Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
EttiK
Human being with feelings

Default Annoying Midi bugs

Hi. I'm having some problems that are really annoying.
1) Midi playback that "skips" a note. So there are some notes or drum sounds randomly not triggering.
2) Some vsti that keep playing a note even when you stop.

I have transferred the same midis to Ableton and these problems don´t happen. So the midis are good.
What it's going on... I have the 5.70.
EttiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Allspice

Hello!

Sorry to hear you're dealing these problems - I definitely identify.

Just addressing the "hanging notes" issues for a sec- Would you mind giving a little more info on the track settings and which VSTi you're having the note off problems with? Such as, is record monitoring enabled, is the track set to record, which Midi Channels or Ports is it set to record from, etc.

I've got a bug report going for a specific situation where this happens (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=201093) but, truth be told, about half of my plugins need to be sent a NOTE OFF with F3 every time I press Stop. I'm not sure if REAPER is supposed to send an ALL NOTE OFF command when you hit the Transport STOP, but it definitely doesn't on my system.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Allspice

As a temporary workaround to your second issue, I created a LUA script called "Panic if transport stopped" and custom action that helped me. The custom action is "Transport: Play/Stop" followed by the new script "Panic if transport stopped". This way every time you hit stop, it also sends an all-notes-off message to all your plugins.

Code:
-- This function is a workaround for a bug where
-- many VSTis will not respond to REAPER's transport stopping.

-- If the transport is stopped, this script will perform
-- the native action "Send all notes off to all MIDI Outputs/plugins"

function Msg(param)
  reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(param)
end

function Main()

-- integer
  play_state = reaper.GetAllProjectPlayStates( ignoreProject )

-- Determine if the transport is stopped
  if play_state == 0 then

-- If it is, send an all notes off message.
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(40345, 0)

end

end

Main()
Old 01-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
EttiK

Thank you very much. I will use it .
The first bug it's the most annoying to me really. Because this random skips happen even in the renders... so they practically ruin the work.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EttiK View Post
1) Midi playback that "skips" a note. So there are some notes or drum sounds randomly not triggering.
Just to be clear, if you play the same MIDI file more than once, is it the same notes that don't trigger each time or is it different notes with each play back?

EDIT: I should also ask if you're sure all the samples are loaded into RAM before you hit play or render. For example, if Superior Drummer is in "cache" mode, and you open a project and hit play, the notes don't load into RAM until the first time they're triggered. So, for example, the first snare hit won't sound but the second snare hit of the same velocity will (as will the rest in the song).
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Allspice

For the first bug you mentioned, are you able to create some sort of small “test project” where you can get it to happen consistently? It would help in really nailing down the issue.

Once you do that, it may help to document it with logs. There’s a JSFX Midi Logger Plugin that I use to see what exactly REAPER is sending to the plugins I’m testing. It’s in this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189126

I’m trying to battle the missing Note On/Note Off issues as well so hopefully we can find out what’s causing yours. By the way, are you on Windows or Mac?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
EttiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Just to be clear, if you play the same MIDI file more than once, is it the same notes that don't trigger each time or is it different notes with each play back?.
Different notes in random moments. It keeps happening even after a lot of playbacks with no changes.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Allspice

What's your settings for "Flush FX on Stop" under Preferences -> Audio -> Playback?

I just found that if I had this enabled, half my plugins would play endlessly when I stopped playback. I think this is a bug but I'm not sure what this setting is actually for, so I was going to do more testing soon when I had some spare time.

Oh! Also, do you have any devices that continuously send streams of clock or CC data through your MIDI input? I found in that other bug report I posted that sometimes REAPER can exhibit some odd behavior with MIDI notes when there's a lot of MIDI data coming in. I'm not sure if it applies to your situation but it may be worth checking? You can use this application if you like. https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Wish I could help more
Old 01-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
EttiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allspice View Post
What's your settings for "Flush FX on Stop" under Preferences -> Audio -> Playback?

I just found that if I had this enabled, half my plugins would play endlessly when I stopped playback. I think this is a bug but I'm not sure what this setting is actually for, so I was going to do more testing soon when I had some spare time.

Oh! Also, do you have any devices that continuously send streams of clock or CC data through your MIDI input? I found in that other bug report I posted that sometimes REAPER can exhibit some odd behavior with MIDI notes when there's a lot of MIDI data coming in. I'm not sure if it applies to your situation but it may be worth checking? You can use this application if you like. https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Wish I could help more
I have it enable. I will try with it off.
I only have a midi controller and i normally use only the notes so i don´t think so.
The bug of the skip midi notes its the one that annoys me the most. Because in the render can happen too so it ruins the render.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
LugNut

Hi,
Are you rendering at more than 1.0 speed?
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
EttiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
Are you rendering at more than 1.0 speed?
Yeah, that doesn't seam to matter. It happens in the playback and in render. There is some kind of weird glitchy code in some option or something, i don´t understand otherwise.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #12
Allspice

Would you mind sharing details on your computer specs and any hardware used while this is occurring? I'm curious if the missing notes exhibit the same behavior if everything is unplugged and all MIDI/audio devices are disabled - just to rule out some compatibility issue with REAPER.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
EttiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allspice View Post
Would you mind sharing details on your computer specs and any hardware used while this is occurring? I'm curious if the missing notes exhibit the same behavior if everything is unplugged and all MIDI/audio devices are disabled - just to rule out some compatibility issue with REAPER.
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
Interface: U-PHORIA UMC204/ M- audio fast track pro (It happens in both and if i don´t use any of them too)
Midi Controller: Roland A-800 PRO

I don´t remember if i tried with the midi controller unplugged i would try it later but it seams weird.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #14
CPG

Default Midi Send during Playback

I'm having an issue where when I try to send MIDI (using a hardware MIDI controller, Behringer FCB1010) from a MIDI track to a track with a guitar modeling plugin (BIAS FX), it works fine UNTIL I hit the play button. Then, I can still see MIDI signal coming into the MIDI track, but it doesn't SEND to the BIAS FX track.

Any ideas?
CPG is offline   Reply With Quote