Old 07-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
A.j.
Human being with feelings

Default New to Reaper: Editing Tutorials?

Greetings,

This is my first post. I'm a Reaper virgin. Please be gentle.

I've been exploring the latest Reaper build for the last three days, and I'd love to know if there are any tutorials for audio editing? I come from a heavy Nuendo background (six years!), so it's a little hard to get the hang of the tool-less environment, as well as the way the takes function in lanes.

Anyway, I've already checked out Pipelineaudio's flash tutorials, and I'm working through the big manual PDF. But I'm looking for a more in-depth lesson on audio editing - how to use the lanes, comp vocals, dupe verses, that sort of thing.

Best,
Aj
drawingroom.org
A.j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.j. View Post
Greetings,

This is my first post. I'm a Reaper virgin. Please be gentle.

I've been exploring the latest Reaper build for the last three days, and I'd love to know if there are any tutorials for audio editing? I come from a heavy Nuendo background (six years!), so it's a little hard to get the hang of the tool-less environment, as well as the way the takes function in lanes.

Anyway, I've already checked out Pipelineaudio's flash tutorials, and I'm working through the big manual PDF. But I'm looking for a more in-depth lesson on audio editing - how to use the lanes, comp vocals, dupe verses, that sort of thing.

Best,
Aj
drawingroom.org

Lanes (takes in lanes) is implemented quite similar to Cubendo, except that: 1. splits affect all takes (if you have 4 takes a split gets them all) 2. resizing a split segment re-sizes all takes. 3. Fade ins/out also affect all takes. 4. moving a segment moves all takes.5. if you delete on of the take segments, then the remaining grow in size (top to bottom) to fill the space.
-coming from Cubendo, this was a little weird at first but it works well and is quite simple once you get the hang of it.

click on any segment of the take to make that segment active - audible. selecting a take or a split out segment of one, and pressing [f2] will allow you to adjust it's properties (rename and such).

You can select items across multiple tracks and implode them to a single track as takes. (I find that if the items are not the same size, then gluing them to the same size helps out a lot here).

You can explode the takes to individual tracks to access the full compliment of editing features on a take by take basis (fade in/out affect only the segment you are working on).

You can apply the FX in any track's chain as a new take.

editing:
I would recommend spending a little time in the prefs adjusting the zooming controls of the mouse wheel to your liking - modifiers for zoom in and out, scrolling up and down; how the arrange window behaves (i zoom with the cursor and selected track centered). This will assist in quickly homing in on the areas you want to edit, providing better smart cursor behaviour.

quick things to note (defaults I believe)
the cursor will automatically select the appropriate editing behaviour depending on placement over the item:
top right/left = fades
below that = re-size
top center = item volume
bottom left/right +[alt] = time stretch
somewhere in the middle of an item +[alt] = slide the contents left or right.
[ctrl]+drag copies the item
(there's probably more that I have forgot to mention.

Also Learn the key stroke building system: Prefs/General/Keyboard. this will let you create many editing features tailored to your liking
for example:
splitting beneath the mouse (with or without snap)
muting the item below the cursor.
and just about anything you can think of.

hope this helps a little.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"

Last edited by Tallisman; 07-26-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
A.j.

Tallisman,

Much gratitude for your generous & detailed reply (someone should make it a sticky). Clears up a lot of things. Some questions:

Quote:
Lanes (takes in lanes) is implemented quite similar to Cubendo, except <snip>... Coming from Cubendo, this was a little weird at first but it works well and is quite simple once you get the hang of it.
Yes, it's totally weird to me how snipping goes *across* all takes. I'm having trouble getting used to it. Also, how the various audio segments "jump around" onscreen when you add, move or delete something. I'm hoping this will become second nature after awhile.

I'm also finding it weird how when you click a take, it immediately becomes the one that's selected for playback (and the other takes get muted). What if I don't want that? What if instead, I just wanted to select a currently muted take and move it somewhere else? Doing something like that shouldn't change my currently active audio segments. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Quote:
You can select items across multiple tracks and implode them to a single track as takes. (I find that if the items are not the same size, then gluing them to the same size helps out a lot here).
I'm sorry, but even after re-reading this paragraph, I can't understand what you're describing. Are you talking about selecting items across different tracks, like, say, the kick and also the snare - and then imploding them to a new, different single track? How and why would you do this?

Thanks again... I really want to like Reaper. The philosophy behind it seems to fit very well with my own approach to work, community and art/music. It's just going to take some time, I guess.

Best,
Aj

P.S. Did you develop the Reabendo skin? I'm using it right now; helps a lot.
A.j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Tallisman

Quote:
Tallisman,

Much gratitude for your generous & detailed reply (someone should make it a sticky). Clears up a lot of things. Some questions:

Yes, it's totally weird to me how snipping goes *across* all takes. I'm having trouble getting used to it. Also, how the various audio segments "jump around" onscreen when you add, move or delete something. I'm hoping this will become second nature after awhile.
I hate the way the jump around too... so instead i leav'em put, and [f2] rename and prefix DNU.

Quote:
I'm also finding it weird how when you click a take, it immediately becomes the one that's selected for playback (and the other takes get muted). What if I don't want that? What if instead, I just wanted to select a currently muted take and move it somewhere else? Doing something like that shouldn't change my currently active audio segments. Maybe I'm missing something here.
hmmmm... I am not at my daw right now, and i can't remember the workaround I use, but as for moving a muted take for playback elsewhere: First, once I have decided that a take segment is a keeper I prefix use.x. This reminds me that this chunk will be used in 'x' version of the comp. Then I click on the segment I want to use elsewhere and [ctrl]+L-Click drag a copy of it to the new location, prefix use.x+1 and reactivate the the other.

It would probably be faster and easier to select you track with multiple takes and explode to tracks, but the I find that I am muting and unmuting far too much. It is still my hope that the lanes/take faculty will receive a tad more love from Justin & Co.
Ideally one should be able to split, move and edit all elements of each take/take-segment individually (as though they were on separate tracks; and, if you delete a chunk the other should keep their height size and position intact.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but even after re-reading this paragraph, I can't understand what you're describing. Are you talking about selecting items across different tracks, like, say, the kick and also the snare - and then imploding them to a new, different single track? How and why would you do this?
yup. sometimes for a quick and dirty variation of, say a chorus vocal I will duplicate 3 or 4 or... chorus vocal tracks. If they are not the same length, then I will add and glue empty items at the start and end so that they are. then i will implode this to on lanes track. Split the new takes into phrases, duplicate that track and make new comps by mixing and matching.

Quote:
Thanks again... I really want to like Reaper. The philosophy behind it seems to fit very well with my own approach to work, community and art/music. It's just going to take some time, I guess.

Best,
Aj

P.S. Did you develop the Reabendo skin? I'm using it right now; helps a lot.
It took me some time too. if you search the forum you will find plenty of my moaning. Some guy at steiny designed the reaBendo skin, I just ported it over.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote