Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
OakleyRdStudios
Human being with feelings

Default How Do I Install A New Plugin?

I have downloaded a plugin called 'LoudMax' Limiter. When I have downloaded plugins in the past on my Mac, I click the icon and get a window where I'm asked to drag the downloaded file into the components folder. But this just came as a component file and I get no easy set up window, so I don't know where the hell to put it.

When I go Finder: (alt+menu) Go> Library > Application Support > REAPER > User Plugins, there is nothing in there; it's just empty. I can't find anything that says 'Components' so I have no idea what to do with it. You'd think there'd be some instructions with it.
OakleyRdStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
TC7

https://loudmax.blogspot.com

There's a link on the right side of this pg. "How to install..."
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
OakleyRdStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC7 View Post
https://loudmax.blogspot.com

There's a link on the right side of this pg. "How to install..."
I'm afraid that doesn't answer my question. I don't know where my plugin folder is for REAPER.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
OakleyRdStudios

I have looked in the REAPER preferences to see what my plugin folder is called. I have gone there and it's completely empty. So I can't navigate to the rest of the path that REAPER says they are in. I have installed many plugins since I started using REAPER so I don't understand why all these folders are empty.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakleyRdStudios View Post
When I go Finder: (alt+menu) Go> Library > Application Support > REAPER > User Plugins
That's not the right place to look at all, that location is for REAPER specific plugins that VST and AU plugins are not.

The locations in OS-X for 3rd party VST and AU plugins are :

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins

/Users/YourName/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins

Plugins that have installers often install themselves into the first location and ask for your password during the installation. Plugins without installers are easiest to put manually into the second location.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #6
OakleyRdStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
The locations in OS-X for 3rd party VST and AU plugins are :

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins

/Users/YourName/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins
Thank you. Although when I look in /Library/Audio/Plug-ins - there is nothing in there. Just an empty folder. Is Mac OS hiding something from me?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakleyRdStudios View Post
Thank you. Although when I look in /Library/Audio/Plug-ins - there is nothing in there. Just an empty folder. Is Mac OS hiding something from me?
It's been too long since I've installed OS-X from scratch, so I don't remember for sure if the plugin format folders should be there automatically. At the moment I have the folders Components, HAL, LADSPA, MAS, VST and VST3 there. What OS-X version are you on? (I am on OS-X 10.13.3 High Sierra.)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
OakleyRdStudios

Aha! Found it.

I was taking the wrong route. Instead of: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins, I needed to look in /User/Library/Plug-Ins.

I don't quite understand why these locations are different when they have the same path but 'Machd' under 'Devices' is where it's at. As you suggested in the two possible locations you mentioned.

I find this rather confusing - but hey, I know where to look now and the problem is solved.

Thank you again.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #9
OakleyRdStudios

Hang on - Xenakios - are you the guy who wrote the custom actions? I use those all the time and they incredibly useful - so thanks are in order for your awesome work as well.