Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Tony Ostinato
Human being with feelings

Default Stolen moments, Oliver Nelson, transcribed by me and harmony keymapped on my reaper l

https://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato/...lowx5livesetup

Stolen moments, Oliver Nelson, transcribed by me and harmony keymapped on my reaper live setup using the midichords plugin

played in one take, no overdubs.

wivi mezzo soprano sax lead
kontakt samplemodeling flugel, tenor sax, trombone, bari sax
wivi brass section and sax section

here is an old walk thru of my live setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ar_3nGx2w&t=3s
Tony Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
mschnell

Great ! Beautiful horn section work !

"Stolen Moments" is one of my favorite songs, right now. I recently did a "low budget" recording of same with a friend's Jazz Quartet and this triggered a long and very interesting discussion here in this forum.

Moreover I hope I can do and post a recording with my own live band, soon. We do the piece in a very different - rather bluesy - way, with female voice (I did new - rather dramatic - lyrics, I hope fitting a lot better to the musical feeling than those "easy" ones sung by Mark Murphey). I play Piano chords, and melody and solo parts with SampleModeling Flugelhorn via TEC BBCv2. We also have alto sax and blues guitar solos.

Thanks a lot for sharing this !

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-05-2018 at 06:46 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #3
mschnell

I especially like your introduction horn section voicing.

We tried to do this using voice, (real) alto sax and (virtual) flugelhorn, but it never sounded "right", as the semitone-dissonances never decently blend.
So we just do it with piano chords plus a rather busy (E-) bass. This does sound right to me and emphasises the different overall character I'd like to introduce.
Here a quick test-recording -> http://schnellphoto.de/stolen_moments_test.mp3
But in fact as an ending, I'd like to have such a section/choir. Any suggestion on how to do the voicing with these sounds ?
The vocal part to be something like this -> http://schnellphoto.de/stolen_moments_test_2.mp3

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-05-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Tony Ostinato

thanks!
i am planning to do a video on this song in detail, i want to do a few videos on the new setup and also midichords mapping. this stolen moments clip is from a test video i did but i am not shaved and the lighting is bad so i am using that for the bigfoot channels

i was gonna do videos sooner but i was waiting to maybe get a green screen for background but then i was like why fix the background when i look so bad in the foreground so i figured id get some hair implants and then i thought thats stupid when my face looks so bad so i started pricing plastic surgery but the places i went to all said i was too far gone and my only choice would be facial transplant surgery and there was just no way i was gonna do all that in time for the next video

so look for all that down the line a ways, in the meantime people will have to deal with it
Tony Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
Not_Here

B E A U T I F U L ! !

That sounded awesome blasting across my desk. Oh man!!

::::standing ovation::::
Old 08-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
mschnell

Saw the "preset"s video you just posted

Great demo ! (But seemingly not much success regarding the hair implants.)

-Michael