Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Crand
Human being with feelings

Default Pre-fader metering

Am I missing something, or is this vital feature not there? I spend so much time during the gain-staging of a project setting my faders temporarily to 0dbfs, or using a plugin meter on every channel. I'm constantly opening and closing meter plugins to see what's going on. It gets even worse when there's automation on channels.

This is literally the only thing keeping me running back to Logic, or ProTools, or Cubase, or any other software. Reaper is the only DAW I know of that doesn't offer pre-fader metering. How can this be? Is this a technically demanding feature?
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crand View Post
Am I missing something, or is this vital feature not there? I spend so much time during the gain-staging of a project setting my faders temporarily to 0dbfs, or using a plugin meter on every channel. I'm constantly opening and closing meter plugins to see what's going on. It gets even worse when there's automation on channels.

This is literally the only thing keeping me running back to Logic, or ProTools, or Cubase, or any other software. Reaper is the only DAW I know of that doesn't offer pre-fader metering. How can this be? Is this a technically demanding feature?
Old request, not yet implemented.
Vote here:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2355

and here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=56310
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Crand

Wow, thanks! There were a lot of votes for it, but 2+ years later, no such luck. I suppose my needs are just out of step with the Reaper user base.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
PitchSlap

Would really like to see this as well.

Logic has this as a simple toolbar button to toggle between pre/post metering.

Apologies about the poor quality image, I recorded this from a tutorial video.

(don't want to widen the thread, so click to view)
https://i.imgur.com/xyYzibc.gif

At the start Logic is set to pre-fader metering and it become quite simple to see (at a glance) any tracks with gain-staging issues. In this case the cello track is peaking at +10, but when switched to post-fader metering, the problem "disappears" and everything looks fine.

Being able to quickly see all channels at once pre-fader is far, far better than needing to stick some third party meter on every channel and check them one at a time...
Old 01-29-2016, 02:55 AM   #5
ivansc

Just bumped one of those FR threads that hadnt seen the light of day in a while.
Hopefully once we get over 200 the devs might take some notice?

I know the rationale regarding gainstaging is "well once it is in reaper you cant clip anything" but that doesnt help those of us who prefer to sort out input gain where it actually happens.

VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!