Old 05-10-2021, 03:47 AM   #1
fyretyne
Human being with feelings

Default VST folder exclusion

Hi, I know this is a very niche request, but over the years I ended up with huge subdirectory tree in my main VST plugin folder, and Reaper scans the full tree every time for plugins, makes the loading time long. I would move the main directory but I'd have to redo 100+ presets at this point. Either way, it's painful. I don't know how many people would be interested in this, and feel free to ignore if I'm the only one... but can we add a folder exclusion to VST paths? Cheers.

Pete
fyretyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #2
EvilDragon

You can disable scanning for plugins on Reaper startup. Preferences->Plugins->VST.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
foxAsteria

I wonder if hiding the folder prevents Reaper from checking it.

But why would moving the folder force you to "redo 100+ presets?" As long as the plugin names stay the same, Reaper doesn't care where they live and any presets should still work.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:07 AM   #4
fyretyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I wonder if hiding the folder prevents Reaper from checking it.

But why would moving the folder force you to "redo 100+ presets?" As long as the plugin names stay the same, Reaper doesn't care where they live and any presets should still work.
It's a bunch of IRs and samples that plugins call upon. That's the problem, the folder tree is scanned every time cause (at the time, not very wisely) I put it in the same main folder as the plugins. Over time both plugins and IRs grew in numbers. I might try disabling the autoscan, although I do like it - not sure if things will go wrong if the plugins are updated and are not re-scanned.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:13 AM   #5
EvilDragon

If you move those IR folders away from the plugin folder, but link to it via symlink, then Reaper won't scan through them.

BTW updating a plugin has no bearing to plugin scanning, unless the plugin ID changes or plugin filename changes. Plus you can always trigger a rescan manually by pressing F5 in the FX browser.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-11-2021 at 03:18 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
fyretyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
If you move those IR folders away from the plugin folder, but link to it via symlink, then Reaper won't scan through them.

BTW updating a plugin has no bearing to plugin scanning, unless the plugin ID changes or plugin filename changes. Plus you can always trigger a rescan manually by pressing F5 in the FX browser.
I think the symlink did the trick! Thanks!
Old 05-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Gosh that would have been good to know a couple years ago. I ran into this same issue and ended up re-linking all my reverb presets to the new IR locations manually...like a noob.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:34 AM   #8
fyretyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Gosh that would have been good to know a couple years ago. I ran into this same issue and ended up re-linking all my reverb presets to the new IR locations manually...like a noob.
Quick update: Reaper didn't care it was a symlink, today it scanned it through again... Not sure how the scan cache works but I guess that was it yesterday. I'm going to experiment with this further, but FYI it may not worked after all.