Old 11-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
andyp24
Human being with feelings

Default Fade Shapes 7 and 8???

Hi all

When Getting or Setting the properties of a media item Fade Shape, numbers 0 to 6 correspond with the Fade Shapes shown when you right click on an item fade (0=linear etc).

However, sometimes when I Get the FadeOutShape of an item, it returns the value 7 instead of one of these obvious options. It looks like it's the same as shape 1. Also, I can set the Shape to 8 which makes it linear.

Can anyone tell me what the significance of these two "extra" types are please? I'm trying to write my first scripts, involving manipulation of item fades, and think this could cause problems if I don't know what they're for.

Many thanks
Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
andyp24

OK, so a couple of days, 68 views and no answers....

Where should I go now?

Given that the existence of these "secret" fade shapes seems to be unknown to the accomplished scripters in this forum, and the API documentation on fade shapes is incomplete, should I report the existence of numbers 7 and 8 as a bug, in the hope that (whether it is or isn't) Justin might see that and shed some light on it?

Andy
Old 12-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #3
andyp24

A bit more digging and I've discovered something else....

If you set an individual item fade out to the shape below Linear, that's a number 1.

If in the preferences, you set your default crossfade to the one below Linear, that's actually a number 7 (and a very slightly different curve from number 1).

I still have no idea why setting a fade to shape number 8 makes it linear, but that doesn't seem to happen "in the wild", as it were, so I can probably ignore it for the purposes of my scripts.

Andy
Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
X-Raym

@andyp24
Quote:
OK, so a couple of days, 68 views and no answers....
It takes time to reproduce bugs, so if you want to attract attention, you should consider at least posting a screenshot to catch attention (so we can instantly see what is wrong), posting some code, and at most, sending the .rpp project directly :P

So here is a screesnhot:

Fades type 8 (ID 7 from reascript) isn't avaible as action or right click menu.
Though, the last items on the screenshots shows fade type 2 (ID 1 from reascript) over type 8: and yes, there are not the same !

Now lets try to see if it is just fade 2 with a different curve.

It is close, but it doesn't match !

There is an undocumented unimplemented fade type.

Higher fades ID are just linear, so these doesn't matter. Just more room for future fade types, but these are linear for now.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
nofish

Good job Sherlock.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #6
andyp24

Thanks X-Raym for confirming and producing the images etc...

I guess what I was expecting was that someone with far greater knowledge of Reaper than me would appear and say "no, you idiot, you just need to look at THIS documentation, which explains everything perfectly!" ;-)

I never really thought I would have uncovered something actually strange/inconsistent in the implementation.

I'll post in the Bug Report section, using your images if I may, so that hopefully the Devs see the issue and find a way to make it more user-friendly.

Now I just have to find out why (even ignoring the fades issue here) my script doesn't work as expected, but I think we all know the answer to that one.... :-D

Andy
Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #7
X-Raym

Well, it is not really a bug cause it doesn't break anything, and that the doc says nothing about fade 7 and 8 so we were not supposed to go there ina first place :P

But yes report, so we can have more information on this hidden fade types anyway !

Quite some scripts actually have purpose to overcome some reaper bugs. Scripting is always full of surprise ^^
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
andyp24

Posted in the Bug Reports forum now.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

This isn't a bug. The longtime fade type 2, when used as a crossfade, is not exactly equivalent to equal-power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=4x
REAPER v4.30 - November 14, 2012
+ Fades/crossfades: default crossfade shape is equal power (existing projects are unchanged)
As of REAPER 4.30, new crossfades using this general shape are type 8, but in order not to change the sound of existing projects, type 2 was retained for all existing fades and crossfades.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #10
andyp24

Thanks for the explanation Schwa

I understand the reason for the change, but should there not be an action for Set Fade Type to 8 (Equal Power)?

It's kind of confusing when I set a fade to what I think is type 2 and it's actually type 8, but only if that's done as a crossfade rather than an individual one, isn't it?

I guess for most practical purposes it makes little difference so I accept it's not a bug as such, but perhaps it could be better documented in the API and user guide?

Thanks
Andy