Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
dupont
Human being with feelings

Default Apply FX no played in it's own track

Apply FX is not played if there are midi item in the track

To reproduce :
Select a midi item (track with a instrument plugin)
Apply FX as a new take
Hit Play, the audio is not played
Move the audio item in another track (even a track with midi clips and instrument plugin)
Hit play, the audio is played

Why is the audio not played when in the track where it was bonced but is played in other tracks ?
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:47 AM   #2
dupont

I made a video to explain the issue

track 1 : microtonic plugin, I bounce & crop the midi item
look at track 1 the level meter : midi item is played but audio item not played
=> bug

track 2 : tyrell N6 plugin, I drag the bounced audio item from track 1, look at track 2 level meter, midi item is played and audio item is played.
=> expected behavior

I made the same trial with a battery 4 instance an the bug is the same.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N1...VHl_VQPVhnc8WE
Old 04-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
dupont

I got in touch with sonic charge team, the made some test with microtonic and conclude this is a Reaper issue.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
akademie

I would say that Reaper timeline audio item does not pass through the active Microtonic plugin. It seems that it eats the information and does not passthrough.

I wouldn't see it as Reaper's fault, when it is working correctly with plugin of another developer (Tyrell N6 as you say).
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:01 AM   #5
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
I would say that Reaper timeline audio item does not pass through the active Microtonic plugin. It seems that it eats the information and does not passthrough.

I wouldn't see it as Reaper's fault, when it is working correctly with plugin of another developer (Tyrell N6 as you say).
I have to disagree because as I wrote in my 2nd post "I made the same trial with a battery 4 instance and the bug is the same".
Bug happens with at least 2 different developers so the are few chances there plugins make the same bug.

Reaper team has implemented an useful feature which don't work in some cases as some plugins are not coded to let audio passthrough.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:20 AM   #6
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
I have to disagree because as I wrote in my 2nd post "I made the same trial with a battery 4 instance and the bug is the same".
Bug happens with at least 2 different developers so the are few chances there plugins make the same bug.

Reaper team has implemented an useful feature which don't work in some cases as some plugins are not coded to let audio passthrough.
Have you tried Reaper's native "Dry/Wet" knob in the plugin window of a plugin?
You should be able to workaround this problem dealing with those specific plugins by setting the knob to 50%.

I think thet by design the audio from media items goes through the FX plugin chain, and all plugins should have pass the signal through (modified in any way EQ, etc). Plugins that have impact on timing etc. like Delays and Reverbs or Modulators obviously have that Dry/Wet knob inbuilt in itself, again for obvious reason. The Reaper adds such knob to its common interface that we can use this feature in every imaginable plugin for our creative purposes even when the plugin itself does not offers this mix feature.

Being the VSTi plugin does make sense that it is a generator rather than an effect, so there is only its own output, right. The fact that some VSTis kill the input signal and some of them not does mean that there is no standard (to say) and so how could Reaper know where it is intended and where it is not? One plugin can rely on the fact that they do stop incoming audio and provide only own generated output, while another plugin can rely on the fact (which you have proven also) that incoming audio is passed through automatically. Ehh, no way how the Reaper could identify the plugin intended behaviour (VSTi identification is, of course, has no usable value then for this).

So, I don't think thay it is real bug either on plugins or Reaper side.

Reaper's Dry/Wet knob is our friend right there

Last edited by akademie; 04-10-2020 at 04:22 AM. Reason: marked bold the specific part of text of quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Have you tried Reaper's native "Dry/Wet" knob in the plugin window of a plugin?
You should be able to workaround this problem dealing with those specific plugins by setting the knob to 50%.

I think thet by design the audio from media items goes through the FX plugin chain, and all plugins should have pass the signal through (modified in any way EQ, etc). Plugins that have impact on timing etc. like Delays and Reverbs or Modulators obviously have that Dry/Wet knob inbuilt in itself, again for obvious reason. The Reaper adds such knob to its common interface that we can use this feature in every imaginable plugin for our creative purposes even when the plugin itself does not offers this mix feature.

Being the VSTi plugin does make sense that it is a generator rather than an effect, so there is only its own output, right. The fact that some VSTis kill the input signal and some of them not does mean that there is no standard (to say) and so how could Reaper know where it is intended and where it is not? One plugin can rely on the fact that they do stop incoming audio and provide only own generated output, while another plugin can rely on the fact (which you have proven also) that incoming audio is passed through automatically. Ehh, no way how the Reaper could identify the plugin intended behaviour (VSTi identification is, of course, has no usable value then for this).

So, I don't think thay it is real bug either on plugins or Reaper side.

Reaper's Dry/Wet knob is our friend right there
Thanks for the feedback, I will try tomorrow the dry/wet knob
Old 04-11-2020, 04:23 AM   #8
dupont

@akademie

It works with dry/wet knob, thanks you made my day.
It will make editing easier midi and audio items on the same track.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:32 AM   #9
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
@akademie

It works with dry/wet knob, thanks you made my day.
It will make editing easier midi and audio items on the same track.
You're welcome, friend