Old 09-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #1
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default Virtual Zero point

Hi there,
I work with voice over and often after recording a sentence or a paragraph I have to stop the recording to select the interested part and check for its time lenght.

I would like to have the possibility to define a specific point in the timeline as a virtual zero point so that it can display the time elapsed from that point forward.

Any script, any idea?
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
Steviebone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
Hi there,
I work with voice over and often after recording a sentence or a paragraph I have to stop the recording to select the interested part and check for its time lenght.

I would like to have the possibility to define a specific point in the timeline as a virtual zero point so that it can display the time elapsed from that point forward.

Any script, any idea?
I'm not a scripter but this seems like a simple math problem as you should be able to simply subtract the starting offset from the time selection endpoint. There may already be a function for calculating the length of a time selection internally, seems like there would have to be.

I might suggest moving this to the scripting forum.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:21 AM   #3
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The vast, frozen wasteland of western Canadia.
Posts: 5,477
Default

Set the timebase to Time, make a time selection, look at the numbers in the transport bar.
__________________
Currently working away from home; don't expect timely responses from me.
Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition / GUI tutorial for Lua / GUI library for Lua scripts / Theory Helper / Radial Menu / Donate / ReaPack
Lokasenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
I'm not a scripter but this seems like a simple math problem as you should be able to simply subtract the starting offset from the time selection endpoint. There may already be a function for calculating the length of a time selection internally, seems like there would have to be.

I might suggest moving this to the scripting forum.
Yes, you're right. I'll move it to the scripting forum
Thank you!
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Set the timebase to Time, make a time selection, look at the numbers in the transport bar.
Hi,
Thanks for answering.

That's what I am doing now but I am forced to stop the recording, make a time selection and look at the selected time value.
I'd like to avoid these steps and have the ability to see the elapsed time during the recording. Like when you start from zero.
Whit this I am not forced to stop, if the time is ok I can continue to record the next sentences/paragraphs. In some cases we can have hundreds or even thousands of sentences which must respect their time.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
Philbo King
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 822
Default

You can open Project Settings (the top left button on the main toolbar) and click the button that says 'Set 0:00 to edit cursor'.

It works while recording.
Just put the cursor to the start time you want, click the toolbar button, click the Set 0:00 to edit cursor button, and it changes the project time to start there.

I wasn't able to find an action that does this, but it would surely be a handy thing to assign to a hot key...
__________________
Tangent Studio - Philbo King
www.soundclick.com/philboking - stream music
www.facebook.com/philboking - gigs and news
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,474
Default

Maybe this would help - BPM viewer/Time measuring" tool
(See this thread for the download link and instructions: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=165741)

spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 11,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
Maybe this would help - BPM viewer/Time measuring" tool
I don't think I have any use for this right now spk77, but it's a great script and I think I'll DL it for later on.

Good job.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #9
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
You can open Project Settings (the top left button on the main toolbar) and click the button that says 'Set 0:00 to edit cursor'.

It works while recording.
Just put the cursor to the start time you want, click the toolbar button, click the Set 0:00 to edit cursor button, and it changes the project time to start there.

I wasn't able to find an action that does this, but it would surely be a handy thing to assign to a hot key...
Great! Thank you very much.
Just have to find a way to assign a hot key now.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #10
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
Maybe this would help - BPM viewer/Time measuring" tool
(See this thread for the download link and instructions: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=165741)

This is great too!
Thank you guys

I'll try to check for the code and see if I can get how to keep the 'Set ZP' button and 'Related time position' only.

Last edited by Flavio; 09-13-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #11
Philbo King
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
Maybe this would help - BPM viewer/Time measuring" tool
(See this thread for the download link and instructions: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=165741)


Very nice! A great tool.
__________________
Tangent Studio - Philbo King
www.soundclick.com/philboking - stream music
www.facebook.com/philboking - gigs and news
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #12
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I don't think I have any use for this right now spk77, but it's a great script and I think I'll DL it for later on.

Good job.
Thanks Tod!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
This is great too!
Thank you guys

I'll try to check for the code and see if I can get how to keep the 'Set ZP' button and 'Related time position' only.
I think I'll update it and add a right-click menu with options to show/hide elements (you can, of course, modify it by yourself too )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Very nice! A great tool.
Thanks!
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
Thanks Tod!

I think I'll update it and add a right-click menu with options to show/hide elements (you can, of course, modify it by yourself too )


Thanks!
Great @spk77!
I'll wait for your update so I can keep the other elements for other purposes

Thanks in advance!
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
Great @spk77!
I'll wait for your update so I can keep the other elements for other purposes

Thanks in advance!
I'll try to post the update this weekend.
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #15
hopi
Human being with feelings
 
hopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Hear
Posts: 13,597
Default

this set of 3 scripts is hard to find but I think they do exactly what you want

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2034754

give 'em hot keys or put on a toolbar and away you go

IMHO really nice!

they do not show up in reapack yet
__________________
...should be fixed for the next build... http://tinyurl.com/cr7o7yl
https://soundcloud.com/hopikiva/angel-rain
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #16
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
this set of 3 scripts is hard to find but I think they do exactly what you want

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2034754

give 'em hot keys or put on a toolbar and away you go

IMHO really nice!

they do not show up in reapack yet
Thank you Hopi!

Will have a look immediately
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #17
hopi
Human being with feelings
 
hopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Hear
Posts: 13,597
Default

yer welcome do let us know if that does the trick...
__________________
...should be fixed for the next build... http://tinyurl.com/cr7o7yl
https://soundcloud.com/hopikiva/angel-rain
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #18
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,474
Default

This is taking a little longer than I thought. I removed the old and overly complex button code. This is what it looks at the moment:


  • buttons are removed
  • mouse wheel to adjust font size
  • added right click menu
I still have to fix some bugs before I can post the new version.
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:28 AM   #19
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
This is taking a little longer than I thought. I removed the old and overly complex button code. This is what it looks at the moment:


  • buttons are removed
  • mouse wheel to adjust font size
  • added right click menu
I still have to fix some bugs before I can post the new version.
perfect! Please let us know once you post the new version
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,474
Default

Updated:
https://stash.reaper.fm/24981/Time%2...ng%20tool2.lua



Last edited by spk77; 10-03-2018 at 11:00 AM.
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:41 AM   #21
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
Thank you spk77!
Not possible to set the cursor position as 'zero point' during the recording or play?
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #22
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
Thank you spk77!
Not possible to set the cursor position as 'zero point' during the recording or play?
Should be possible...I'll try that next.
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #23
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,474
Default

Updated:
https://stash.reaper.fm/24981/Time%2...ng%20tool2.lua
  • Store play cursor position (as zero point) when playing/recording
  • Space bar runs the action "Transport: Play/stop"
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:56 PM   #24
Flavio
Human being with feelings
 
Flavio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy - Monza
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
Updated:
https://stash.reaper.fm/24981/Time%2...ng%20tool2.lua
  • Store play cursor position (as zero point) when playing/recording
  • Space bar runs the action "Transport: Play/stop"
GREAT!
Thank you very much!
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.