Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 AM   #41
TonE
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Perfect! Thanks so much! This puts things in a very usable state for me, so I'll be testing a lot more extensively in the coming weeks. Man, it's so cool how easy ReaPack makes it to test and update stuff like this. Can't believe how quickly you put this together, or indeed that someone still exists to appreciate the workflow of Buzz enough to take the time! G/L with your other projects!
Buzz has the best workflow of all time, and will always be. Simplest possible interface but with power editing options. Add a break here and there, for variety, finished.

Looked very quickly to hackey machines, it seems what it does basically, beside all the pictured explanations above: For each box/machine it creates a new Reaper track, for each arrow it creates a Reaper send. In short hackey machines allows much more comfortable workflow with send adjustments. This is perfect if you are someone like me who almost never used Reapers built in sends extensively, as those settings are too difficult to access, quickly. For main send tracks, like 8 sends, I was using instead normal Reaper tracks as sends. Now I can continue using those, plus now hackey machines. Playing around with send fx should be much more fun now. Duplicate and modify is also fantastic. Thanks saike and all idea generators.

FYI
Hackey Machines installs under Scripts/Routing tools/MachineView

Last edited by TonE; 09-19-2018 at 12:19 AM. Reason: installation dir added
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #42
TonE

Shift-link creates a send routing, now.
What about adding something for sidechain routing, ctrl-shift-link for example?

How should it work?
ctrl-shift-link from kick to pad and pad would start to sidechain according to kick input. There are already various actions which can do this. Hackey Machines could use them, too. The main difference would be, typically you send to 3/4 instead of 1/2. The other signal will listen to 3/4 of course.

Tracks could get default names, e.g. name of first fx during creation.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #43
foxAsteria

Hey there mate, and welcome back! I messed around with the control settings and there's just a few things I'm still struggling with. I really need a way for right drag to pan the view instead of middle mouse. I just can't get used to it, since I use RMB navigation in my 3 most used apps and it's just ingrained in my workflow by now. I studied the script and saw how I could switch it, but I think the context menu prevents it from actually working. If you have a handy way to make this optional, that would be super helpful to me.

I noticed are that when the help info or other text is up, zooming and panning still happen, but in the background the results don't show until the text is gone. It's a little strange.

Breaking the connections says REM. Might be good to make it consistent with deleting machines (DEL)? To my mind BRK (for break) or DIS (disconnect) might even be more intuitive.

Would it be possible to have a square grid instead of rectangular (half as wide as now)?

Lastly, I guess the color opacity should be somewhat higher, maybe 75%? It doen't give very accurate results with either background color, currently.

Thanks, dude!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #44
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkrebs View Post
As for the FX_list, adding ReaEq works fine. Maybe something with the spaces, although I haven't noticed the same problem on any of the VSTs I've got in there. Good luck!
Seems that for JSFX, you have to use the filename in the list rather than the name. Not sure why this is seemingly inconsistent in the API :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
What about adding something for sidechain routing, ctrl-shift-link for example?

ctrl-shift-link from kick to pad and pad would start to sidechain according to kick input. There are already various actions which can do this. Hackey Machines could use them, too. The main difference would be, typically you send to 3/4 instead of 1/2. The other signal will listen to 3/4 of course.
Sure thing. Added. CTRL + SHIFT sends to channel 3/4 by default instead of the normal 1/2. A little X when dragging denotes that you are doing this.
By the way, you can also edit the channels it is routed to by hovering over the cable's arrow.

Quote:
Tracks could get default names, e.g. name of first fx during creation.
The default name for a block is the first FX when a track name is absent.

Quote:
I really need a way for right drag to pan the view instead of middle mouse. I just can't get used to it, since I use RMB navigation in my 3 most used apps and it's just ingrained in my workflow by now. I studied the script and saw how I could switch it, but I think the context menu prevents it from actually working. If you have a handy way to make this optional, that would be super helpful to me.
Added this as option, moving the insert machine context menu to middle mouse. You can toggle control scheme via F12.

Quote:
I noticed are that when the help info or other text is up, zooming and panning still happen, but in the background the results don't show until the text is gone. It's a little strange.
Can you show me a GIF of this? I think I may be misunderstanding what you mean. The help should disappear when you pan the view.

Quote:
Breaking the connections says REM. Might be good to make it consistent with deleting machines (DEL)? To my mind BRK (for break) or DIS (disconnect) might even be more intuitive.
Decided to go with DEL for consistency even though BRK looks cool and DIS seemed most logical.

Quote:
Would it be possible to have a square grid instead of rectangular (half as wide as now)?
Done.

Quote:
Lastly, I guess the color opacity should be somewhat higher, maybe 75%?
I made it a bit higher.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #45
foxAsteria

Thanks, sai'ke! Ok you're right panning does make the infos go away, but zooming doesn't. Just hit F1, zoom, then click to see the zooming happen after the infos go away. Not a huge deal, but pretty weird.

I'll redo my config changes and submit them to you in case you want to try them for a preset.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #46
kmkrebs

Regarding the use of 'shift + right button' to bring up the default Reaper VST lists that I saw in the other Hackey-Tracker thread.

When I try it, I get in initial error 'Could not find ini plugin file: (...)reaper-vstplugins.ini', followed by the menu coming up.

I think the reason is that I have no 32-bit Vst plugins, only 64-bit. I checked the Reaper directory, and verified the only file there is reaper-vstplugins64.ini.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #47
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkrebs View Post
Regarding the use of 'shift + right button' to bring up the default Reaper VST lists that I saw in the other Hackey-Tracker thread.

When I try it, I get in initial error 'Could not find ini plugin file: (...)reaper-vstplugins.ini', followed by the menu coming up.

I think the reason is that I have no 32-bit Vst plugins, only 64-bit. I checked the Reaper directory, and verified the only file there is reaper-vstplugins64.ini.
Whoops. Yeah, I assumed they would always exist unless there was something wrong. I have removed the warning.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #48
TonE

How far are we from a first playlist prototype? It could work as follows, as suggested before, here the most minimal suggestion:

- marker 'playlist' is where playlist will be arranged
- for each track, all items in arrange from left to right until marker playlist are counted and named a la buzz 0..9, a..z
- that's it, an excel table is used to enter values 0..9, a..z and those items will be placed in arrange after marker 'playlist'

- for simplicity, each excel cell could be 1 bar
- for simplicity, no muting yet
- for simplicity, no break yet

A more crazy, nowhere else available yet, playlist variant could work as follows:
- depending on the zoom level, above example with 1 bar
- any item longer than 1 bar will be named a la buzz, all shorter items will be ignored
- arrange will follow your excel entries
- if you change zoom level, e.g. shorten it to 1 beat instead of 1 bar, naming will be for all items longer than 1 beat, thus the arrange will also change accordingly, this is the crazy behaviour part, you could switch zoom levels, and listen to a new arranged variant. Crazy but why not, as an experimental feature?

For loop techno one could select e.g. 2 beat zoom level.

Additionally, the playlist could support, by default, logic like auto looping, also not available in normal buzz. Everything would auto-loop from excel cell starting position until 'playlist' + 10mins position. You can stop auto-loop by adding a break or another item value, thus the new item would auto-loop. This would remove the need to retype same value just for looping, nowaday we want loops anyway, mostly, in electronic music. At least with a tracker interface.

Last edited by TonE; 09-27-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 AM   #49
TonE

Something is in the making, cool.

https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Hacke...terns_exec.lua

Tried quickly v0.04 and v0.05, we have already the Excel table, great, thanks a lot sai'ke for starting also this!
- insert/backspace for shifting an item for 1 beat also works
- shifting in arrange shifts in Sequencer (of Hackey Patterns)
- items are called 'patterns', better would be simply using 'items' keeping Reaper conventions. UPDATE: NO, in hackey patterns, patterns are items + automation items, so it is more than only Reaper items. So this new term makes sense. One can imagine it as a pattern of a hardware sequencer like on (S)Elektron machines or Korg.
- we can add patterns, counting is 1-based, first pattern should use 0 however, like in buzz, not 1
- Still have to make sure that when patterns are deleted, the media item adjacent is also stretched to fill up the space. I guess this is for the auto-looping feature. Following action might help hopefully:
PHP Code:
CustomAUTO-LOOP
  Time selection
Set time selection to items
  Item
Split items at time selection
  Item
Glue items
  Script
kawa_MAIN_SetItemEndToNextItemStart_Type2.lua 
or only the last one, the kawa lua.

Last edited by TonE; 10-16-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: tested 0.04 of Hackey-Patterns, UPDATE on term pattern
Old 10-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #50
TonE

Hackey Machines needs a video. A video for Hackey Patterns would be too early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUh8-iuDLhQ

Last edited by TonE; 10-04-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #51
TonE

A few more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b6nBPB0VDU

Bad sound is part of the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M3XmjWVItM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX8LR3oOHyQ
Old 10-08-2018, 02:42 AM   #52
TonE

How you can have fun with hackey trackey and hackey patterns from genious sai'ke, using shortcircuit, inside Reaper DAW, the magic DAW, imitating jeskola buzz tracker functionality via lua scripts developed by master sai'ke. Thanks sai'ke! sai'ke rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3il1jEt928
Old 10-08-2018, 04:39 AM   #53
TonE

A mixture of Atari ST Notator, Reaper and jeskola buzz. Wonderful world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQDyQ0vLv4

Last edited by TonE; 10-09-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #54
TonE

Hey Joep, master, friend,

a beautiful tune you have here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbqgMrH1WY

One can hear immediately, it was made with love.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #55
sai'ke

Ghehe, thanks.

I did a lot of fixes and feature updates to this plug over the past few months. The main ones being:

- Added text outlines to help make text more readable.
- Added rmb on mute block solos track.
- Added extra F9 option for showing only routing of selected tracks.
- Added track color support.
- Added vertical layout mode (CTRL+F7). Note that this relies on you coloring your tracks in groups. Track with VCA in the name will always be placed at the top.
- Added word-wrapping for machine names.
- Show signal cable as active when manipulating signal
- Make doubleclick focus on first effect
- Suppress dialog when VST machine list doesn't exist
- Added modifier option to send audio to sidechain
- Added record arm toggle.
- Ctrl + doubleclick machine opens MPL Wiredchain (relies on it already being installed!)
- Alt + doubleclick opens FX window instead of just first effect
- Added ESC to close all floating windows (relies on SWS).
- Added a loader for the script (OpenMachineView.lua) which makes sure that the existing one regains focus or a new one is created when executed.
- Add signal flow highlighting
Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #56
foxAsteria

Quote:
Hey Joep, master, friend,

a beautiful tune you have here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbqgMrH1WY

One can hear immediately, it was made with love.
I agree! The main piano is reminds me of the kAway buzz machine.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #57
sai'ke

Ghehe thanks. I think I wrote that one not long after our family dog passed away.

I don't think it was the kAway actually. Just some imperfect sine sample where I had changed the position of a few samples. It was Jeskola Buzz tho'!

There's also a very slight fuzzy distortion on it with a pure wet delay. I think it was actually the cyanphase distortion. The buzzmachine that inspired the spline thing in filther.

I actually thought of remastering this one once, but the buzz file is b0rked. Ahhh good old buzz. You could work on a track as long as it would let you.

But back to machineview, maybe you can show what a project can look like in the linear view w/colors. I haven't really had a chance to work with it myself yet.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #58
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
I actually thought of remastering this one once, but the buzz file is b0rked. Ahhh good old buzz. You could work on a track as long as it would let you.
I've used buzzhelper to fix buzz songs that stopped opening. If you're not familiar with it or can't find it, I can try to fix the file if you want.

It's only a small example, but I wanted to see if this could get non-buzz users excited. I think it's definitely not a niche tool if folks would give it a chance. Project example here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=214163
Old 11-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #59
Vagelis

Oh haven't seen this one before.Looks great,thank you!
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #60
doppelganger

looks very cool, but i can't understand from GIF, what this script can actually do? I see some effects routed to master (master track?) Is this some kind of sophisticated fx routing or what?
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #61
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
looks very cool, but i can't understand from GIF, what this script can actually do? I see some effects routed to master (master track?) Is this some kind of sophisticated fx routing or what?
It's just a way to visualize and manipulate the signal routing. It doesn't really add any new functionality, just a different way of representing it.

Shift + Drag connects devices for instance.