Old 11-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
g8torcliff
Human being with feelings

Default Mac newbie - vst's, rtas,au

I don't use Mac, but my son who lives 800 miles away does. He uses a MacPro that is nearly brand new, PT 7.3, Digi003. Lately he is beginning to ask me a bunch of questions regarding the use of software like EZdrummer, Native Instruments, etc. I have found that he needs to have them in RTAS, or, if VST they need to be converted to RTAS bla bla......to run in PT on his Mac.

My question: If I could talk him into trying out Reaper on his Mac, would he be able to run the billions of free FX, VST's, VSTi's etc as .dll files in a simple VST Plugin folder in Reaper. Or, are there hoops.....

I'm pretty good with PC's but this Mac stuff is something else...then add PT to the mix with its proprietary mindset and I feel pretty dumb....

Thanks

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
mahasandi

Hey Cliff!

(i'll only help if you vote Obama!....just kidding, sort of..

I use to use pt and i much prefer reaper.If he has a lot of vst's he should donwload reaper and reaper should load all of his vst's and au's . The vst's and vst-i's should be in the folder
hd/library/audio/plug-ins/vst.
then reaper will see them. if reaper doesn't , in reaper go to otpions/preferences/vst/ use the file choose or browser and go to hd/library/audio/plug-ins/vst and then press clear cache and rescan directory.
Now it should all work!

Last edited by mahasandi; 11-04-2008 at 10:10 AM.
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torcliff View Post

run the billions of free FX, VST's, VSTi's etc as .dll files in a simple VST Plugin folder in Reaper. Or, are there hoops.....
That will absolutely not work! Windows VST plugin dll's will not work on Mac OS-X. The same goes for other plugin types, they need to be built for Mac OS-X.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
g8torcliff

really? so they have to be converted to au or rtas?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
mrelwood

Quote:
would he be able to run the billions of free FX, VST's, VSTi's etc as .dll files
No. PC plugins do not work in a Mac. Some plugins have Vst or Rtas versions for both Mac and PC. But it is an unfortunate fact that there are indeed billions of free plugins for PC, but not so for Mac. After switching to a Mac I've had to dig deeper into the ReaPlugs, and don't miss the free ones that much anymore. Although, instruments and Soundfonts are harder to replace.

Reaper for Mac understands both Vst and AU, but not Rtas ofcourse. Being a beta version, I think there are still some plugins that don't work on a Reaper for Mac, but I think EZDrummer does work.

Plugins might not be the best argument for Mac Reaper since everyone has their own favourites, but there are so many features in Reaper that literally kill PT.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Xenakios

Quote:
really? so they have to be converted to au or rtas?
Nope, converting isn't possible either. Windows and Mac OS-X are completely different operating systems, so they generally speaking can't run software that is available only for the other.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
g8torcliff

Yes, given all the freebies that come with Reaper, those plugins will not be that difficult replace. I think the biggest problems will be with the soundfonts and the instruments like you said.... He has EZdrummer, EWSL Sym Choir and some other stuff.

I guess we'll just have to see if I can get him to take a stab at Reaper.....

cliff
Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
mahasandi

sorry!

i missed the .dll part.

"use of software like EZdrummer, Native Instruments, etc"

these have mac installers so they will work fine once the .vst's are installed on the mac.

some plugs are not yet supported it's true but i'm running a ton that do.

or he can run vmware and the pc version of reaper and use all of his plugs on reaper in xp.
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote