Old 04-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
zubin
Human being with feelings

Default SSL UF8 test - MOVED

5-10-2021 MOVED HERE https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...30#post2442530

Hey all,

I'd been eying this for a while, to use with Reaper alongside Pro Tools (and possible to make it easier to mix projects that live in Ableton/Logic). There's very little info on using it with Reaper online, so I wanted to post my initial findings.

I got it going using the Logic Pro (Mackie) layer. I might try others just to see what works the smoothest, but so far I can confirm the following immediately works:

- Scribble strip display
- Volume faders
- Pan knobs
- Selection (tracks selected in Reaper become selected on UF8, tracks selected on UF8 become selected in Reaper. One thing is that hitting select on the UF8 adds tracks to the selection rather than just selects the new track you've pressed; basically as if you're holding down the 'shift' button on the Pro Tools setting)
- Automation mode selection on each track
- The nav scroll wheel and arrow keys
- The horizontal/vertical scroll with arrow keys
- Record enable per track
- Banking/scrolling tracks
- Flip mode for volume/panning (nice thing here - if you press the knob in it sets to zero, which works for pan and volume. Helpful because the dedicated 'zero' function isn't working)
- The basic soft key assignments - start, stop, record, rewind/forward (though this is moving to next markers)

Things that don't seem to be working out of the box:
- Sends
- Plugin Editing
- Nudge
- The 'fine' button for panning
- The 'clear', 'all', and 'zero' secondary function buttons

Overall I'm pretty psyched! My main use for it is just basic volume and pan, which works beautifully and perfectly. The only significant bummer for me so far is the sends, I'd love to figure out a workaround to get those working.

One reason I ended up pulling the trigger on this is that I do get the sense that between the expansive options present in the SSL 360 software and Reaper's infinite programmability I'm gonna be able to get this to do whatever extra things I'd like. There are tons of buttons that can be assigned to keyboard sequences, so this thing will definitely become a reaper action playground. When I have more time I'll start thinking of script options for a sends function, that would make this 100% great.

I can also confirm that it works great in Pro Tools, and switching between the layers also works as hoped. This was another important thing for me - I switch between the two a lot and often have both open, this seemed like the best (only?) device that would allow me to move between controlling the two softwares quickly without any fear of overlap. It's lovely to be able to have reaper open but control Pro Tools with the UF8, it allows for some cool workflow options while using both softwares. I also sometimes run Ableton direct in to Pro Tools, this will be beautiful for that use as well.

Hope that helps! It was a bit scary getting this with no reaper information anywhere, so I wanted to report back quickly, but I'll have more to say after a week or so. Feel free to ask for any tests or anything. And if anyone else has one or is thinking of getting one, I'd love to start sharing workflows/scripts/etc to build up the capabilities of this thing.

Last edited by zubin; 05-10-2021 at 11:10 AM.
zubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:06 AM   #2
mschnell

Did you take a look at the CSI Reape extension, ß

Issues with control surface device are better handled in the "control Surfaces" subforum,
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
MixR

Thank you for your post. I have just purchased a UF8 for use with Reaper and would like to add my findings - could you move/re-post this in the Control Surface section, please?
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
zubin

Hey, yeah! sorry i'm relatively new to the forum - will try to figure out how to do that now and then do it
Old 05-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #5
zubin

I'm having trouble figuring out how to move the thread - any guidance?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubin View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out how to move the thread - any guidance?
Perhaps just copy and paste your findings here - this seems like a thread with UF8 in the title that already has an answer from airon.
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=249074
Then mark the title of this thread Moved and put a link to the other post in your first post.
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
zubin

Sounds good, thanks. It'll be up in a sec