Human being with feelings

want it too
me2beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
zyisrad

Please help a brotha out and read this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38883

It would have saved me from asking for what this is useful.

So for what is this useful?
zyisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Colin OOOD

* Give your Request a meaningful title and summary
Save media items with FX chains and automation envelopes

* Request
Create a variety of actions which save various combinations of items, the FX on their track or their take FX, and relevant track or take FX automation as 'presets' which can be recalled

* Benefit
Improved ability to reuse work and transfer complex elements to and from different projects
Dramatically improve Reaper's functionality as a mastering and post tool

* Reason
My personal reason for needing this functionality is that often in mastering it would solve certain problems to be able to automate aspects of the processing on a client's track. The workflow I have developed using Reaper uses a single track for the mastering chain (which is loaded afresh for each track to be mastered, with rendered masters stacking up beneath it if the job includes multiple tracks or remasters) so a way of saving automation alongside the FX chain is necessary for total recall to be possible, eg. for implementing changes to the mastering at a later date.

* Implementation Suggestion
I'd imagine this functionality being available as new actions, perhaps with the names similar to some of these, depending on implementation (apologies if I get this bit wrong, I've been using Reaper for a year and I'm still not quite clear on terminology for bits of it that I don't currently use):
Item: Save take FX and automation for active take
Item: Save take FX and automation for active take within time selection
Item: Save track FX and automation for selected item
Item: Save track FX and automation for selected item within time selection
Item: Save item with track FX and automation
Item: Save active take with take FX and automation

It's possible that some of this functionality might already be implemented in the "SWS: Save active takes on selected track(s)" action but I haven't been able to find a clear description of it.
Colin OOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:08 PM   #6
mschnell

There is SWS extensions -> Snapshot that in a great way does (most of) this.

There is a manual for SWS. I currently have REAPERPlusSWS171.pdf, but I suppose there is a more current version.

-Michael
Old 01-27-2016, 02:22 AM   #7
musicbynumbers

When saving a track template I think there's a tick box in the save as dialog that allows you to also save items and automation.

The other way you could do it is with subprojects.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:32 AM   #8
J Reverb

You can also save items with fx and automation to project bay.
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
Colin OOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
When saving a track template I think there's a tick box in the save as dialog that allows you to also save items and automation.
Those tickboxes deal with making sure all media are moved or copied into the template's project folder. I don't think they're anything to do with exporting individual items, FX chains or automation
Quote:
The other way you could do it is with subprojects.
Just looking at them now for the first time, subprojects are definitely really neat, but they're not what I need. I need a way of saving FX chains with their automation, ideally independently of any media items, so that I can load them in like FX chains can be at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Reverb View Post
You can also save items with fx and automation to project bay.
My understanding is that the project bay just holds information about the data which comprises the project? I can't find an option that will do what I want. Can you walk me through the saving process that you're thinking of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
There is SWS extensions -> Snapshot that in a great way does (most of) this.
Snapshots look interesting but I really want the saved FX chain/automation package to be project-independent, which these don't seem to be as far as I can tell. I'd like to be able to create a new mastering project, select my mastering track and with one keycommand, load a saved FX chain/automation package, with the automation starting at the cursor. Besides, it seems like rather a faff; there don't appear to be actions to export or import the currently selected snapshot which would appear to make the functionality unachievable with a single custom action. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is quite possible.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
J Reverb

It's a little unclear in the manual but as I understand it you can create a project bay at any time in any project.
You have a source media tab and media items tab next to it.
The Source media is made up of items in the current project and also any imported items you may bring in from your sound library to the project bay.
If you select an item and go to media tab then add selected item you can then save that to the current project bay or to a new one. Best thing to do is try it. The point is if it's just item fx chains and item envelopes you want to save this will do it. However the items are a reference to the audio in your sound library and current project and project bays will not save a copy of the audio with the effects information but will retain the fx and envelope information along with the item properties etc.
Try saving an item with fx etc in a new project bay call it whatever, open a new project and drag it from your new project bay to the screen and you should see the item as it was in the last project.
Good luck, it's actually quite hard to explain lol

I have one for kicks, snares, hats, etc etc..
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin OOOD View Post
Snapshots look interesting but I really want the saved FX chain/automation package to be project-independent, which these don't seem to be as far as I can tell.
You can export a snapshot to a file and hence use it independent of a the current project.

-Michael
Old 01-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #12
Colin OOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You can export a snapshot to a file and hence use it independent of a the current project.
Yes, it's so close - the basic functionality is there but as I said, without actions to export or import the current snapshot, much of the process still has to be done by hand from the snapshot window, which slows the workflow and leaves more room for user error than I'd like!

Assuming snapshots are being used, what I want is to be able to select a track, press a keycommand to execute a custom action, and get the Export Snapshot window where I name and save the FX snapshot. Then I want another keycommand which brings up the Import Snapshot window where I can choose the FX snapshot which then gets automatically applied to the currently-selected track. If this functionality is to be done by using snapshots then each custom action should preserve the previous state of the snapshot window.

Last edited by Colin OOOD; 01-28-2016 at 05:37 PM.