Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
producer
Human being with feelings

Default Logic X is out

exploring
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Lawrence

Looks pretty nice.

http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
producer

Default SEXY yes

Bought it
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
ned

We expect a full report now
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
philait

I'll probably upgrade/buy just to get Drummer. I used jamstix a lot on Windows and even though it was quirky as hell it was useful. TBH I've paid more than the purchase price for single plugins never mind the full package. So i can't complain on that front!
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
airon

A decent little overview is available for free here:

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/...in-logic-pro-x
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
adaragray

wow, it even has a build in reatune now
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
karbomusic

I actually would have stayed with Logic had they not dropped the PC version when Apple purchased them way back when. I still have the last PC version that used the serial port dongle somewhere around here.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Lawrence

Apple being who they are can do what nobody else in their position can really do, deliver a relative - shit load - of workstation products and instruments for $200. By not making a Win version they also ensure that anyone using it is also using their computers and OS, well.... Hackintosh aside for the computer, but you still need their OS.

When you look at everything that comes with Logic, that package has no equal for that price. I can't image any scenario where the full Cubase or Sonar or Samp or PT or Live would ever sell for $200.

Of course, some people just won't like the product in any case, which is true of any product at any price, but for those who do, fantastic value.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Reno.thestraws

Inspired by garage band for iOS a lot!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Inspired by garage band for iOS a lot!
"Surprise".

Again, I'd like to just say.... in the future, the winner will be the dominant, most familiar UI. The present generation of kids growing up using Garage Band on their phones are going to want to migrate to a familiar UI. *And that's wayyyy more people upgrading" to a particular DAW than any other demographic".

IMO.

Just saying.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
musicbynumbers

Nice to see that reaper also influences as well as "reaps"

I'm not going to comment on logic x till I've tried it myself (if that ever happens)

Two things I would like from this release to be in reaper though.

1. ARA support!

2."snapshots" of the current project saved within the same file. There's lots of reasons that I tend to incrementally save in Reaper which obviously creates lots of files but wouldn't mind an option to do this within one Reaper project only
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Apple being who they are can do what nobody else in their position can really do, deliver a relative - shit load - of workstation products and instruments for $200. By not making a Win version they also ensure that anyone using it is also using their computers and OS, well.... Hackintosh aside for the computer, but you still need their OS.

When you look at everything that comes with Logic, that package has no equal for that price. I can't image any scenario where the full Cubase or Sonar or Samp or PT or Live would ever sell for $200.

Of course, some people just won't like the product in any case, which is true of any product at any price, but for those who do, fantastic value.
hard to argue with that It's a pretty big carrot leading straight to buying a mac.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaragray View Post
wow, it even has a build in reatune now
It's a bit more advanced than reatune by the looks of it but it would only take ARA support to have full on polyphonic melodyne in Reaper!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
musicbynumbers

No support anymore for 32 bit AUs it seems. There's bound to be other Caveats too. I'll see what happens this year at my college and see how us teachers get on with it but I saw it crash already in the first review I looked at and had a few bugs come up with the smart controls. Not the best start!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
musicbynumbers

It looks like apple has been gearing up for touchscreens for a long time now and logic x screams touch.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Nice to see that reaper also influences as well
Strangely enough, every official daw forum I've read so far is saying the same thing (as usual) that a new version of whatever DAW copied them.

Major daw releases are always very interesting times for casual observers. . Cubasers are saying they copied Variaudio, but Logic's looks much better done to me.

Tribaism at it's finest.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
StrangeSound

Looks quite good! Who could tell that this would happen and for 199 bucks it's a steal for sure. Maybe Logic will become the new standard again after Avid's latest moves. Looks so tidy and....logic.
StrangeSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
Hellbird

Default where is the drum map

logic pro 9 is working fine for me. what I'm really missing is a drum map similar to reaper or cubase as an alternative to the piano roll (it works, but feels just not right for editing mididrums). i won't need that "sampledrummingthing" with prefixed grooves inside pro x. a good drummap would have been a real value for one having enough creativity to develop own original grooves instead of using kind of a "garageband-pro-drummer". the new features seem to be more fillers than killers. sure it still is a great value for 179€ for those switching from other daws or buying the first "big one". but no reason for me to upgrade. but i like the gui. obviously it's the main reason to call it X instead of 9.5. maybe otherwise nobody would have noticed it is new
Hellbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
producer

Quote:
hard to argue with that It's a pretty big carrot leading straight to buying a mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

Agree very much on that comment
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #21
producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
logic pro 9 is working fine for me. what I'm really missing is a drum map similar to reaper or cubase as an alternative to the piano roll (it works, but feels just not right for editing mididrums). i won't need that "sampledrummingthing" with prefixed grooves inside pro x. a good drummap would have been a real value for one having enough creativity to develop own original grooves instead of using kind of a "garageband-pro-drummer". the new features seem to be more fillers than killers. sure it still is a great value for 179€ for those switching from other daws or buying the first "big one". but no reason for me to upgrade. but i like the gui. obviously it's the main reason to call it X instead of 9.5. maybe otherwise nobody would have noticed it is new
Isn't ultrabeat solving this ? Midi is upgraded in LX, but not the full overview yet
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
producer

Default Logic remote

Quote:
It looks like apple has been gearing up for touchscreens for a long time now and logic x screams touch.
At least you can thouch it with Logic remote on iPad........
Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
producer

Default No 32 bit support

Quote:
No support anymore for 32 bit AUs it seems. There's bound to be other Caveats too. I'll see what happens this year at my college and see how us teachers get on with it but I saw it crash already in the first review I looked at and had a few bugs come up with the smart controls. Not the best start!
Confirm..
Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #24
Janne83

AS a long time Logic user this is the first time I must say im not doing any backflips.

This is all they could together in 4 years? pitch correction, folders, few midi plugins and a strange new GUI (somewhat feels like a hybrid between garageband and fcpx, too dark)oh yes and also a ton of new loops. Lame. What happened to the Redmatica stuff they bought? No sign of any audio editin improvements, even maybe update to support 32 bit FP files?

Im wondering if the lag issues still persist in this new version

ANd dont worry some of the bugs will be resolved in the next 0.1 update next year

Somehow im glad. theyve helped me to decide. Im moving all my music production options to PC (already have a HP elitebook as a mobile rig and its absolutely a beast) using Reaper and Studio One. Im also updating our desktop line in the fall and Ill gladly skip the black coffee grinder for self build PC machines. the only thing Ill really miss are the kernel panics I had quite often with 10.8 :P

J

Last edited by Janne83; 07-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Janne83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
producer

Default Do your home work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
AS a long time Logic user this is the first time I must say im not doing any backflips.

This is all they could together in 4 years? pitch correction, folders, few midi plugins and a strange new GUI (somewhat feels like a hybrid between garageband and fcpx, too dark)oh yes and also a ton of new loops. Lame. What happened to the Redmatica stuff they bought? No sign of any audio editin improvements, even maybe update to support 32 bit FP files?

Im wondering if the lag issues still persist in this new version

ANd dont worry some of the bugs will be resolved in the next 0.1 update next year

Somehow im glad. theyve helped me to decide. Im moving all my music production options to PC (already have a HP elitebook as a mobile rig and its absolutely a beast) using Reaper and Studio One. Im also updating our desktop line in the fall and Ill gladly skip the black coffee grinder for self build PC machines. the only thing Ill really miss are the kernel panics I had quite often with 10.8 :P

J
Hi

If you read the material, its more in the package. I have now used LPX for one day, and the user experience is a step up from 9.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
airon

After checking out the MacProVideo stuff, this is by far the greatest value I've ever seen in a DAW package.

Not as flexible as Reaper in some ways, but that's ok. Reaper can be rewired in if necessary and required, and the new tools and workflows more than compensate for the lack of flexiblity IMHO.

This is a neat composing tool. Damn, just throwing good drum parts together and messing around with them takes a minute or two. I like the instrument sounds I heard in the demonstrations. The GUI looks easy to operate. This is a nice choice in colour and contrast to make the instruments and controls stand out well enough, though especially the content the user creates, which is the most colourful thing.

A nice package, and I look forward to pilfering good ideas from it .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
This is a neat composing tool.
Seems to be. I paid (I think) $140 for Addictive Drums, so all of that for $200 is a steal, for composing. It doesn't actually have to be the best DAW ever created to have some value.

If I were on Mac I'd find it difficult not to bite. It still probably wouldn't be my choice for mixing and tracking, but still, that's a heck of a lot of tools for $200.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #28
producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
After checking out the MacProVideo stuff, this is by far the greatest value I've ever seen in a DAW package.

Not as flexible as Reaper in some ways, but that's ok. Reaper can be rewired in if necessary and required, and the new tools and workflows more than compensate for the lack of flexiblity IMHO.

This is a neat composing tool. Damn, just throwing good drum parts together and messing around with them takes a minute or two. I like the instrument sounds I heard in the demonstrations. The GUI looks easy to operate. This is a nice choice in colour and contrast to make the instruments and controls stand out well enough, though especially the content the user creates, which is the most colourful thing.

A nice package, and I look forward to pilfering good ideas from it .
Agree, as said, I used it for one day (Oh, that's a long time man). The drummer track may seem silly, but testing out it seems to work well. Just tested to replace Superior drummer on some tracks, and actually this sound even more musical as fills were put in automatically. It understands the Intro, verse, etc.
The pitch editing is also nice, but I am used to Melodyne so it will be hard to compete with that. However is right in the DAW.
The track stacking is awesome, you can layer tracks/instruments (similar to Ableton), or use as summing track, same as the nice feature as Reaper has, that I missed in LP9. It now loads almost as fast as Reaper. This new instruments sounds nice so far. There also a lot of new midi functions, but I do not have the full overview so far.
Still early days, will probably discover some issues going forward-
-

Last edited by producer; 07-18-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #29
vitalker

Logic's design is a peace of ... cake. It looks like a dirty little cat without ears. But some of included things are pretty good, though I use Windows only.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
funkystrings

Yeah, I agree, It's still early, some things are impressive for the price and It's going to be hard to resist if you're on a mac. I wonder if "Drummer" can compete with my Additive Drums, (with all it's realistic velosity hits). I've owned Logic pro 9 sense it's release and it's support for AU only and no mac VST has always irked me. It's the only DAW I know that does this. MOTU DP8 forces you to choice between the two so that will never do. VST support has allowed me to use some pretty awesome VST freeware. DAWs I know of that support both AU and VST simultaneously are Reaper, Studio One, Tracktion, Live, Bitwig (beta), maybe Arduor, (not sure). I was really hoping apple would incorporate VST because if you consider It's now 64 bit only, this reduces my options even more. Still tempting though. Wonder if it runs even more efficient now on macs?
funkystrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #31
mrluiso

Folder Stacks in Logic X = VCA enough for me.
mrluiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #32
superhawk

I'm seriously looking into switching to Mac and also giving a go with either Digital Performer 8 or Logic X.

I've been researching review after review and many folks seem to say that DP is stable, hardly crashes and while Logic is an incredible value with better, more plugs/goodies, it has crashed on many occasions.

Comments?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #33
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhawk View Post
Comments?
Also you can leave Reaper. Reaper and Logic together are very powerful machine for music. But if I buy Mac, I would use Reaper with Ableton Live. It's the best way to make a music, to my mind. Reaper works fine with all materials, but if it is live performance or super electronic music better to use Ableton Live. It's my opinion.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #34
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:
I'm seriously looking into switching to Mac and also giving a go with either Digital Performer 8 or Logic X.

I've been researching review after review and many folks seem to say that DP is stable, hardly crashes and while Logic is an incredible value with better, more plugs/goodies, it has crashed on many occasions.

Comments?

I use DP8 and Reaper and I'm a happy camper!

I've used DP since version 5.. way before I found REAPER and its been very stable for me. The times it crashed(rarely) is because of my 2006 old Mac. Dp is more of a CPU hog.

cheers
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #35
superhawk

I've been wondering though....

Why did MOTU decide to make a PC version of DP?

Market share?
Something going on with Apple's future?
Apple owns and pushes Logic?
MOTU feels the PC's are on the upswing?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #36
pattste

Quote:
I've been wondering though....

Why did MOTU decide to make a PC version of DP?

Market share?
Something going on with Apple's future?
Apple owns and pushes Logic?
MOTU feels the PC's are on the upswing?

Because Apple is giving away Logic Pro X at $199. Nobody can compete with that on the Mac.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Because Apple is giving away Logic Pro X at $199. Nobody can compete with that on the Mac.
No doubt. And I've read about all the loops, etc. to download. That is a BIG DEAL...especially to the younger musicians. (Of course, there are TONS of loops on the net for whatever a person is using.)

Very impressive. I've been watching a lot of videos on it and DANG! it sure seems cool.

I wonder what it's equal would be for the PC?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #38
pattste

Quote:
I don't think there's an equal but SONAR X2 has sort of the same philosophy of a full-featured DAW with tons and tons of bundled contents, plugins and instruments for a very competitive price, although in the case of SONAR it is third-party contents.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #39
producer

Default Logic X and crashes

Quote:
No doubt. And I've read about all the loops, etc. to download. That is a BIG DEAL...especially to the younger musicians. (Of course, there are TONS of loops on the net for whatever a person is using.)

Very impressive. I've been watching a lot of videos on it and DANG! it sure seems cool.

Hi, I have been using Logic X since it came out. No crashes here so far, seems stable but have an issue with Rewire on my mashine.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #40
superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
I don't think there's an equal but SONAR X2 has sort of the same philosophy of a full-featured DAW with tons and tons of bundled contents, plugins and instruments for a very competitive price, although in the case of SONAR it is third-party contents.
I used Sonar up to V.4 and I felt it was getting too bloated and slow and started using other software. Yes, it does come with a lot of extras.