Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Michael AD
Human being with feelings

Default Graphics issue with Sonokinetics NOIR

I am having a strange issue with Sonokinetics Noir. It has 2 Kontakt instruments - Sections and Solos.

The Sections instrument is causing a problem with Reaper when the main graphic screen is shown. The graphic uses the larger Kontakt screen, pushing much farther to the right.

Upon loading Sections, my CPU jumps to about 13% (which should not be a problem) but Reaper becomes very sluggish, especially the MIDI editor, which is virtually unusable.

If I click on the NOIR icon below Kontakt's wrench icon, the graphic goes away, the CPU drops to almost 0 and the MIDI editor works perfectly and everything is fine, but I cannot see the program to work with it! I have to constantly toggle the graphic on and off which is rather inconvenient.

If I close the Kontakt instance or if I load up another FX on the track and if I select that FX, it will replace the Noir instance and once again the Noir Sections works perfectly.

I am using Windows 10, 16GB RAM, quad-core i7 4790K (4.0GHz), and a 4GB Nvidia card. When the graphic is showing, the load on the card hovers between 0 to 1%, so the graphic card is not an issue. I generally use a high buffer of 2048 unless I am recording guitar so there should be absolutely no strain on the system.

I see that there was another user asking about a similar problem titled "EZdrummer/Reaper graphics latency" so I am wondering if there is not some issue with graphics interfering with something in Reaper.

BTW, I have brought the issue to Sonokinetics attention and they are stumped. I must give them TOP marks for how quickly and attentive they have been to assist me.

Does anyone have Noir and tell me if they are seeing any issues with the Sections instrument, particularly with MIDI playback/editing.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #2
Michael AD

In case anyone is having a similar problem, Ken at Sonokinetic just emailed me an updated NKR file for Noir and it has solved the problem.

He says they will be having a Noir update in the near future that will contain this new NKR file.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
In case anyone is having a similar problem, Ken at Sonokinetic just emailed me an updated NKR file for Noir and it has solved the problem.

He says they will be having a Noir update in the near future that will contain this new NKR file.
Can you post a link to the NKR file. I own Noir and anyone who owns this should have the update.

I've updated to the latest version of Noir and it seems to still have the graphics problem. I'm seeing similar issues with other kontakt libraries and various plugins. Do I need to reload the library in the left Kontakt pane?

The real problem is that as far as I know Reaper does let most aspect of the program run on the video card. This is why Video playback halts when hitting undo. The GUI halts when hitting save. Graphics, meters scripts, plugins or even just loading a plugin GUI in the FX chain will halt graphics in Reaper.

This is a major problem for every user as the graphics card is a serious resource that is not being utilized. Reaper should not halt the whole program because it's processing graphics on the CPU instead the the GPU.

Please make a remark on the following post so that we can gain more traction in addressing this problem.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219232
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic;2126241

Please make a remark on the following post so that we can gain more traction in addressing this problem.

[url
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219232[/url]
Actually, I only had an issue with Noir - no problems at all with any other programs. That other thread seems to be for folks with graphics issues with many programs. I don't think my specific situation with Noir can be helpful for those other problems.