Old 07-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #481
Mike Stop Continues
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
You should think about a career in politics after this menu gig.
If it's most definitely what the people want, who am I but to humbly mirror their smile, match their breathing, and let them know they can rest safely and, only after I'm elected, blissfully. That's the truth even my opponents will take to the bank and lock down deep, in the safe, where interest will grow until it matures in 6 months time and we can vote to roll it over for another term because if it was me, that's what I'd do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
1 and 3 are okay with me.

Don't know what a kind of walk an alt-walk is. But if it is something Monthy Python like I am all for it.
LOL. Wish it were. Alt-walk is sorta like keyboard shortcuts for people without keyboard shortcuts. You press alt and then use the keyboard to navigate the menus to get to what you need to. If you're a good typer, it's likely to be a real time saver after a little experimentation.

I'll make the arrangements for the 008 release.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #482
Mike Stop Continues

Question: How do you get to the context menus for alt-walking? The context menu button doesn't do anything...
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #483
Fabian

Default How to get back the default menu set?

I gotta be more stupid than I think... but running Reaper x86 3.651 on W7x64 I cannot for the life of me get back the original default Reaper menu set.

I click Actions > Action List > Menu Editor > Import and in the "Load Menu [Set]:" dialog that opens I select "Default.ReaperMenuSet" from C:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER\MenuSets, but no menus change. I do get the prompt to confirm menu set load, but I still get ReaMenus. I even re-installed Reaper to a new dir but still cannot get the original menus loaded.

Maybe unrelated... but, the dir "C:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER\MenuSets" does not show up in Explorer, it only shows in the "Load Menu [Set]:" dialog. And I have "Show all folders" and "Show hidden files, folders and drives" checked, so that's not the problem.

Any ideas, hints...?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #484
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I gotta be more stupid than I think... but running Reaper x86 3.651 on W7x64 I cannot for the life of me get back the original default Reaper menu set.

Any ideas, hints...?
I'd like to think you just want to keep ReaMenus that much!

In the Menus/Toolbars windows, there's a button named Reset. You can use that button to restore one or more of the default menus instantly.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #485
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stop Continues View Post
I'd like to think you just want to keep ReaMenus that much!

In the Menus/Toolbars windows, there's a button named Reset. You can use that button to restore one or more of the default menus instantly.
OK, thanks, that did the trick. Didn't solve my original problem, though, of loading the menu set I saved before installing ReaMenus, the one with my custom actions, menus, etc...

Well, well, maybe it is simply that I want to keep ReaMenus that much...
Old 07-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #486
musicroom

Hi Mike,

I searched this thread to find out if this observation had been mentioned before.

--> Media Item Context
----> Render
-------> Apply Track fx to Items (This is listed 5x)
-------> Apply Track fx to Items
------------------------

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #487
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
--> Media Item Context
----> Render
-------> Apply Track fx to Items (This is listed 5x)
------------------------
Ahh!

Actually there was a little bug in the Splicer that I fixed just after it was released that cut the item names at the parenthesis. Those are actually five different items. If you re-import/re-splice the menus, the items will display correctly.

I would wait until I finish with 008 though. I've been really busy and with the alt-walk and the removal of 'selected' it's a little late. It will definitely be done by the end of the week.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #488
metamorphosis

Quote:
Download ReaMenus #007!

There's been constant criticism against REAPER's default menu set and for good reason. They're too disorganized! The default set is off-putting to newcomers and makes the REAPER seem like it isn't the best DAW on the market.
Thank you, thank you, thank you-
as a new user I have to say the above is absolutely true -
and I think there is no reason - whatsoever - why this shouldn't be the default menu-set.
These are better - in every respect. Justin should take notice - if he hasn't already!
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #489
hopi

maybe this should go in a diff thread, but after working with the toolbars and menus and actions now for some time, I really wonder if it could not be an even easier operation.

Like, instead of all the Add then select, etc., how about just drag and drop from the action to the menu's?

Even being able to select multiple actions and add them all at once would help... for example, when there are a bunch of actions like the list for show fx 1, fx 2, etc.... it would be nice to be able to just add the whole pile to a sub folder in one stroke.

OK...ever on
Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #490
musicroom

Quote:
Ahh!

Actually there was a little bug in the Splicer that I fixed just after it was released that cut the item names at the parenthesis. Those are actually five different items. If you re-import/re-splice the menus, the items will display correctly.

I would wait until I finish with 008 though. I've been really busy and with the alt-walk and the removal of 'selected' it's a little late. It will definitely be done by the end of the week.
No problem. Love the menus and look forward to 008!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #491
EvilDragon

MSC, two things you could do for ReaMenus #008:

[img]http://img696.**************/img696/328/newmenus.gif[/img]
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #492
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
MSC, two things you could do for ReaMenus #008:

[img]http://img696.**************/img696/328/newmenus.gif[/img]
Both of these would be great for a lot of us! +1
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #493
Mike Stop Continues

You got it!

I would have responded sooner, but the image wasn't loading earlier today.

My work on the menus is almost complete, so when 3.66 is out, so will 008 be.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 AM   #494
EvilDragon

MSC, another thing you should do in #008:

[IMG]http://a.**************/img822/9173/reamenus8fr.png[/IMG]

Notice that I expanded most of things from "More...", at least when takes are concerned. This is because I use Explode/Implode from time to time, and I hate to see it buried in the second level. I would suggest you do the same - expand the "More..." from :: Takes :: all out - the menu is 508 px high, which is still well under your requirements for ReaMenus!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #495
spikemullings

Mike, sorry if already done or already mentioned but if not, on Takes/Editing I think you need to change "Crop active take" to "Crop to active take"

Something like that anyway - at work ATM so not at Reap.
Looking forward to 008 and thanks for all this.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #496
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
MSC, another thing you should do in #008:

[IMG]http://a.**************/img822/9173/reamenus8fr.png[/IMG]

I actually did something very close to this. I really thought I posted about it, but I can't find it now.

Quote:
Mike, sorry if already done or already mentioned but if not, on Takes/Editing I think you need to change "Crop active take" to "Crop to active take"
I'll get that ironed out.

---

What's kept 008 this long has to do with a few things, namely, the Options options (which may not make this release), a few bug fixes for the splicer (which is actually needed now that we've got a new version), the alt-walk/selected fixes, and the impending release of a big 3.66. Everything but the release of 3.66 is taken into account and as soon as 3.66 is released, ReaMenus will be ready as well. Your patience will be rewarded.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #497
Kundalinguist

Don't stop, Mike. Please continue.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Looking forward to #008.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #498
musicbynumbers

looking forward to 008 too
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #499
Fabian

Alright now... 3.66 been up for almost 24 hours, where's 008...?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #500
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
lol
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #501
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
ReaMenus 008 is alive!!!

Get it here!

Remember to use the splicer to save your custom menu headers/footers.

Make sure you provide valuable feedback here, or else how will ReaMenus get even better?

Make sure you read the Version History at the bottom of the download page.

---

The future Options options:

As soon as I am able, the Splicer will provide options to do the following:
  • Expand (similar to 007), condense (similar to 008), or complete remove options available on the [Main options] menu (:: WORKFLOW :: and everything below it).
  • Expand (like in 008), condense (in a single submenu called Options->), or completely remove context-based options from the context menus (namely Transport, Timeline, Tracks, Items, Automation).

---

The removal of 'selected':

What seems like it would be an easy task, in reality is somewhat complicated. In many places, it's not possible to remove 'selected' from action names and in the places where the 'selected' is completely redundant, doing so would cause an unappealing kind of asymmetry. In most cases, the ambiguity introduced might violate the chief tentant of awesomeness of ReaMenus, namely usability. As I find places where the 'selected' can specifically be removed, I'll do it, and I invite each of you to post about where you think it's needed or unnecessary. Very few were removed in the update process for 008.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #502
Mr B.

I have just downloaded it and I am sold.
Works great on my mac
Mr B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #503
Sound asleep

i'll post some feedback, i am still using 006 i do believe because there were some things i really think are standard for menus that are missing, i posted some of them, but also simple things like delete and copy and paste and stuff. i like to right click those often and i need them at the top of the list. i realize that there are other methods to activate these actions but there are times where i just want to use my mouse and have quick access to lots of commands, one thing i like about it is i never have to take my eyes of the screen for those.

but anyways, i have customized and am customizing, the menu set as i go, whenever i encounter something i don't like. so updating would ruin all of that.

your splicing idea is great, and you did real well to figure out that system and build that resource for download. but, i don't recall why exactly now, the splicer didn't protect my configured menus completely.

now we are getting new actions more and more. this is part of the reason the reaper menus are so messy, there are just so many actions that keep coming and coming.

what i'd really like, the way i'd really like for reamenus to work, would be for it to somehow look at the menus i have, and anything i have created that is not in reamenus gets left alone, and everything that's in reamenus that i've not added, or no, that is new in a new release (maybe people would specifically want to remove some menus) gets added. that way i can load up the newest reamenus, get everything new all reorganized, and everything else the way i left it would stay the way i like it.

maybe there's already a way to do this, idk, but this is basically what i'd want. to keep everything i have, and only add the new actions in a new update, organized reamenu style.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #504
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
i'll post some feedback,

your splicing idea is great, and you did real well to figure out that system and build that resource for download.

now we are getting new actions more and more. this is part of the reason the reaper menus are so messy, there are just so many actions that keep coming and coming.

what i'd really like, the way i'd really like for reamenus to work, would be for it to somehow look at the menus i have, and anything i have created that is not in reamenus gets left alone, and everything that's in reamenus that i've not added, or no, that is new in a new release (maybe people would specifically want to remove some menus) gets added.
I know exactly the kind of thing you're looking for. Something like when you merge two documents in text editor, right? Or even easier, displaying ReaMenus in the 'default menu' area for drag-and-drop changes to your custom menu set.

Every time I work on the splicer, I build the codebase a little bit closer to "the perfect upgrade". There is of course limits to that behavior. Some can be overcome. #protect-submenu tags will eventually be enabled. I've got other ideas to stretch the behavior even further.

But the big problem is that the splicer is a workaround. Were we able to replace the default menu set with ReaMenus, users would be free to drag-and-drop updates from the right column into the left and "have it your way".

I'm wishing for someone to come forward to write a plugin (preferably, to add to SWS) a simple toggle for 'Make ReaMenus the default menu set'.

But as for ReaMenus 006, 008 is worlds away. If you simply MUST not need more than a protected top and bottom of your menus, then I guess you don't need to upgrade, but if you can possibly manage, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the newer menus. Even though certain actions may not default to the top of the menu set, I think you'll find all of the actions you wanted on the menus are actually on the menus now.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #505
EvilDragon

I'm the hard-working guy. I splice your menus manually - this is the only way I can be 100% sure everything is in the place I want it to be!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #506
musicbynumbers

Default found a little "niggle" :)

Loving your menuset mike and have turned some friends on to it. Will send you a little donation at some point!

I found that in 008 the full version overwrites the midi toolbar which is strange as it doesn't wipe any of the others which points towards it being a menu you forget to reset before posting it. It's not a big deal I managed to merge them so all is good!

again.. excellent job and thanks for giving a big thing back to the community!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #507
tombuur

Thanks for 008. I think it should be the default for Reaper.

As relatively new to Reaper I have a couple of questions.

I already had 007 installed. Do use the Reaper facility to go back to default and then install 008? Or is the Splicer something to use here? Or is the Splicer only used in case I have made my own or added someone else's customizations?

I can't figure this out. Maybe you should just write 2-3 lines explaining it in your download page.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #508
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Thanks for 008. I think it should be the default for Reaper.

As relatively new to Reaper I have a couple of questions.

I already had 007 installed. Do use the Reaper facility to go back to default and then install 008? Or is the Splicer something to use here? Or is the Splicer only used in case I have made my own or added someone else's customizations?

I can't figure this out. Maybe you should just write 2-3 lines explaining it in your download page.
I do have stuff written in the folded boxes, but perhaps the folded box I'm thinking about is in the place where you click on the splicer.

If you haven't made any customizations, you can just install the menu set from within REAPER. If you had made customizations, it works like this:
  • In the menu customization window, you can double click on any separator and give it a hidden name.
  • Naming any separator "#protect-menu" will, when splicing, NOT update that particular menu. This is good if you made a LOT of customizations.
  • "#protect-above" (if not nested within a submenu) will make a copy of everything above it and paste it to the top of the new menu.
  • "#protect-below" will copy the bottom of the old menu to paste to the bottom of the new one.
  • The splicer makes a custom menu set that you must install from within REAPER.

The Splicer does do a little more than just splice the menus. You can customize the case (UPPER, lower, Like sentence, Like Title), prefix, and suffix of actions, submenus and labels. You can also remove all the labels from the menus to condense them a little bit.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #509
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Loving your menuset mike and have turned some friends on to it. Will send you a little donation at some point!

I found that in 008 the full version overwrites the midi toolbar.
I tried to get some feedback about including the MIDI toolbars a while back and got an ambiguous response, but every version release, someone is surprised by them, so I've officially removed them from the set.

As for the menus, I think of ReaMenus as the community menu set, and I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting donation for it. If you're that pleased, I'd rather you find yourself making noise in various locations for introducing the community menus more deeply into the core. That would please me greatly.

Above all, thanks for your support!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #510
bitrate

One question on your great menu set: Is there any reason why this would slow down or change any responsiveness from that of the default menus? With ReaMenus, when inserting a track with virtual instrument, for example, it pauses a bit before bringing up the FX window; whereas with the default menus, it was instant. I'm just wondering if the act of menu rearrangement is doing some sort of cross-referencing that accounts for the pause? or if it is no difference basically from the operation of the default, only just rearranged text? I'm always one for keeping the computer running as efficiently as possible without extra baggage, so was curious.
bitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #511
EvilDragon

* "Fx" and "fx" -> "FX" (lots of places, search-replace with case sensitivity turned on)

* "pip" -> "PiP" (main menu->Insert)

* "Reascript" -> "ReaScript (main menu->Extensions)

* "Reaconsole" -> "ReaConsole (main menu->Extensions)

* "by a/b" -> "by A/B" (main menu->Extensions->Pitch, and other places using "custom set a/b" etc.)

* "db" -> "dB"

* "Send 'notes off'" -> please rename this to "All Notes Off" (capitalized like that) because that's the actual name of MIDI command being sent. Accuracy of nomenclature is important on this one! In fact, just shorten this command to "Send "All Notes Off"".

* "F1-f12 keys" -> "F1-F12" (in the MIDI editor menus)

* MIDI context editor doesn't have the alt-walk done?

* you can remove 1 in "by 1 pixel" actions, possibly

* perhaps you can rename "one semitone/octave down/up" actions to "semitone/octave up/down", simply?

* consistency: the menu entry is called "Snap and grid settings", and the sublevel containing that command is "Snapping/grid". Perhaps rename that sublevel to "Snap and grid" as well?

* to extend that: rename all instances of "snapping" to "snap". It's still clear what it will do.

* I think it might be cool to remove "Interface", "Editing Mode" and "Media" from item context menu, but to leave those in the main arrange view context!

* I also think (IMHO) that Options menu is now too much level 2 based - drag more important options out one level, now it feels too condensed, at least to me.

I don't know why my MIDI toolbars have resetted when I loaded 008. Gladly I have them saved as separate files

If I find more typos or errors, you know I'll post!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 08-07-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #512
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
* "Fx" and "fx" -> "FX" (lots of places, search-replace with case sensitivity turned on)

* "pip" -> "PiP" (main menu->Insert)

* "Reascript" -> "ReaScript (main menu->Extensions)

* "Reaconsole" -> "ReaConsole (main menu->Extensions)

* "by a/b" -> "by A/B" (main menu->Extensions->Pitch, and other places using "custom set a/b" etc.)

* "db" -> "dB"

* "Send 'notes off'" -> please rename this to "All Notes Off" (capitalized like that) because that's the actual name of MIDI command being sent. Accuracy of nomenclature is important on this one! In fact, just shorten this command to "Send "All Notes Off"".

* "F1-f12 keys" -> "F1-F12" (in the MIDI editor menus)

* MIDI context editor doesn't have the alt-walk done?

* you can remove 1 in "by 1 pixel" actions, possibly

* perhaps you can rename "one semitone/octave down/up" actions to "semitone/octave up/down", simply?

* consistency: the menu entry is called "Snap and grid settings", and the sublevel containing that command is "Snapping/grid". Perhaps rename that sublevel to "Snap and grid" as well?

* to extend that: rename all instances of "snapping" to "snap". It's still clear what it will do.

* I think it might be cool to remove "Interface", "Editing Mode" and "Media" from item context menu, but to leave those in the main arrange view context!

* I also think (IMHO) that Options menu is now too much level 2 based - drag more important options out one level, now it feels too condensed, at least to me.

I don't know why my MIDI toolbars have resetted when I loaded 008. Gladly I have them saved as separate files

If I find more typos or errors, you know I'll post!
The Options menu, I know, seems a little deep now. You'll remember that with the Options options you'll be able to expand them. The real question is what the default state of the Options menu and the options-in-the-context-menus should be. Right now the Options menu is condensed and the context menus are expanded. Should they be switched? Or should all be condensed? Or all expanded? The reason I showed both was for feedback. What do you suggest?

Moving the item context options to the arrange context is a good idea, though those options definitely relate only to items, you know?

Thanks for pointing out (everything really!) the MIDI context (and the mixer context). I wasn't aware that the app button can call them up. I'm going to make a feature request for the app button to work in the main window (shows specific menu depending on focus) soon.

Everything except the options suggestions (waiting for more feedback) and the 1 pixel/semitone/octave has been corrected. As ever, editor, thank you.

Last edited by Mike Stop Continues; 08-07-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Changes to ReaMenus 008 made
Mike Stop Continues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #513
EvilDragon

Actually scratch that 1 pixel suggestion.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #514
EvilDragon

Licecap -> LICEcap

Reaconsole -> ReaConsole

vmk -> VMK
Old 08-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #515
audioguytodd

Thanks for 008 Mike!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #516
xpander

Quote:
I'm the hard-working guy. I splice your menus manually - this is the only way I can be 100% sure everything is in the place I want it to be!
Me too, although I'm still finding and replacing stuff. Much like Sound asleep, I veered off at ReaMenu 006, configured that as I would like my menus to be and have been updating everything by hand ever since. Hardest part for me is keeping track where all the new features are. It's not just a matter of finding them from the default menu, but then trying to decide where exactly to place them in the customized version. On few menus I had to go back to defaults. The customized version got too complicated, broken...without a total rework. And that in itself became almost opposite of the basic idea of easy working menus, working on menus.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #517
EvilDragon

Lfo -> LFO (envelope and env point contexts)
Old 08-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #518
musicbynumbers

Did the "clean project directory" function get forgotten about?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #519
Kundalinguist

Your work is definitely getting prettier, Mike. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #520
Link0126

So where is this "define reference track" "toggle reference track" stuff?
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote