Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #441
Eyes
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Oh come on. Sonar has great way of dealing with MIDI. It being unstable and moody is a whole different thing. Sonar's MIDI editor is really cool.
Used to be. :'(

The only thing that hasn't been rewritten in X1 is the way it handles multiple tracks (awesome). Everything else changed.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #442
zep

Default midi envelopes

just wondering if anything happened in regards to the midi pitch envelope, or general envelope editing of midi?!?
zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #443
Epitaph64

I agree 100%. I've shown Reaper to friends and none of them can get past the MIDI editor. Personally, I find all the other features of Reaper compelling enough to overlook this shortcoming but I would surely welcome an improvement to such a crucial area.
Epitaph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #444
Scoox

MIDI recording in Reaper is usable but, like the OP said, it's hard to work with. Cubase has a much better MIDI editor. Tools vs modifier keys is another story, I personally don't like tools myself so in this respect my vote goes to Reaper.

There is something wrong about it.
  • MIDI quantize: I find it unintuitive. I think it's mostly a labelling issue or my lack of understanding, because quantize in Reaper never seems to do what the GUI labels suggest it would do. In Cubase, Reason, Studio One, etc I was able to use the quantize feature without problems.
  • When recording takes, recorded notes are not previewed in the media item, but in other recording modes such as overdub notes appear in the media item as they are being recorded.
  • I cannot double-click a media item to open it in the MIDI editor while recording (but you can open it before you start recording to circumvent this limitation, therefore the software is already perfectly capable of this).
  • When recording with loop engaged, the note that's currently being played is displayed as a rectangle that stretches from the point at which the MIDI Note On was sent all the way to the end of the current selection. Once the MIDI Note Off is received the correct note length is reflected on the GUI). Not sure this is clear... In other DAWs the note rectangle is "painted" in real time until the Note Off message is received. Maybe this is more resource hungry, but I think it's better to not show the note at all than to show the wrong note length.
  • No record button in the MIDI editor seems an impractical omission.
  • MIDI input quantize should be a global setting like in Cubase, with a visual ON/OFF switch. At the moment it works per-track and it's buried in the track recording settings dialogue, so there is no visual indication of what's going on.
  • As I pointed out in another thread, loop recording modes are for the most part unusable. This is not an emotional assessment when compared with Cubase which has the finest implementation.
  • This is very subjective but when I record MIDI in Reaper I often feel that what gets recorded does not always sound exactly like what I had just played (with input quantize turned OFF of course).
  • Some commands should be accessible with one click rather than diving into a myriad of menus and sub-menus.

Last edited by Scoox; 09-01-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #445
Noisia

I profoundly apologise for joining the "bash the midi editor" bandwagon but i really miss the "cubase-like" shape tools. They do make note editing so much faster and precise that it has been of the main reasons why i didn't uninstall Cubase yet.
Noisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #446
Mr. Data

...And don't forget this!!!

-Data

|
|
V
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #447
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rd View Post
Please!!! For the love of sound and music!!!

DO NOT COPY ANYTHING FROM SONAR !!!

I just started using Reaper - and I like that my house no longer catches on fire!

I basically begged Schwa to add what ended up becoming the MIDI Filter. It wasn't really my own idea. It's very similar to what Sonar does (or did, assuming X1 removed it.)

I love this sort of filtering system.

One thing Sonar still does better is lock/unlock MIDI parts with an additional box in its filter (whatever they call it.) This prevents the user from unintentionally moving or editing a MIDI Item when working on another one when both are visible inside a single MIDI Editor.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #448
zep

Default time selection

another thing i just recently noticed is that, if one opens a midi item in the editor and double clicks on the scrolling bar it automatically adjust the zooming to fit all content of the midi item to the display which is a very neat feature. unfortunately tough this behaviour does not adapt to time-frame selection, e.g. just zooming into/showing only the midi notes in the time-frame selection.. i would love if this could be implemented as well as the envelope feature for midi pitch control.
zep is offline   Reply With Quote