Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #41
Schram
Human being with feelings

I strongly recommend using Mixtools for recording from the XR18.

https://forum.music-group.com/showth...IXTOOLS/page27

I mix from the stage and can't monitor the recording. I used to use reaper until I discovered that it was too easy to make a mistake and lose a recording. (in fact, I criticized mixtools for not being necessary since I used reaper -- oops)

With mixtools, I can load it and hit record while the drummer is counting off (ok, if it's a long count). 18 tracks auto named to time/track# go to its own folder. I record each set and don't have to think about it. I later move a new folder, rename tracks and load into reaper

Make sure to tap the XR18 at analog or input so the recording is not ruined by clipping.
Schram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #42
jimosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram View Post
I strongly recommend using Mixtools for recording from the XR18.
I recommend MixTools as well.
I use Reaper to send backing tracks, click and midi automation (of my XR18 and my Kemper Profiler and DMX lighting)...so I have regions for each song (each song is a subproject).

Because I need to stop/start the tracks for each song; I still wanted to record the entire night without breaks in the recording - so MixTools runs in the background recording everything. (Yes, Reaper can be configured for ASIO sending to the XR18 while MixTools is also recording on ASIO).

Since I'm using USB to send the backing tracks, I did need to use one of the Aux sends on the XR18 to feed into channel 17 (because MixTools won't recording incoming USB audio).
For break music; I use MusicBee to play a playlist of songs (also configured to playback on ASIO to the XR18 (channel 17/18) -- then all I have to do is toggle the channel 17/18 off of USB input (I could probably feed the Aux6 send to a normal XLR input to avoid having to toggle the USB on and off for ch. 17/18 but I'm using all of the XLR inputs).

So; that takes care of all of the recording and playback of backing tracks (but MixTools creates a bunch of files that are named pretty ugly (such as 20180518220419_Track_1.wav. 20180518220419_Track_10.wav, 20180518220419_Track_11.wav, etc.)
We play 3 one hour sets a night, so I end up with 54 wav files that are an hour a piece...(recording to SSD, I've never had any lags or glitches).
I created a PowerShell script to run thru all of the wav files, remove the random number at the beginning and rename each file to be (01-Kick.wav, 02-Snare.wav, etc.) -- It then moves each batch of files into their own folder (Set 1, Set 2, Set 3)
(I'm happy to share that PowerShell script if anyone wants to check it out.)

Now, for mixing the final product; what I did is this:
I added 18 tracks, each named appropriately (Kick, Snare, T1, T2, etc.)...
I imported each of the .wavs to their track and then mixed away with all of the plugins and such that I want....then I select all of the tracks (not the wavs) and right-click on them and do the 'Save tracks as template'.
Then all I need to do the next time is to open a new project and choose 'Tracks \ Insert tracks from template' and select that template.
That loads up all 18 tracks (without wavs, but with all of the plugins)...
Then I just go to the folders with the new wavs in them and select them all, then drag them to the Kick track and choose (insert on separate tracks) and it'll drop them all on the appropriate track).

Since we use the same mics, inputs, settings, etc for every show - it makes it super easy to go from having 54 raw wav files into a great Reaper template that already has the final VSTs and such -- then it's just a matter of giving it a quick listen and maybe a minor tweak here and there and mixing down.
Sometimes I will go thru and create regions for each song (or a specific song if that's all I care about).
jimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #43
Schram

Wasn't expecting to see this a year later... Must admit that I have abandoned mixtools after too many instances of a track or two getting out of alignment due to recording glitch.
Reaper has never done that and it only takes 3.2 seconds longer to load my template and hit record before playing my set.
Schram is offline   Reply With Quote