Old 03-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
JL@Krotos
Human being with feelings

Default Creating Weapon sounds in Reaper

Does anyone here do much weapon sound design using Reaper for games or films? If so, what's your usual sound design workflow? I'd be really interested to know.

Has anyone seen this new plug-in called Weaponiser?

https://www.krotosaudio.com/2018/02/...ser-overview-1
JL@Krotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Greg Savage

I just take a field recorder... Gather my sounds, dump them into Reaper and start layering and processing
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
xpander

No games nor films here but like Greg Savage, I do field recordings. Most of those kind of recordings I have are naturally smaller arms. For more special weapons and FX, I have sample collections.

Even free sites have some, like Freesound:
https://freesound.org/search/?q=weapons

I can see how Weaponiser could be good if you need a wide variety and ability to fine tune, but no experience about that one.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:16 AM   #4
Sju

What benefits does that plugin offer over just doing it in DAW tracks the regular way? I'm having hard time justifying that price tag based on the features displayed in that demo video.

Also, combining a stock library and fixed workflow like that seems like a good way to mass-produce a lot of very similiar sounding stuff.

Does it have a feature to automatically create round-robins? The library browser seems to have 3 RRs for every type of shot/mic. Does it mix these up in the layers or cycle through them sequentially? Are 3 RRs really enough, especially for fast RoF weapons?
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:43 AM   #5
dookus

Default IR files

I made some up a couple of years ago I dragged a few IR's into the project and used the WAVS as the basis of a gun sound . Beware of the volume with the IR's when you import them . If you know how to use a sampler I recommend RS5K to work with the files. Just for stamps try running your newly created sound through an actual convolution processor loaded with it's own IR. Have fun
dookus is offline   Reply With Quote