Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 4 - Tips and Tricks - by Kenny Gioia - Video Tutorials!!!

Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper 4 Tutorials.

Reaper 4 - Tips and Tricks

AWESOME TIPS & TRICKS FOR REAPER

Use Reaper? Want to get more out of it? Reaper master Kenny Gioia shows you a ton of cool tips and tricks that you can use when working with the powerful Reaper DAW.

Kenny starts off the collection with screen sets, freezing tracks, automating plug-ins, custom click tracks and sidechaining in Reaper. He then dives into drum editing, drum replacement techniques and working with vocals. Lastly, Kenny wraps up the series with cool videos on editing, working with plug-ins, advanced zooming and scrolling and much more.

If you use Reaper, this information is key to increasing your speed and creativeness. Spend some time with Kenny and check out these awesome tutorials today!

Product Highlights:

• 24 Tutorials / Almost 5 Hours Total Runtime
• For all intermediate to advanced Cockos Reaper 4 users
• Tutorials written by multi-platinum selling producer Kenny Gioia
• Simple to use video control interface for Mac & PC
• Viewing Options: Online, Download, Disc, iDevice Streaming

Thank you for all the support!!!!!
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
philait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper 4 Tutorials.

Reaper 4 - Tips and Tricks

Thank you for all the support!!!!!
Excellent
I was just watching the last of the BFD videos and this must have popped up while I was on.
Can't wait to watch them Thanks Kenny!
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Argle

Sweet, I love your videos.
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Smurf

Very Cool!

I have to ask tho if you are planing to do a "mix from start to finish" video using only Reaper & it's native effects?

Now THAT would be cool.....
Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
burak

I just ordered I've been waiting for this one
burak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
ramses

Buying as I type! The last one was truly excellent. Looking forward to this!!!
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
kkalnasy

Outstanding, Kenny, as usual! I'm lurching forward with your videos. They're the best value of anything I've bought lately. Incredibly well done. Congratulations.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
JamesG

A very good series and a good followup to the Reaper explained series. The freeze section was worth it for me. I was doing my own manual version sorta like freeze. I'd even read the Reaper manual and didn't see the point of using freeze. Having seen your explanation, it was an 'ah' that's why freeze is there.

I recently posted a video of my version of The Entertainer on YouTube. They gave me a hard time, demanding I prove I had the rights to post it. I had to laugh when you played a bit of The Entertainer.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
A very good series and a good followup to the Reaper explained series. The freeze section was worth it for me. I was doing my own manual version sorta like freeze. I'd even read the Reaper manual and didn't see the point of using freeze. Having seen your explanation, it was an 'ah' that's why freeze is there.
These are the kind of stories that makes it all worthwhile for me.

I can't tell you how often I think that a feature is so self-explanatory that it's silly or pointless to explain it or make a video. But I'm wrong. We all pick up on things differently.

I also had a work-around for freeze tracks but this new feature is so much better.

BTW - I didn't even realize this until after the videos were released (I might add it in at some point) but did you know that you can freeze a buss or a folder as well?

You can make a folder for each instrument set (Drums, Bass, Guitars, Keys, etc) and freeze it to save DSP.

So if the drums sound great and you don't want to task your CPU by playing back 8 - 16 tracks with compressor and EQ plugins, just put it all in a folder (add the reverb as well) and freeze it. Mute all the individual tracks and don't worry about the drums until mix time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I recently posted a video of my version of The Entertainer on YouTube. They gave me a hard time, demanding I prove I had the rights to post it. I had to laugh when you played a bit of The Entertainer.

Thanks
Oh no. That's not the "The Entertainer". It's a random burst of notes that sound similar.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
CaptainHook

Hey Kenny, only part way through the videos so far but thought i would share my thoughts so far anyway.

First, basically each video i've watched so far i've thought "oh, i already know how to use this feature so maybe i should skip". And without fail, you always show me AT LEAST one thing i didn't know about it, or another way of using it!

I've also asked a few times on the forum how to setup an "inspector style" strip so i can click a track and get an enlarged view on that track (and mixer) on the left but never got a response. The screensets videos finally explained that for me and in a way that took me about 2 secs to grasp how and why it was working! A forum post really can't offer the same speed for learning IMHO (assuming you get a response :P ).

The next "slap to head" moment for me, was even just reading the title of the video "Default Presets". I dunno why it's never occurred to me, but i read that title and immediately knew what you were going to cover and have set that up for all the plugs i use!

I've already introduced screensets and default presets into my workflow that i wasn't doing before so thanks!

I've just finished drum editing part 1, so will let you know more when i've finished all the vids.

Also, maybe you show it in the next vid, but i am surprised you haven't shown this method (by AdamW) for editing which i've personally found to be the best compromise in accuracy vs speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnO1XjRh0Y
or more similar to what you show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N47FLgTkZyY

His fill gaps action in the SWS extensions is also great! ( http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/AW_-_Fill_gaps )

Probably my only "gripes" (if you could call them that) is that because i've watched your previous Reaper vids and Pro Tools ones (including Tip and Tricks, mixing etc) some of the videos i found a bit slow cause i knew where you were going to go with it. But i would not have you change this since it would make it harder for 'first' timers or those less experienced. Perhaps an 'advanced' series at some point that assumes the kind of extensive 'Kenny experience' some of us may have?

I also personally love the more "this is what i do in my workflow" rather than "this is what you can do".. simply because the amount of options in Reaper is overwhelming so i find it more valuable to know what you've found to be the most practical. You don't always do this, but i appreciate the times you do.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Hey Kenny, only part way through the videos so far but thought i would share my thoughts so far anyway.

First, basically each video i've watched so far i've thought "oh, i already know how to use this feature so maybe i should skip". And without fail, you always show me AT LEAST one thing i didn't know about it, or another way of using it!

I've also asked a few times on the forum how to setup an "inspector style" strip so i can click a track and get an enlarged view on that track (and mixer) on the left but never got a response. The screensets videos finally explained that for me and in a way that took me about 2 secs to grasp how and why it was working! A forum post really can't offer the same speed for learning IMHO (assuming you get a response :P ).

The next "slap to head" moment for me, was even just reading the title of the video "Default Presets". I dunno why it's never occurred to me, but i read that title and immediately knew what you were going to cover and have set that up for all the plugs i use!

I've already introduced screensets and default presets into my workflow that i wasn't doing before so thanks!

I've just finished drum editing part 1, so will let you know more when i've finished all the vids.

Also, maybe you show it in the next vid, but i am surprised you haven't shown this method (by AdamW) for editing which i've personally found to be the best compromise in accuracy vs speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnO1XjRh0Y
or more similar to what you show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N47FLgTkZyY

His fill gaps action in the SWS extensions is also great! ( http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/AW_-_Fill_gaps )
Thanks for the feedback.

You should really watch Drum Editing Part II and tell me what you think. It was really meant to be one big video but it was too long for online streaming so we broke it up. But the second part is the way to go.

Quote:
Probably my only "gripes" (if you could call them that) is that because i've watched your previous Reaper vids and Pro Tools ones (including Tip and Tricks, mixing etc) some of the videos i found a bit slow cause i knew where you were going to go with it. But i would not have you change this since it would make it harder for 'first' timers or those less experienced. Perhaps an 'advanced' series at some point that assumes the kind of extensive 'Kenny experience' some of us may have?
Yeah. I definitely took into consideration the people who bought my Reaper Explained video and are taking off from there.

I'm hoping guys like you think I went a bit too slow while newbies think I went a bit too fast.

Quote:

I also personally love the more "this is what i do in my workflow" rather than "this is what you can do".. simply because the amount of options in Reaper is overwhelming so i find it more valuable to know what you've found to be the most practical. You don't always do this, but i appreciate the times you do.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 03-29-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
CaptainHook

Quote:
You should really watch Drum Editing Part II and tell me what you think. It was really meant to be one big video but it was too long for online streaming so we broke it up. But the second part is the way to go.
I'll check it out tonight after work. Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
chrisharbin

Stop and delete is a bit dicey. What would be cool is if there was a command to delete those unwanted files after listening to them. The "yikes that take sucked" delete method haha!
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
Stop and delete is a bit dicey. What would be cool is if there was a command to delete those unwanted files after listening to them. The "yikes that take sucked" delete method haha!
The way I like to do it is to "Save Project as…" about once a day and have Reaper create a whole new folder and Copy all the media items to it.

It won't copy the unused media items so you won't be stuck with them forever.

Then you can just delete the old project folder.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 04-08-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
chrisharbin

It's the little things for me. Like the zooming section, I guess there is something about the visual aspect that makes the light go on.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
mikeymartin

Default are these tutorials free?

I checked the link and couldn't access any vids.Am I doing something wrong or what?
Thanks for any help.
mikeymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymartin View Post
I checked the link and couldn't access any vids.Am I doing something wrong or what?
Thanks for any help.
The links appear to be working fine. You need to purchase the video and then it would be listed in your Groove 3 account.

(I'm assuming you're talking about Kenny's Reaper videos)

Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
mikeymartin

ok.....money.......the magic elixer....thanks BK....
mikeymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Seventh

Thank you for the videos. Even though I've been using Reaper for a good while now, there always seems to be more to learn.

I have a question about the drum editing videos in this series:

In the tutorial, you create a dummy track with just the kick and snare, in order to get the split points from both of the tracks.

Couldn't you just do the dynamic split twice; once for just the kick track and a second time for the snare. Is there a downside for this approach?

Thanks.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Thank you for the videos. Even though I've been using Reaper for a good while now, there always seems to be more to learn.

I have a question about the drum editing videos in this series:

In the tutorial, you create a dummy track with just the kick and snare, in order to get the split points from both of the tracks.

Couldn't you just do the dynamic split twice; once for just the kick track and a second time for the snare. Is there a downside for this approach?

Thanks.
Have you tried that approach and had it work?

Once you dynamic split kick, you would now have to dynamic split the snare with it already being split by the kick. Or do you make a copy of the snare just for splitting but don't keep it?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
CaptainHook

Quote:
Once you dynamic split kick, you would now have to dynamic split the snare with it already being split by the kick. Or do you make a copy of the snare just for splitting but don't keep it?
Hey Kenny, that's actually how i do it except i do snare first, then kick. Seems to work just like collection mode for me. Analyze the snare, select all drum tracks (i have the items grouped so i can click one to select all) and split. Double click kick track and analyze, select all drum tracks and split. The existing splits in the kick track doesn't seem to bother it.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #22
Seventh

Quote:
Have you tried that approach and had it work?

Once you dynamic split kick, you would now have to dynamic split the snare with it already being split by the kick.
Yes.

I did one edit session like that yesterday and it seemed to work just fine, although sometimes I had to adjust the threshold for snare and toms, and sometimes I even had to do some snare splits manually, because dynamic split wouldn't catch the transients. I'm not sure if this is because there were already lots of splits present, or just general dynamic split weirdness.

All in all it seems a little faster way of working than making the dummy track though.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Hey Kenny, that's actually how i do it except i do snare first, then kick. Seems to work just like collection mode for me. Analyze the snare, select all drum tracks (i have the items grouped so i can click one to select all) and split. Double click kick track and analyze, select all drum tracks and split. The existing splits in the kick track doesn't seem to bother it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Yes.

I did one edit session like that yesterday and it seemed to work just fine, although sometimes I had to adjust the threshold for snare and toms, and sometimes I even had to do some snare splits manually, because dynamic split wouldn't catch the transients. I'm not sure if this is because there were already lots of splits present, or just general dynamic split weirdness.

All in all it seems a little faster way of working than making the dummy track though.
I'll have to play around with that a bit more.

I didn't realize that dynamic split would ignore all the current splits in analyzing.

The one benefit I see in doing it my way is that you won't get false triggering from leakage as the closer mic will prevail over the leaked signals.

As I've learned over the years, there's simply no one way that works best.

Thanks to you guys, I now have other option.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
CaptainHook

Quote:
The one benefit I see in doing it my way is that you won't get false triggering from leakage as the closer mic will prevail over the leaked signals.
Good point. That could make it worth the extra step you do. I will play with it.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
prognosis77

Default mixing and mastering

I am new with reaper all i have ever used it for is my ez-drummer and then ran a cord out of my computer and in to my tascam neo and used the preset mix settings and preset master settings i did get a great sound but I have heard some music mixed and mastered on reaper that blew my mind. I now have a m-audio c-600 interface and am in the process of writing a song, any tips with mixing and mastering prog-metal would be appreciated. thanks
prognosis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by prognosis77 View Post
I am new with reaper all i have ever used it for is my ez-drummer and then ran a cord out of my computer and in to my tascam neo and used the preset mix settings and preset master settings i did get a great sound but I have heard some music mixed and mastered on reaper that blew my mind. I now have a m-audio c-600 interface and am in the process of writing a song, any tips with mixing and mastering prog-metal would be appreciated. thanks
Start a new topic or resubmit this one in the main forum, Prognosis, and you might well get some help dude.

Welcome to the REAPER forums!

>
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #27
Overdrive

Hey Kenny, I have Reaper Tips & Tricks, and I am having trouble following the Drum Editing Pt. 2 video. For some reason I always get lots of pops in my track. Do you know why this is happening?
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Hey Kenny, I have Reaper Tips & Tricks, and I am having trouble following the Drum Editing Pt. 2 video. For some reason I always get lots of pops in my track. Do you know why this is happening?
Can you zoom in and see the clicks and pops?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #29
Overdrive

Quote:
Can you zoom in and see the clicks and pops?
It only is popping on my bass drum track. It looks like the audio files are overlapping after I quantize them. I have "Trim media content behind media items when editing" turned on, and when I pull a media file back a little and it deletes the underlying track it seems to get rid of the pop. Why is it not trimming automatically?
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #30
cochaisea

Default nice aritle

Good post. Thank you very much.
cochaisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #31
viper-2

Default Automation

Kenny, as you have been told rightfully so, these video tutorials are top notch.

A question I have while watching the Reaper explained series [automation] section. When you cut the envelope point or time selection what keys are used to paste?
viper-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #32
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper-2 View Post
Kenny, as you have been told rightfully so, these video tutorials are top notch.

A question I have while watching the Reaper explained series [automation] section. When you cut the envelope point or time selection what keys are used to paste?
I believe that Command (on mac) or Control (on PC) should Paste anything copied or cut.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #33
BobReg

I just signed up for the Groove3.com streaming and watched the Kenny Gioia videos. Awesome stuff!! I learned so much. Well done Kenny.

Also found many other videos by Kenny and others. The place is a gold mine. Love the theory stuff as well. Education is always a good investment and this is some of the best money I've spent in years.
BobReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
Kenny Gioia

Thanks!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #35
geep

Default recording- video 7

The videos are really useful, thanks! However, I've just watched video 7 about recording, and I'm confused by the whole 'punching' thing.

Did you record a guitar piece and then record more guitar over the top of it? I was expecting you to just play the guitar and record it in Reaper, but then you start talking about 'punching' and time selections and I got completely lost!

I don't understand what you mean by 'punching', could you explain, please! When you pressed record, Reaper appeared to be playing some pre-recorded guitar in the item, then you punched some more guitar into the second section of the item, then Reaper keeps playing, and then afterwards you punched some more guitar into the third section of the item. Although I have described this I don't really know what I have described or what you were trying to achieve with this process. I only started using Reaper a few days ago and haven't used any DAWs before, so nearly everything is confusing me at the moment
geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #36
bluzkat

geep,

Take a deep breath, no need to try an understand everything all at once.

Punch recording is explained in the Reaper User Guide in sections 3.15-3.17. Hopefully this will give you a better understanding.

If you haven't downloaded the User Guide already, you can get it here...

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php.

Hope this helped, at least a little.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #37
geep

Thanks. I read the section about punch recording and I get it now. I've connected my keyboard to my laptop and have been able to do some sort of MIDI thing with it - the notes I record from my keyboard sound electronic, which I guess is the MIDI commands. But I just want to record from my keyboard and for the recording to sound how my keyboard sounds. From what I've read in the guide, this is audio recording rather than MIDI recording. Which section of the guide explains how to do this? When I try to select the recording input on the track, my keyboard shows in the Input:MIDI list but not the Input:Mono list, so perhaps this is the problem?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #38
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep View Post
When I try to select the recording input on the track, my keyboard shows in the Input:MIDI list but not the Input:Mono list, so perhaps this is the problem?
No, it isn't. We're now talking about recording audio, which would therefore require a connection from an audio output on your keyboard to your soundcard/audio interface (nothing to do with your MIDI/USB connection). REAPER has no way of knowing what instrument is plugged into an audio input.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #39
geep

So I can't use the MIDI cable to get audio from my keyboard to my laptop? I think the only other two sockets on my keyboard are Phones and Sustain. I wasn't planning to get an audio interface yet, is that the only way to record audio from my keyboard to my laptop?