have to download the whole 9GB again, which I wont't do right now, so I'll try an alternative solution: simply change the project samplerate to 44.1kHz. That way, any internal rate conversion should be ruled out, right?

@valy: SAND so far hasn't exhibited any weirdness (I think I have it from version 1). And what eactly leaves me a bit surprised is the fact that AFAIK the internals of every single Acqua plugin are identical (several chained and interacting Nebulas, only the parameters differ). Basically, they're all sampled and *cough cough* cleverly woven together (I have not a single clue of programming or coding )

Last edited by beingmf; 05-24-2020 at 05:43 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:30 AM   #6
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLSHALOM View Post
I get such behaviors with pink3, when the samplerate of the project and the audio-engine differs. Especially when the samplerate of the audio-engine get changed...
Eewww - you're right! In 44k, it does NOT happen. Maybe I should try tweaking the RATECONV parameter in the XML? Will add this info to my Acustica ticket - thanks for pointing me in this direction!!
Old 05-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
OLSHALOM

Quote:
Eewww - you're right! In 44k, it does NOT happen. Maybe I should try tweaking the RATECONV parameter in the XML? Will add this info to my Acustica ticket - thanks for pointing me in this direction!!
It wasn't supposed to do a reinstall of the Plugin.

Only delete the n4 instance with pink loaded out of the chain in the FX Window and simply add it again.
Take care of your settings maybe write it down or simply first open a new instance of n4, load pink and set it to the same settings.
With this samplerate behavior i think it doesn't work to just save the settings in the plugin and then open the preset, cause it's samplerate behavior is saved to.
try it...

There's a project-samplerate in reaper and a audioengine samplerate in reaper.
It can be different what i know.
Is it possible you once changed the samplerate of the audioengine after you opened the plugin? Maybe when you reopened the project?
That's the case in my setup, then pink starts to crackle like hell....

For the Rateconv-tweak and the Acustica ticket:

By doing it you loose the support of them.
It happened once to me, that i changed something by my own and that was the reason for loosing support.
when they wanna see the xml file of the plugin, they see you changed something.

Telling them, it's changing when you switch the samplerate, is a good idea in my opinion.
It will be interesting what they reply...

I once read on their forum about that issue...

Edit:
Oh i see: are you using pink in n4 or it's standalone plugins?
somehow not clear to me, sorry..

Last edited by OLSHALOM; 05-24-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
beingmf

Quote:
Edit:
Oh i see: are you using pink in n4 or it's standalone plugins?
somehow not clear to me, sorry..
Yes, exactly this The VSTs. And even though the installation files are still in the Aquarius Stage Area, it wants to download the whole thing from the top, ouch!

btw. RATECONVERSION is already at max, so no success here.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
OLSHALOM

Quote:
Yes, exactly this The VSTs. And even though the installation files are still in the Aquarius Stage Area, it wants to download the whole thing from the top, ouch!

btw. RATECONVERSION is already at max, so no success here.
Oh, sorry, i thought you are opening pink inside n4.

For me I fix this issue as i discribed:

So delete the Pink-Plugin just out of the FX-Chain.
Add it again on that channel and it works.
As discribed earlier, it's a bit a mess to rebuild the setting again, cause what i remember you can't load that setting as a preset, otherwise it's crackling again..

Hope it helps,

Cheers
Old 05-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
beingmf

Quote:
So delete the Pink-Plugin just out of the FX-Chain.
Add it again on that channel and it works.
As discribed earlier, it's a bit a mess to rebuild the setting again, cause what i remember you can't load that setting as a preset, otherwise it's crackling again..

Hope it helps,

Cheers
Yes! I tried it briefly, while not deleting the plugin but setting it to offline and online again, and that did it. I'll try again tomorrow and report.
Thanks!