Old 05-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Revolation
Human being with feelings

Default Total sh*t show

Background, skippable
Today I woke up to try and use reaper, everything was set to default.... Weird. Then I go to open my project file (none were remembered in my recent projects list) and it crashes.... wtf. I find that a plug in is causing this issue, delete it, then it loads.....

Important bit
For some reason x64 bridge is broken. In my project I was using three different x86 vsts and now reaper refuses to even find them. I even tried updating to the newest version and changing it to all three options under compatibility. How do I fix this??????? And don't say use x86 reaper, because I won't. I need the higher ram capability.
Revolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
ivansc

Do a fresh PORTABLE install which will leave your original reaper install intact & see if this makes any difference when you enter the VST paths & re-scan.
If it does, try going back to your original install and this time do a CLEAR/RE-SCAN instead of just a re-scan.

Explanation is that if you do have plugins that crash on a re-scan, Reaper marks them as unsafe and won't include them in subsequent re-scans but WILL pick all of them up again if you clear and re-scan.

Very unlikely that your 32 to 64 bridging is ferkdup.

And as for everything being reset to default, are you sure that you haven't updated Reaper recently and accidentally downloaded and installed the 32 bit version instead of the 64bit version? Classic cause of just these symptoms. Did it myself recently.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Revolation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Do a fresh PORTABLE install which will leave your original reaper install intact & see if this makes any difference when you enter the VST paths & re-scan.
If it does, try going back to your original install and this time do a CLEAR/RE-SCAN instead of just a re-scan.

Explanation is that if you do have plugins that crash on a re-scan, Reaper marks them as unsafe and won't include them in subsequent re-scans but WILL pick all of them up again if you clear and re-scan.

Very unlikely that your 32 to 64 bridging is ferkdup.

And as for everything being reset to default, are you sure that you haven't updated Reaper recently and accidentally downloaded and installed the 32 bit version instead of the 64bit version? Classic cause of just these symptoms. Did it myself recently.
Tried the portable install and directed it to a folder I put just 2 of the 3 x86 plugins in and even the fresh install refuses to find them. I already used them in a mix that failed to open them (the mix opened but I got the may not sound right and the settings are saved message) so I know they are supposed to work, but it refuses to find them even on a fresh install.
Also I tried the clear cashe rescan on both installations and it fixed nothing (I did this on the original even before your comment). I'm not a vst noob, I am indeed pointing reaper to the correct directory with the .dll's in it. They weren't the one's crashing reaper anyway, it was bias fx and that makes me sad because I can no longer download it because I got it for free through focusrite and that offer is expired.

I am absolutely sure I didn't update reaper for the very reason I didn't want to have to redo all my personal settings and templates that I have no lost anyway. I updated after this issue though hoping that 5.8 would fix this. I also always have used the x64 version because I have been a geek for a long time and I knew that the x86 version would be capped at 4gb, I have more than that and I know how ram heavy recording is.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolation View Post
Tried the portable install and directed it to a folder I put just 2 of the 3 x86 plugins in and even the fresh install refuses to find them.
Can you tell us which VSTs? Maybe we can test but it seems a little odd that bridging doesn't invoke on a portable install (since invoking due to bit mismatch is automatic by default IIRC). The first thing that comes to mind is something like AV blocking the call from reaper to the bridge executable but that's a total pontification.

FWIW, I bailed on formal installs years ago and use a portable; this allows me to export the config and have more than one "install" of portables including a vanilla version for testing. Also, keep a recent copy of the config exported (options > preferences > general), saved my bacon on more than one occasion. You can export the config with a normal install but my point is the portable(s) are just damn handy in situations like this because you can always keep a backup working copy of the config AND the install.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
EvilDragon

Hm, I updated Reaper about a bajillion times by now and never lost ANY settings during an update...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hm, I updated Reaper about a bajillion times by now and never lost ANY settings during an update...
It's possible something like the/some INIs went missing or corrupt (not via update) and Reaper just created a new one on next launch. If that occurred *and* bridging isn't working my spidey senses smell files going missing in general.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
Revolation

Default RUG

There is now a link to this on the reaper user group on facebook. If someone there gives me a solution I will post it here and I should fix the title to more accurately reflect my issue.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Revolation

Default Replies

"which vsts"
Any x86, but specifically the ones that won't load for this mix are mcompressor, epicverb, and a distressor plugin that I forget what is called atm

"av blocking it"
Possible, I will disable AV and reload post this reply

"the rest of karbomusic's first response"
I will definitely be doing that in the future now, thanks for the advice there

"Hm, I updated Reaper about a bajillion times by now and never lost ANY settings during an update..."
I didn't update when I lost the settings, as I have said. I just didn't update for fear it would do that. (has happened to me with other programs before)

"It's possible something like the/some INIs went missing or corrupt (not via update) and Reaper just created a new one on next launch. If that occurred *and* bridging isn't working my spidey senses smell files going missing in general."
No other program has been effected, but I am paying attention just in case as this could either be random corruption, or an early sign of harddrive failure. Already backed my stuff up just in case this is the case.

Also can't change the title of the thread... oh well
Old 05-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
karbomusic

Would be nice to know what the VSTs are. I don't really frequent that group, I'm sure its plenty credible, just saying there is likely more traffic and quick answers here - provided we can get the right info.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Revolation

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Would be nice to know what the VSTs are.
I said two that I know for a fact aren't loading are epic verb and mcompressor, but it is all x86 plugins I have, unless the default reaper plugins for the x64 version are x86, they load up just fine.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #11
Revolation

Disabled AV it's avast and I disabled all of the protections until restart.
opened reaper
settings>vst>clear cache/rescan>Still not detecting x86 plugins on either the portable or regular install.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
Revolation

Picture for reference

Last edited by Ollie; 05-16-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: deleted spammy link
Old 05-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Revolation

So the x86 verison when installed portable does indeed find these plugins, but the song won't play correctly capped at 4gb. I could render it as is, but I was about 1/4 of the way through mastering. Had just put my plugins in place and had yet to set the settings.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Revolation

SOLVED! it's a weird fix, but makinng a new profile in windows does allow the x64 version to once again find these plug in. This solution was offered by a user on the RUG on facebook.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
I said two that I know for a fact aren't loading are epic verb and mcompressor, but it is all x86 plugins I have, unless the default reaper plugins for the x64 version are x86, they load up just fine.
Got it, missed that earlier. I have both of those which bridge fine (normally).

Quote:
SOLVED! it's a weird fix, but makinng a new profile in windows does allow the x64 version to once again find these plug in. This solution was offered by a user on the RUG on facebook.
I'd call it a workaround instead of a fix but you can at least work so that's most important. I'm assuming you aren't running reaper explicitly as admin? (sanity check). That can cause inexplicable blocking depending on where the install is and where the VSTs live. I'm not seeing evidence per se, again just a sanity check because not knowing true root cause always bugs me.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Would be nice to know what the VSTs are. I don't really frequent that group, I'm sure its plenty credible, just saying there is likely more traffic and quick answers here - provided we can get the right info.
Thats what I'm saying reading this "shit show"....

Has the OP even said what these awesome-sounding products are?
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote