Old 07-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Default Win 10 obsolescence through erosion?

Something that has just dawned on me. Having had compatibility issues in Win10 and having to roll back.

Windows 10 is meant to be the last ever version of Windows, soon it will just be Windows. Windows as a service; endless updates, especially Home versions. It will have to evolve dramatically over time. Compatibility issues inevitably rearing their ugly head.

That being the case at some point the software & devices you have purchased could become incompatible with your existing copy of Windows 10 at any time. As soon as they make a big enough update that keyboard, soft synth, Sampler, whatever could become unusable on our ever evolving software platform.

That being the case coupled to the home version forcing you to take any and every update.......... food for thought.

Maybe best to have a back up of Win7 (Pro version) on a spare unused SSD.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
ivansc

Remember what I said about cloning your current install to a fresh disk? Disks are cheap.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Remember what I said about cloning your current install to a fresh disk? Disks are cheap.
An upgrade to pro may be a good idea too.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Lannister

People using OSX have been living with this for years.

Windows isn't about to drop compatibility over-night. That's up to the hardware vendors, and whether they think they can extract money from consumers because "X doesn't work with Y" all of a sudden.
Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
People using OSX have been living with this for years.

Windows isn't about to drop compatibility over-night. That's up to the hardware vendors, and whether they think they can extract money from consumers because "X doesn't work with Y" all of a sudden.
Agreed, that's the worst thing about it. If a company goes bust, or gets bought out and doesn't update an otherwise good product, or they simply cannot be bothered, bean counters dictate the direction of their resources.

Imagine for instance if our VSTs hadn't been compatible with Win10?
Will the likes of Native Instruments work hard on creating patches or new versions of perfectly decent software? or will they just say "oh well we made that years ago for Windows XP/7/8 and just patch their newest titles?

Imagine you are working on your virtual instrument magnum opus in your DAW, months of work down the line and an update comes in and makes half your existing software stop working correctly.

I guess this is worst case scenario stuff.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
babag

wait a minute. are you telling me my zip drive could become unusable?!?!?!?
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
That being the case at some point the software & devices you have purchased could become incompatible with your existing copy of Windows 10 at any time. As soon as they make a big enough update that keyboard, soft synth, Sampler, whatever could become unusable on our ever evolving software platform.
Any company writing drivers and selling you said devices can and should be far aware of such things long before changes go public. If some update inadvertantly breaks their driver they should fix it, because they can assuming it agrees with their own end-of-life policy.... but the question is do those vendors want to when all their cash it tied up in the current device they are working on.

That being said, no matter what compelling story or example we spin, legacy = risk unless everything is kept legacy. That risk isn't a vendor or OS problem. It's a techncal issue where there is simply no way for legacy code to be aware of code that hs been written after the legacy code was compiled. The only other choice was to have stopped all computer progress 15 years ago, never moving forward because that's the only way to escape this risk. That also means every hardware technological advancement since then would be moot and we'd all still be on 1gHz, 32 bit machines with 2GB memory in the name of non-obsoletion.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Any company writing drivers and selling you said devices can and should be far aware of such things long before changes go public. If some update inadvertantly breaks their driver they should fix it, because they can assuming it agrees with their own end-of-life policy.... but the question is do those vendors want to when all their cash it tied up in the current device they are working on.

That being said, no matter what compelling story or example we spin, legacy = risk unless everything is kept legacy. That risk isn't a vendor or OS problem. It's a techncal issue where there is simply no way for legacy code to be aware of code that hs been written after the legacy code was compiled. The only other choice was to have stopped all computer progress 15 years ago, never moving forward because that's the only way to escape this risk. That also means every hardware technological advancement since then would be moot and we'd all still be on 1gHz, 32 bit machines with 2GB memory in the name of non-obsoletion.

I'm no luddite. Since my childhood I've gone from Z80 at 3.25 MHz to todays multi core power houses. Well aware of the benefits.

There is a major difference today with operating systems and software (locked to security keys) working within ever evolving platforms.

Old software & hardware didn't have that problem. Okay in most cases you wouldn't want to go back to those machines other than nostalgia but at least you can if you want to. However we have reached a point with the sophistication in music production software where many people are buying large sample libraries that I am sure they expect to be able to use potentially for a very long time, perhaps decades, such as:

https://vsl.co.at/en
http://8dio.com/
Old 07-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
I'm no luddite. Since my childhood I've gone from Z80 at 3.25 MHz to todays multi core power houses. Well aware of the benefits.

There is a major difference today with operating systems and software (locked to security keys) working within ever evolving platforms.

Old software & hardware didn't have that problem. Okay in most cases you wouldn't want to go back to those machines other than nostalgia but at least you can if you want to. However we have reached a point with the sophistication in music production software where many people are buying large sample libraries that I am sure they expect to be able to use potentially for a very long time, perhaps decades, such as:

https://vsl.co.at/en
http://8dio.com/
None of ^that changes or discounts a thing I said nor is it what you previously stated at least what I'm replying about. �� nor am I debating you but rather mentioning that the change in how versioning is labeled changes nothing here.

It's fine if you make it sound like more but it isn't when talking newer code with legacy code. I don't really get the Luddite remark lol but drama rains down for every release so we'll all just have to suffer through until it blows over. ��

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-31-2015 at 05:49 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
None of ^that changes or discounts a thing I said. �� nor am I debating you but rather mentioning that the change in how versioning is labeled changes nothing here. It's fine if you make it sound like more but it isn't when talking newer code with legacy code. I don't really get the Luddite remark lol.
Okay, but I'm not discounting what you said anyway.
Did you write this on a phone?, that paragraph is hard to understand.

luddites symbolize a hatred of progress. You mentioned being stuck with 1ghz machines. Of course even without the internet processor development would have continued as before. Computers would have continued to get faster and better. For sure the increased computer sales accelerated development and mass adoption of computers made them more affordable than ever due to economies of scale.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Okay, but I'm not discounting what you said anyway.
Did you write this on a phone?, that paragraph is hard to understand.

luddites symbolize a hatred of progress. You mentioned being stuck with 1ghz machines. Of course even without the internet processor development would have continued as before. Computers would have continued to get faster and better. For sure the increased computer sales accelerated development and mass adoption of computers made them more affordable than ever due to economies of scale.
Yes, phone... in a restaurant before flying back home. Maybe better if I just say I don't think there is that much more to worry about just because they changed to a more agile update format. That and I get frustrated with driver devs not updating their own drivers then blaming the OS, either support it or be very clear they don't care about you.