Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
keyman_sam
Human being with feelings

Default How do I achieve this in Reaper?

I have a loopback setup for the purpose of sampling.

I have an instance of TX16W sampler for sampling my main outs in reaper. I have routed my master outs to an unused SPDIF L/R channel in RME mixer. I can see the input audio going to my track (great), but I don't want to hear it, neither do I want to record it. It is only for the purpose of the sampler.

If I disable input monitoring or disable record arm, the sampler does not see any audio. If I have input monitoring enabled, my entire master out is getting played twice resulting in a phasey audio.

So, I don't want to hear the input audio, but I want to be able to hear what I'm playing back to hear what I just sampled. Is this possible?
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
I have a loopback setup for the purpose of sampling.

I have an instance of TX16W sampler for sampling my main outs in reaper. I have routed my master outs to an unused SPDIF L/R channel in RME mixer. I can see the input audio going to my track (great), but I don't want to hear it, neither do I want to record it. It is only for the purpose of the sampler.

If I disable input monitoring or disable record arm, the sampler does not see any audio. If I have input monitoring enabled, my entire master out is getting played twice resulting in a phasey audio.

So, I don't want to hear the input audio, but I want to be able to hear what I'm playing back to hear what I just sampled. Is this possible?
Try to disable the master/parent send in the routing window of the track, that holds your TX16W.
This will result in a fully functional track with activated input monitoring.
But due to disabling the master / parent send no audio will get to your master bus.

BTW: You are really sending audio outside of reaper to then feed it back in to then sample it isnside of REAPER?
Isn´t there a smarter way, without really leaving REAPER.
I am thinking of a setup with more than 2 channels, or another subgroup with sends just before the actual output.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #3
keyman_sam

Loopback in RME is the easiest thing. No hassle, just works.

This is so that I'm not bound by any one app - I can sample anything from anywhere - if I want to sample a sound from Ableton I can. Without the loopback you can't achieve that.

Anyways, the problem with disabling the master send is that if I want to hear the audio from the sampler I can't. A real catch-22.

One way to circumvent this whole business is to just open a standalone host and host the sampler there. If reaper can't do this, I'll have to resort to that.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:44 AM   #4
msmucr

I hope, I got correctly, what you want to do.

When it would be everything in Reaper.. I would just place all existing tracks into common folder track and move all of possible master bus FXs there. Then I would create normal stereo send from this folder to additional track (outside of that folder track) with your sampler.
If I wouldn't like to hear its output, then I will just move its fader to minimum (sampler plugin is always pre-fader).
For input from other applications then Reaper, you can always create additional input track, which can also go this sampler track via send.. there are several ways, how to do input audio from other application.. from RME loop-back feature, through ReWire to use of ReaASIO (only available at Windows, when Reaper isn't installed as portable).

With your current described setup with SPDIF loopback, you can just leave input monitoring on at sampler track and set fader on this track to minimum to avoid doubled playback..
Then if you want to listen to sampler output, then just disable input monitoring and move track fader to unity level.

Michal
Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
With your current described setup with SPDIF loopback, you can just leave input monitoring on at sampler track and set fader on this track to minimum to avoid doubled playback..
Then if you want to listen to sampler output, then just disable input monitoring and move track fader to unity level.

Michal
That is another way to avoid double playback. But he wants to hear AND sample at the same time, right.
Not a REAPER issue imho.
One way overcome this is to use multiple out on TX16W which I don´t know if possible.
As long as the audio get´s through from input (you need for sampling) to the master bus (you need for playback), you will have double playback.

But I am not completely sure if that is what you want.
Sample and playback at the same time, from the same instance of TX16W?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
keyman_sam

Quote:
I hope, I got correctly, what you want to do.

When it would be everything in Reaper.. I would just place all existing tracks into common folder track and move all of possible master bus FXs there. Then I would create normal stereo send from this folder to additional track (outside of that folder track) with your sampler.
If I wouldn't like to hear its output, then I will just move its fader to minimum (sampler plugin is always pre-fader).
For input from other applications then Reaper, you can always create additional input track, which can also go this sampler track via send.. there are several ways, how to do input audio from other application.. from RME loop-back feature, through ReWire to use of ReaASIO (only available at Windows, when Reaper isn't installed as portable).

Michal
This is what I was afraid of - a very tedious solution. I think I'll try Chainer + Reaper. It should solve both the monitoring problem AND the playback problem. If I ever need to sequence the sampler, I can just midi out from loop be virtual midi cable to chainer virtual midi input.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
msmucr

Quote:
This is what I was afraid of - a very tedious solution. I think I'll try Chainer + Reaper. It should solve both the monitoring problem AND the playback problem. If I ever need to sequence the sampler, I can just midi out from loop be virtual midi cable to chainer virtual midi input.
If you feel, this is tedious solution with fader movement complication, you've just described another one
Parallel track with mentioned sends seems to be easiest solution to me, all done in one program and everything will be stored in one Reaper project file. All other possible DAW software via Rewire.

YMMV of course.

Michal
Old 02-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
keyman_sam

Quote:
If you feel, this is tedious solution with fader movement complication, you've just described another one
Parallel track with mentioned sends seems to be easiest solution to me, all done in one program and everything will be stored in one Reaper project file. All other possible DAW software via Rewire.

YMMV of course.

Michal
The problem is that in every project I have to create this pseudo master output, and I still have to keep moving the fader.

With an external host like chainer both issues are solved. I don't have to touch the fader at all. Only issue is with rendering but anyways the main idea is to sample - the samples will be loaded in battery or another app if needed.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:48 AM   #9
msmucr

Quote:
The problem is that in every project I have to create this pseudo master output, and I still have to keep moving the fader.
I see. Well for me it isn't almost no change, as I usually have another layer of folders tracks anyway for ease of automation, such parallel sends, possible online bounces to another tracks.. I typically use master track just for some measurement plugins or something, which I don't want to be "printed" to mix. But I see, this approach can be generally perceived as workflow leftover from other DAWs.. like ProTools
You can possibly avoid fader movement by adding hardware send to different ASIO output from the sampler track instead of master/parent send. Its output will be then mixed at RME TotalMix to physical output at interface, which is used for monitoring. Of course if you'll be using TotalMix loopback, then you have to be careful to don't include this ASIO output in mix for this loopback input to avoid feedback.

Quote:
With an external host like chainer both issues are solved. I don't have to touch the fader at all. Only issue is with rendering but anyways the main idea is to sample - the samples will be loaded in battery or another app if needed.
I don't know, what chainer is, but for standalone hosting of single VST or VSTi plugins I usually use SAVIHost, it is great small free app
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm
Just put copy of it into the same folder as your plugin and rename exe file to same base filename as the plugin.. eg. TX16Wx.exe in case of 32bit TX16Wx.

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 02-04-2016 at 03:07 AM.
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
keyman_sam

Quote:
I see. Well for me it isn't almost no change, as I usually have another layer of folders tracks anyway for ease of automation, such parallel sends, possible online bounces to another tracks.. I typically use master track just for some measurement plugins or something, which I don't want to be "printed" to mix. But I see, this approach can be generally perceived as workflow leftover from other DAWs.. like ProTools
You can possibly avoid fader movement by adding hardware send to different ASIO output from the sampler track instead of master/parent send. Its output will be then mixed at RME TotalMix to physical output at interface, which is used for monitoring. Of course if you'll be using TotalMix loopback, then you have to be careful to don't include this ASIO output in mix for this loopback input to avoid feedback.

I don't know, what chainer is, but for standalone hosting of single VST or VSTi plugins I usually use SAVIHost, it is great small free app
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm
Just put copy of it into the same folder as your plugin and rename exe file to same base filename as the plugin.. eg. TX16Wx.exe in case of 32bit TX16Wx.

Michal
Cool! Savihost looks great - i'll give that a spin. Thanks!