Old 09-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default New Song - Semi Hollow

This song started out as a riff on my Semi-Hollow 12-String electric. After recording that bit, I added a track of my Semi-Hollow 6-String electric, and from there it evolved into this song. I'm playing all the instruments and singing all the vocals on this one.

This song includes the two Semi-Hollow guitars mentioned before, plus a Fender Strat, a Gibson L6S, Gretsch Jr. Jet bass, Fender Rhodes, and acoustic drums. There is also a section in the middle that has orchestral strings and horns with baritone sax, tenor sax, trumpet, and trombone.

This one is titled "Semi Hollow" since those two guitars are the main staples throughout the song.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13635860
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
msundh

Great production.
Are the brass the real thing or VST? They sounded quite good.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Great production.
Are the brass the real thing or VST? They sounded quite good.
Thanks Mikael. The horns are a whole lot of things I put together to try and sound like a horn section. I'm using the VSL brass ensemble and trombones from Kontakt for longer sustaining notes, and individual soundfonts for baritone sax, tenor sax, trumpet, and brass section.

In all, there are six individual tracks, and I didn't auto-correct them, so when they hit punches, they don't all hit exactly together. Having imperfect timing lets the individual sounds be heard better, since they are not stepping on each other 100%, and the slightly looser feel makes it sound like more individual people playing, rather than one guy on a midi keyboard. :-)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
This song started out as a riff on my Semi-Hollow 12-String electric. After recording that bit, I added a track of my Semi-Hollow 6-String electric, and from there it evolved into this song. I'm playing all the instruments and singing all the vocals on this one.

This song includes the two Semi-Hollow guitars mentioned before, plus a Fender Strat, a Gibson L6S, Gretsch Jr. Jet bass, Fender Rhodes, and acoustic drums. There is also a section in the middle that has orchestral strings and horns with baritone sax, tenor sax, trumpet, and trombone.

This one is titled "Semi Hollow" since those two guitars are the main staples throughout the song.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13635860
Great one.
I'm very impressed!
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
zeekat

Sounds solid to me.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Great one.
I'm very impressed!
Thanks G! :-)
Old 09-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Sounds solid to me.
Tanks Mon! :-)
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
RDBOIS
Banned

Good song, prod and mixing.

A tad too busy for my taste; like a wall of sound; perhaps like a stack of diamonds, can't fully appreciate the beauty of the stones. Or... kind of like a forest of trees; it's a nice landscape, but it's difficult to see the individual trees.

It's all relative, but I can image a mix where the various sounds move in and out of the focus, keeping the whole, but forcing us to appreciate every single instrument.

Fun song; has a 60-70s psyhippie feel.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
zeekat

Feels kinda XTC influenced to me.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Good song, prod and mixing.

A tad too busy for my taste; like a wall of sound; perhaps like a stack of diamonds, can't fully appreciate the beauty of the stones. Or... kind of like a forest of trees; it's a nice landscape, but it's difficult to see the individual trees.

It's all relative, but I can image a mix where the various sounds move in and out of the focus, keeping the whole, but forcing us to appreciate every single instrument.

Fun song; has a 60-70s psyhippie feel.
Thanks for the feedback. Your songs are always super high production quality. I seem to just grab instruments and slap tracks on until it starts sounding like something, then try to balance it all as if it were a live performance.

Maybe with Reaper's new automation tricks I'll start trying to use more automation. The only thing I automated in this mix was the echo vocal effect at the end. Everything else is a static mix that never changes.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Feels kinda XTC influenced to me.
Listening to Skylarking right now. I had not really listened to XTC before. Pretty cool album! Don't know how I missed hearing them because I knew their name, but after reading your post I couldn't think of any songs I remembered by them, so I went to YouTube and looked 'em up.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Your songs are always super high production quality. I seem to just grab instruments and slap tracks on until it starts sounding like something, then try to balance it all as if it were a live performance.
I like the raw live feeling of your songs. Exciting stuff and I can tell you're a talented musician.

My stuff is ElCheapo gear, no amps, no room, cheap pc, not much hardware, ... I have Reaper, free VST, and the time to polish disconnected sounds. I guess I'm forced to get into the production/song arrangement thing, because I'm not set up to do the live, raw, exciting musicianship stuff.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I like the raw live feeling of your songs. Exciting stuff and I can tell you're a talented musician.

My stuff is ElCheapo gear, no amps, no room, cheap pc, not much hardware, ... I have Reaper, free VST, and the time to polish disconnected sounds. I guess I'm forced to get into the production/song arrangement thing, because I'm not set up to do the live, raw, exciting musicianship stuff.
Well, I really like the sound of the music you produce. The very first song of yours I played, my ears perked right up, and I'm not so easily impressed. Not because I'm a snob or egotistical, but because I've worked as a professional musician for over 40 years and heard a lot of people's music in that time frame. Yours really stands out, plus you are a really good sounding vocalist.