Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Doug
Human being with feelings

Default Recording waves to External Hard Drive

Hello;

I purchased Reaper about a year ago. Have had very good luck recording 2 track board mixes for me to listen to after gigs to hear what I'm doing right or wrong in context to my live mixes.
I have started to fill up my laptop up so I want to record the waves and the project settings onto a external hard drive. I want to make sure I have the right paths setup.

1. Create a folder in my external hard drive. Called it "VFW Recordings" as an example.

2. In Reaper make a new project and call it "VFW Recordings" and have the save location to the external hard drives folder called the same.

3. In Reaper Preferences go to Default Recording Path and enter the External Hard Drives "VFW Recordings" folder as well.

What I want is to use the Laptop as the Operating System and the external hard drive as the storage media for the entire project.

Am I missing a major step? Is there anything I missed that will still be recorded onto the laptop taking up space?

I realize I could just move the past projects to the external hard drive but I want an easy way to set things up and to delete a project when I'm done.

I will setup different folders this way each night to keep my projects organized.

Second Question. Is there a way to delete an entire project, waves included, when you delete a project? When I delete a project the waves are still on my hard drive.

Thanks;
Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Mr. Data

You wrote that you want to set up different folders every night.
If you have your folder "VFW Recordings" you could start Reaper and set everything up as you need it for the recording. (You can then save it as a project template or as default project).
Each time you start Reaper, you load the template or - the easier way - you have your default project loaded on startup automatically, you save the project immediately after loading under a new name in the "VFW Recordings" folder and tick "Create subdirectory for project" in the save dialog. You could for instance give the project the name of the date you are recording on, e.g. 130301, if it is the 1st of March 2013.
If you now start your recordings, all wave files and the project file go into this folder (i.e. "VFW Recordings\130301"), because Reaper created a folder of the project name automatically.
Now, if you want to get rid of the complete project, just delete the folder "130301". The project and its wave files will be gone.

-Data
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
You wrote that you want to set up different folders every night.
If you have your folder "VFW Recordings" you could start Reaper and set everything up as you need it for the recording. (You can then save it as a project template or as default project).
Each time you start Reaper, you load the template or - the easier way - you have your default project loaded on startup automatically, you save the project immediately after loading under a new name in the "VFW Recordings" folder and tick "Create subdirectory for project" in the save dialog. You could for instance give the project the name of the date you are recording on, e.g. 130301, if it is the 1st of March 2013.
If you now start your recordings, all wave files and the project file go into this folder (i.e. "VFW Recordings\130301"), because Reaper created a folder of the project name automatically.
Now, if you want to get rid of the complete project, just delete the folder "130301". The project and its wave files will be gone.

-Data
Data;

Thanks for the information.
This will make it easy to keep locations and folders organized. Nice!
Thats what I'm going to do.

Thanks again;

Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote