Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-16-2019, 04:35 AM   #1
RobjonWood
Human being with feelings

Default Can not hear midi playback(I can record in midi)

Hi,I am new here.I hope I am posting in the right place. I successfully recorded in midi via my guitar and Focusrite 2i4 and using midi guitar 2.I play it back and nothing. Record monitoring is on.I've watched a few videos. I really do not understand what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help.
RobjonWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
martifingers

Hi. I've just tried this with a trial version of MIDI guitar. If I load a pre-recorded MIDI track and add MIDI guitar as a VST (as an FX) it plays fine and I can alter the sound via the "Instrument Output" panel in the Avdvanced Tab.

So just check:
1. You have actually recorded MIDI (ie you can see the notes).
2. Have you still got MIDI guitar active on that track? Or even try a different VSTi entirely. Both should work.
3. Make sure you haven't muted that track or perhaps soloed another!
4. Record monitoring should of course be irrelevant when playing back but I am presuming you could hear the sound generated by MIDI Guitar when recording (I mean other than the guitar itself!)

Sorry if these are too basic but I am guilty of all of these at one stage or another and it pays to eliminate the obvious first.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 AM   #3
RobjonWood

Thanks for your reply and I apologize for getting back to you so late. "Yes" to all of your questions- By the way sorry, I realized if I want help I need to be more specific in my goal and my explanation.My goal is to record my electric guitar as midi and be able to add/change the sound via Vsts like guitar amps etc. I followed some video and did all the steps but I only was able to record in midi without being able to hear anything on playback. Signal Path: So I recorded using my electric guitar through Focusrite then through midi guitar 2(which seems needed in order to record output in midi) and then tried to add an guitar amp vst. It seems the only way to hear the midi I recorded is to add some instrument in midi guitar 2 which means I must select some synth which means I get some sound I dont want.In short I want to record the vst amp sound while recording my guitar signal output into midi.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:04 AM   #4
DarkStar

That's OK.

Now, what you need is a VSTi that will use your recorded MIDI to create a guitar sound. After that you can apply amp fx etc.

If you send the MIDI directly to the guitar amp VST you will not hear anything as that amp VST does not have any audio to work on.

Orange Tree does some great guitar libraries - some (many?) use the free Kontakt Player (from Native Instruments).
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products

And there is a Group Buy on right now, but there is under 4 hours left to join, with 60% off:
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/group-buy

Quote:
The group buy signup period lasts until July 22nd (at 8 AM PDT), after which you have until August 12th (at 8 AM PDT) to complete your purchase.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobjonWood View Post
Thanks for your reply and I apologize for getting back to you so late. "Yes" to all of your questions- By the way sorry, I realized if I want help I need to be more specific in my goal and my explanation.My goal is to record my electric guitar as midi and be able to add/change the sound via Vsts like guitar amps etc. I followed some video and did all the steps but I only was able to record in midi without being able to hear anything on playback. Signal Path: So I recorded using my electric guitar through Focusrite then through midi guitar 2(which seems needed in order to record output in midi) and then tried to add an guitar amp vst. It seems the only way to hear the midi I recorded is to add some instrument in midi guitar 2 which means I must select some synth which means I get some sound I dont want.In short I want to record the vst amp sound while recording my guitar signal output into midi.
You don't need MIDI to use amp sim VSTs. If you just want to add FX to a guitar sound there is no need to convert the audio to MIDI.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
RobjonWood

DarkStar Thanks, I checked out the Orange Tree stuff and it sounds good. I hope it really works: give my midi recordings(performed on guitar) realistic guitar sound. I did some quick research and didnt see anybody using it for this purpose.
I need(would like to) to record in midi so that I have all the fast editing advantages. For example,If after submitting a recording somebody asks me to change the recording's tempo or transpose it etc., I can do it very quickly.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:13 AM   #7
DarkStar

I am sure that many guitar players here record the MIDI then use Orange Tree (other guitar sounds libraries are available) and an Amp VST to get the sound they want.

If you are looking for a "guitar and bass tone studio" check out IK Multimedia's AmpliTube. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube4/. There's a free edition (AmpliTube Custom Shop) with a few gear modules included and others that you can try. And the paid-for edition is on sale at the moment.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:08 AM   #8
RobjonWood

Default Can not hear midi playback(I can record in midi)

hi guys,I an new here and I hope I am asking for help in the right place. I have watched a few videos on how I can record my guitar and get the output to be midi.
I see the midi but I can not hear it on playback. This is really frustrating. I do not know what I am doing wrong.I am reading the reaper manual and googling for the answer.
Thanks for any help.

Rob
Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #9
DarkStar

You have recorded the MIDI data form your guitar in Reaper. Now you will need some sort of synth (software plug-in or hardware) to receive the MIDI and create the audio.

Just to try it out, add the plug-in ReaSynth to the track, turn down the track volume (or the volume in the ReaSynth GUI) and click the Play button. You should hear something.

Check out the Reaper User Guide for the details;
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

Let us know and we can go from there.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:39 AM   #10
RobjonWood

Thanks for your reply and I apologize for getting back to you so late. I did try the ReaSynth and yes I hear something. By the way sorry, I realized if I want help I need to be more clear in my goal and my explanation.My goal is to record my electric guitar as midi and be able to add Vsts to the sound like guitar amps etc. I followed some video and did all the steps but I only was able to record in midi without being able to hear anything on playback. Signal Path: So I recorded using my electric guitar through Focusrite then through midi guitar 2(which seems needed in order to record output in midi) and then tried to add an guitar amp vst. It seems the only way to hear the midi I recorded is to add some instrument in midi guitar 2 which means I must select some synth which means I get some sound I dont want.In short I want to record the vst amp sound while recording my guitar signal output into midi.