Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-13-2020, 02:45 AM   #1
EmperiuM
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Macbook Air 2020 i5 anyone?

Hello there, My 2010 Macbook pro is dying and I new to purchase a new laptop. I'm using reaper and some plugins (amplitubes, Bias) to track guitars at home. My question is: did anyone try the new macbook air i5 from 2020 with reaper? I cant find any video on youtube.
Thank you

Last edited by EmperiuM; 05-13-2020 at 07:15 AM.
EmperiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:23 AM   #2
iexr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperiuM View Post
Hello there, My 2010 Macbook pro is dying and I new to purchase a new laptop. I'm using reaper and some plugins (amplitubes, Bias) to track guitars at home. My question is: did anyone try the new macbook air i5 from 2020 with reaper? I cant find any video on youtube.
Thank you
yea, i own recent macbook air and mac mini. MacMini is better, retina air's are not as performant as pro/mini macs.
iexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:20 AM   #3
Vasily

I got one yesterday.

I'm struggling to get working some of my plugins on Catalina, but that's a separate topic.

It seems to work yet, internal interface goes up to 24/96. However, I didn't do a really big testing session yet.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
Vasily

okay, did a record session with my new one. it does the job, but gets hot and noisy (unfortunately, I can hear it on the background in my tracks; I recorded with plenty of gain on condenser and laptop was in the same room).
Old 06-25-2020, 12:34 AM   #5
Smokehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
okay, did a record session with my new one. it does the job, but gets hot and noisy (unfortunately, I can hear it on the background in my tracks; I recorded with plenty of gain on condenser and laptop was in the same room).
Just a single track recording? Did you enable DAW montoring and FX? Which I/O settings did you use? For plain recording no modern computer should be that loud with proper settings (High Buffersettings, High Latency).

Low Latency is just required when using DAW monitoring and FX. If you don't need that even the Macbook Air should be able to do recordings of a single track without the need for fans. Did you have any background tasks running?

Cheers,
Smokehead
Smokehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:35 AM   #6
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehead View Post
Just a single track recording? Did you enable DAW montoring and FX? Which I/O settings did you use?
no background tasks, 16/96 and a 128 buffer with my Thunderbolt interface (like under 4ms RTT).

recording a single track with DAW monitoring and without FX in a project that has under 40 tracks (and a couple of Kontakt instances, a couple of Ambience instances and several ReaEQs -- nothing really heavy).

this said, even under daily usage like Web browsing the new Air i5 is hotter and louder than my ThinkPad X390/i5. I owned a 2012 i5 Air and it wasn't that hot and loud.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:59 AM   #7
Smokehead

Quote:
no background tasks, 16/96 and a 128 buffer with my Thunderbolt interface (like under 4ms RTT).
I usually record with about maximum buffer size to increase stability and avoid any crackling/issues but usually i don't have the need for DAW monitoring. That's another aspect.

Quote:
recording a single track with DAW monitoring and without FX in a project that has under 40 tracks (and a couple of Kontakt instances, a couple of Ambience instances and several ReaEQs -- nothing really heavy).
Well that's a whole new world. I got heavy CPU usage on my Macbook Pro 15 (2019) and therefore loud fan noise even when only instancing superior-drummer or loading small kontakt instruments. Just the instance without processing increases the CPU usage. When i'm tracking using microphones i print/freeze these tracks before to avoid the fans going crazy.

Cheers,
Smokehead
Old 06-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #8
Vasily

Quote:
I usually record with about maximum buffer size to increase stability and avoid any crackling/issues but usually i don't have the need for DAW monitoring. That's another aspect.
come on, I've always used software monitoring since 2013. even on a 1GHz netbook. and it always worked fine and didn't consume lots of resources.

I actually also tested the buffer size and there's no difference between 128 and 1024 buffer -- it's same hot and noisy (and I actually cannot tell the difference from the Activity Monitor).

Quote:
When i'm tracking using microphones i print/freeze these tracks before to avoid the fans going crazy.
never had to do this in 7 years as well.

I mean, I have this exact project with these Kontakts for years on many computers and didn't face those problems yet as badly.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:45 AM   #9
Smokehead

That's interesting and good to know! I'm still wondering why i have to freeze on an almost new MBP.. Maybe that's just bad implementation and thermal management. Maybe that's just an apple issue.