COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
amc
Human being with feelings

Default Basic doubts for collaborative rehearsal

I am trying to set up a collaborative rehearsal scenario with my band colleagues. Basically two remote groups: bass & drums in one city and 2 guitars, kbd and voice in another city.

We use ABleton Live in one side and Cubase in another

Can we use Ninjam for that purpose on a DSL internet connection? Is Ninjam free or does it have a trial period and a fee afterwards?

I suppose the basis is the output of the soundcard , so it has be already mixed. I suppose that the other side will enter through the same soundcard.

thanks
amc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
pljones

NINJAM is a protocol. There's a client and a server. There are free versions of both. There's also a NINJAM client in Reaper - Reaper is payware.

There are public servers already set up, if you don't mind sharing your space.

But before you go ahead, is NINJAM the experience you're after? Have you understood what it is? You've understood that you have to wait to hear what someone played and that you're pretty much either locked to the click or completely freeform?

Check this thread for related comments:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50580

Then join in some of the public jams to get a handle on what's happening (see Andy's sticky at the top of the forum on how to get set up).
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
amc

Thanks,
I see what you mean. I will try one of these days but now I suspect why the word "jam" is involved.

Basically means that latency from remote players is tenths or seconds or more, but not thousandths of seconds, so strict real time (< 28 ms) is not feasible
amc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
pljones

It's nothing to do with "strict real-time", really. That's not what it's about. Rather than clash with network latency, it works with it. Your buddy 2000 miles away will hear you playing in time with the click track, they can play in time with the click track and you'll here them back, playing in time with the click track. But they'll have heard you one or more "intervals" after you played (measured in seconds, not milliseconds, dependent on the number of beats in the interval). And you'll hear them back again after one or more intervals pass.

I've not used it but Reaper's ReaNINJAM supports something called "Session Mode", which may be closer to what you're after: still not playing together in real-time, but an easier way to exchange ideas and build on them in a structured manner... at least, that's how I understand it.
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote