Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 10-12-2018, 01:24 AM   #121
Tiggerdyret
Human being with feelings

Hi, I am using 3 of your plugins and I am amazed at how useful they are!

I've got a few suggestions for the faderbox plugin/smart knobs script.

1. Multiple rows. I might end up controlling up to 128 parameters, which is impossible to fit in the smart knobs script. Therefore I thought it would be cool to be able to fit multiple rows in the script window. Another solution could be to have multiple instances of the script window up, one for each faderbox plugin, so you could place them wherever you'd want to.

2. Color-coded numbers. Instead off having up to 128 faders in the script I'd like to color code them and have; blue 1-32, green 1-32, orange 1-32 and so on.

3. Learn starting from the last touched fader number. Sometimes I want to skip a fader, so I thought it would be cool be able to touch a fader and have the learn start from that. I could also just be selecting a parameter from the drop down menu and have the learn start from the next fader after that.

4. A scrolling bar for the smart knobs script. Just a simple scrolling bare for faster navigation instead of only mouse scrolling.

Have a nice day and thanks for these cool script!s
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:56 AM   #122
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
Hi, I am using 3 of your plugins and I am amazed at how useful they are!

I've got a few suggestions for the faderbox plugin/smart knobs script.

1. Multiple rows. I might end up controlling up to 128 parameters, which is impossible to fit in the smart knobs script. Therefore I thought it would be cool to be able to fit multiple rows in the script window. Another solution could be to have multiple instances of the script window up, one for each faderbox plugin, so you could place them wherever you'd want to.

2. Color-coded numbers. Instead off having up to 128 faders in the script I'd like to color code them and have; blue 1-32, green 1-32, orange 1-32 and so on.

3. Learn starting from the last touched fader number. Sometimes I want to skip a fader, so I thought it would be cool be able to touch a fader and have the learn start from that. I could also just be selecting a parameter from the drop down menu and have the learn start from the next fader after that.

4. A scrolling bar for the smart knobs script. Just a simple scrolling bare for faster navigation instead of only mouse scrolling.

Have a nice day and thanks for these cool script!s
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm currently in the middle of some major updates to this script (probably going to be a separate V2 script as too many things are changing and requires different setup). I'll try to incorporate what I can in the new version. It won't be ready for a little while yet though.
lb0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:42 AM   #123
Tiggerdyret

Cool, I'll be looking forward to see where you are taking this next.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:07 AM   #124
Tiggerdyret

Hi, I just wanted to let you know I've encountered a bug, where I loose control over my pc keyboard and Reaper continue running as a background process after it's closed. It happens when I touch a parameter in Omnisphere, while the script is running in a project without an LBX track, so not serious at all and 100% me misusing the script.

I'll just post it here in case anyone else is having a similar issue.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:25 AM   #125
lb0

Quote:
Hi, I just wanted to let you know I've encountered a bug, where I loose control over my pc keyboard and Reaper continue running as a background process after it's closed. It happens when I touch a parameter in Omnisphere, while the script is running in a project without an LBX track, so not serious at all and 100% me misusing the script.

I'll just post it here in case anyone else is having a similar issue.
Hi - thanks - I will look into. Not sure why you lose control over your PC keyboard though.

Are you in LEARN mode? Does the bug cause a crash with error message?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #126
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Hi - thanks - I will look into. Not sure why you lose control over your PC keyboard though.

Are you in LEARN mode? Does the bug cause a crash with error message?
Not in learn mode, and no. No warning or other messages. I only realized that it was still running as a background process, because the sound kept playing, when I closed.

I've only encountered this problem with Omnisphere, so I'm not sure if it is a singular problem.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:52 AM   #127
Tiggerdyret

Hi, I've realized that this plugin tends to make opening and interacting or closing plugins very slow in large projects. In my heavy 155 track mix it takes about 4-7 seconds before I can make any change to a newly opened plugin, that isn't already loaded as faderbox's current plugin, which sadly is unacceptable.

I've done some testing of this.

1. I opened a new project and duplicated 2 tracks each with either Serum or Omnisphere on. and then I made a test track with ReaEQ to test the speed. I found that Reaper broke at 150 of these tracks before the problem arose.

2. I deleted most of the tracks from the most problematic project, which fixed it completely.

3. I muted all tracks, which seemed to change hang time from 6-7 seconds to 3-4.

4. I added 150 or more new tracks to a project except a few test track as in my first test, but didn't seem to have any issues with hang time in this example.

5. I deleted all FXs for most tracks in the project, which also weirdly enough only changed the time from 6-7 to 3-4, which is inconsistent with my last test.

I'm not sure if it's the amount of plugins, the heaviness or the number of parameters per plugin in the project as my results are a bit inconsistent. My best guess is that it's a combination of having lot's a tracks with lots of different instances of plugins, but not the amount of CPU or ram usage, but it might also play into it. I have a pretty strong PC, so I have never bother with managing CPU usage as I've never ran into problems before.

I'll have to reevaluate whether I still want to use this plugin, but I have to say it's not gonna be an easy goodbye as I think it's a very neat utility.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:39 AM   #128
lb0

Quote:
Hi, I've realized that this plugin tends to make opening and interacting or closing plugins very slow in large projects. In my heavy 155 track mix it takes about 4-7 seconds before I can make any change to a newly opened plugin, that isn't already loaded as faderbox's current plugin, which sadly is unacceptable.

I've done some testing of this.

1. I opened a new project and duplicated 2 tracks each with either Serum or Omnisphere on. and then I made a test track with ReaEQ to test the speed. I found that Reaper broke at 150 of these tracks before the problem arose.

2. I deleted most of the tracks from the most problematic project, which fixed it completely.

3. I muted all tracks, which seemed to change hang time from 6-7 seconds to 3-4.

4. I added 150 or more new tracks to a project except a few test track as in my first test, but didn't seem to have any issues with hang time in this example.

5. I deleted all FXs for most tracks in the project, which also weirdly enough only changed the time from 6-7 to 3-4, which is inconsistent with my last test.

I'm not sure if it's the amount of plugins, the heaviness or the number of parameters per plugin in the project as my results are a bit inconsistent. My best guess is that it's a combination of having lot's a tracks with lots of different instances of plugins, but not the amount of CPU or ram usage, but it might also play into it. I have a pretty strong PC, so I have never bother with managing CPU usage as I've never ran into problems before.

I'll have to reevaluate whether I still want to use this plugin, but I have to say it's not gonna be an easy goodbye as I think it's a very neat utility.
I'll do some tests to see why this is - do you get any lag when the script is not running on the same projects?

Omnisphere v1 takes a good 2-3 seconds to open the GUI normally on my studio PC (even when that's the only track fx in the project).

I know this script is used by people who have 1000+ tracks in their projects (with Kontakt mainly) - many tracks are muted - but many active also. They've not mentioned anything like this to me.

I'll see if I can do anything about this when I get some time to look into it.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #129
Tiggerdyret

Hi, thanks for the quick response. Glad to hear I'm the only one. I hope it's an error on my end then

1. Yes, I've tested without the script running and I get no lag.

2. Omnisphere takes a bit longer, but the problem is consistent for all plugins. I can actually see the tick on the "bypass effect" for that plugin turn on, when I can use the plugin.

I'll keep you updated. I haven't noticed it in my other projects, but I might not have pushed them far enough to notice it.

I do wonder if it is a single plugin or track, that creates this problem... Or maybe something completely different. My tests results was fairly inconsistent after all.

Thanks again. Tell me if you need anything. I would be game for a Skype session with Teamviewer, if you would find it helpful or make your work easier.