Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-20-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
fbeauvaisc
Human being with feelings

Default Media Item - Downmix to Multichannel Formats

Hi,

I'm working in 7.1 almost exclusively these days and I'm encountering new workflow issues when trying to optimize my sessions.

One of the greatest feature of Reaper is that it can host both midi and audio on it's tracks. For years now, I've always printed audio from orchestral libraries as I go. I love that workflow and it's been extremely powerful and useful to me.

But now, I'm confronted with multichannel sessions getting unnecessarily massive very quickly. Because I work in 7.1, to fully take advantage of my libraries, I've started to route different microphone positions, most often surround microphones to input channel 3-4 so that I can pan 4 input channels in ReaSurroundPan to my 8 outputs channels.

When I print those input channels to audio using a the following custom action, I'm voluntarily not printing my panner, I'm bypassing my FX with the exception of the VSTi and Reaticulate so I can work with audio instead of midi but keep the the spacialization flexible.

My issue is that that action, prints 8 channels of audio with 4 of them being silence. I would only need the first 4 for them to then get spacialized to 8 channels from ReaSurroudPan.

There might be different approaches we could take to optimize this workflow but one way I can think of is by having the option to downmix an item to multichannel formats instead of just mono or stereo.

I chose to make a feature request but feel free to offer alternative ideas to improve this workflow.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture d’écran_20230220_120351.png (9.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: png Capture d’écran_20230220_121010.png (59.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: png Capture d’écran_20230220_121602.png (13.6 KB, 71 views)
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote