Old 10-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
CDS
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10

I looked at several sites on internet but it was all bunch of double talk.

Which version of Windows 10 distribution DVD are complete ready to use. I disconnected my internet since all it was getting used for was to benefit others, so I disconnected the service.

I only use my phone now.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:56 AM   #2
ivansc

sadly, I am pretty sure that win10 pretty much has to be connected if you want to actually use it.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #3
Geoff-h3o

Default Haven't tried it myself but

Instructions below are from this website:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-96770ba70b01

Press Windows key + X then clickRun, then type: slui.exe 4

2. Next press the 'ENTER' key

3. Select your 'Country' from the list.

4. Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6. Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

I don't think it would matter which version.

Last edited by Geoff-h3o; 10-07-2018 at 02:35 AM. Reason: add info
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
ivansc

Geoff: This is SOP for offline activation & has been for years, but not a lot of use if he wants to know which distribution DVD to get. And of course it still wont be much use if he needs to add stuff like interface drivers etc.

CDS: I would recommend that you buy the Pro version of W10 and also 64bit rather than 32bit.

YES you will presumably still be able to do offline authorisation, although the last Win7 system I had to do this with was awkward to say the least - hopefully that was because Win7 had been "retired" some time before.
Good luck & make sure you get the DVD with holographic security sticker and auth code from a reputable source, i.e. NOT off ebay!
Old 10-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
Paul99

I bought a second hand laptop which was refurbished and had installed Windows Pro. I never use it with internet because I use it in my band to play. When I startup, it always complains once it wants internet to update, but I cancel that and it's working perfectly after that.
I would also advice to pick Windows 10 Pro in x64. It's best for the future.
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:30 AM   #6
ivansc

@Paul: How about updating your actual apps?
Can you do all of them via another computer?

Often thought of ring fencing the studio machine that way, since obviously no internet connection means no "updates"!

On the other han, the only MS update issues I have had on W10 Pro 64 bit are silly little niggles, like it deciding to change my default speaker outs & on one occasion logging me into another users account rather than my admin (usual) account when it rebooted after an update.
Now that one did have me scratching my head for a few hours....
Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
Paul99

@Ivan: I admire the saying Never Change A Running System.
You have to consider this is my band laptop. I don't need the last Reaper version, I don't need the last version of any software on it as long as it works. And I definitely don't need M$ to steal my files or block my sound with an update of Win10.
If you however have a recording studio, then it might be a different case because you might need new functionality. In my experience the regular audience is not able to distinguish between for example an organ sound from my Roland FA and the organ sound of my GSI VB3 which is for me the ultimate replacement of a real B3 (sound wise). Hell, even my bandmates didn't notice it when I first came with that much better hammond sound from the VB3 while playing Hush from Kula Shaker. So how could a regular audience?

I used an external USB disk to install the software I needed and I also use an external USB disk to make backups and images.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
ivansc

In my case, the critical updates have always related to my audio MIDI interface, which I wanted to update in order to take advantage of the improved version of RME`s TotalMix which started being included in with the drivers for Win10 use.

Gave me a functionality I still find great to use compared to its predecessor.

Happily, you answered my question regarding updating stuff in a positive manner, so at least I can draw comfort from that if I ever DO decide to take my studio machine offline.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
so at least I can draw comfort from that if I ever DO decide to take my studio machine offline.
Yes, you can! I even still have an offline XP (SP3 pack) laptop in my studio, with an M-Audio F410 sound-card which is hooked up via firewire (!) Just in case.
With my small notebook I don't need a sound-card because my Roland FA has one on board. Very nice because I still only need 2 channels on the PA because the sound of the notebook, containing Reaper with plugins, comes through the output of my FA. It's a great solution. I have a flightcase in which I carry my FA and my small notebook. All in one. Very light, very portable.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
Jason Lyon

On the side...

A propos "never change a running system", I'm completely with that. I've just been through a double dose of W10 update snagged hell, and it ain't fun. Only about 70% recovered from it...

I'd say:

1. Use a multi-drive system - the OS and basics (Niniteable productivity stuff, REAPER, Audacity, etc) can live quite happily on a 128GB drive. For goodness' sake keep your Data folder on another drive. And your sample libraries, and just about everything else.
2. Get things up and running the way you want them.
3. Make a habit of creating a Restore point before you install or update anything.
4. When you're comfortable with everything, clone the OS drive off to an external backup via USB (I use Macrium Reflect - it's cool and it's free). In case you get so borked that Restore doesn't work, which can happen. If things go really wrong you can boot from that.
5. For good measure install yet another drive and set up W10 to check and make data backups to it every so often. I have C:OS and E: Data feeding F:Backup installed internally. 6hr backup, versioning going back 3 months works for me.
6. For extra good measure, clone your Data drive off to an old spinner via USB every now and then.
7. To be super sure, the ultimate backup is to have a spare laptop asleep in a drawer and give it a bit of love from time to time. Of course it'll usually be out of date, but if things really go nuts, you can still work. Plus - you often need a computer to fix a computer... And remember - an extra computer may be expensive, but not being able to work is more expensive.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #11
ivansc

Wot he said!

I have three drives in the studio machine for OS, Data and Samples, plus I do regular backups to an external drive.
If all else fails I also have a 3Tb drive locally that auto-backs up all critical data stuff daily.
Oh and also a 50gb account (free) with Mega which backs up all moy music projects as and when they are changed by me.

Paranoid? Me?

Funny thing is, I put all this lot together after a friend lost ten years worth of work a while back. I have never ever had to actually access any of the backups, so I hope its all working OK!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:36 AM   #12
Jason Lyon

ivan:

It's not paranoia - shit happens. Those messages you get and ignore - "create a backup before doing X". 97% of the time, you can afford to just click on the "meh" button, but then there's that 3%...

Then there's genuine hardware failure and cat-related (or musician-related) drink spill failure.

I have a 512GB C drive for OS and essentials (overkill actually, but I've been a hardware migrator for years), a 1TB D drive for sample libs (and games), a 1TB E drive for data (redirected in W10), a 1TB F drive for auto data backups and virtual machines (my Linux "rooms" that I go and live in from time to time). All those are internal SSDs, but then there's also an external 128GB HDD for the OS drive clone and a 1TB HDD for the data clone.

And an old laptop in a drawer with essentials and data on a single 1TB SSD that I update every six months or so. That old hound has saved my life on several occasions.

I don't trust cloud storage though. And you thought you were paranoid - I could show you some tricks in Kali that would make your toes curl...

Still trying to figure out how to reregister Kontakt libraries that are sitting there on the D drive but unrecognised after my recent W10 effup. Done it before, just can't remember for now. Kontakt may be "it", but that interface is about as intuitive as the large hadron collider...

To give you some idea, even with all this backup strategy, I was up and running again in about an hour, but it's taking me several days to put back the bells and whistles.

To quote Joni: you don't know what you've got til it's gone.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:49 AM   #13
Paul99

@Ivan: you do backups, that's okay. But do you also have an image when things go wrong with Windows? In my experience Windows Restore doesn't always solve the problem. In fact, it seldom does so I shut it off completely. In those cases I have the image as backup.

I always have 3 images:
1. after fresh Windows install
2. install necessary programs to get up and running
3. install the rest
So depending on the problem I restore the 3rd, preferable, or the 2nd or even the 1st.
After a couple of months I create a new image, depending on how much new stuff I installed.
Since my data is on a separate drive which backups automatically everyday to another drive, I don't loose data in case of a Windows problem.

Now, who is paranoid?
Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #14
Jason Lyon

Paul - yeah I know what you mean about Restore points, but they don't cost much in storage space and can be the simplest solution for a first try.

Now happily Kontakted again here, but I'll wait for a few days of real-life testing before committing to a new clone off.

Incidentally people - W10 auto backup does actually work very well. Just be sure to include the stuff on your OS drive as well as your data drive. A lot of programs store all kinds of data in (usually) hidden User folders.

I'd also add that REAPER is the kind of thing that attracts tinkerers. Try this, install that, update the other to a dodgy beta... I don't mean REAPER itself, it's just that we tend to be people who like to muck around a bit.

If you've got that kind of adventurous ambitious spirit, you can't afford to be sloppy with backups.

Oh, and another tip - what takes the most time in a totally cold recovery is downloading all the installers. Keep them in a special folder somewhere (also with a text file listing your serial numbers and all that jazz). Even if the installers are out of date, you can usually get them running and then let them update themselves with very little time wasted.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #15
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
Oh, and another tip - what takes the most time in a totally cold recovery is downloading all the installers. Keep them in a special folder somewhere (also with a text file listing your serial numbers and all that jazz). Even if the installers are out of date, you can usually get them running and then let them update themselves with very little time wasted.
What would you expect from a paranoid guy? I have all my installed programs and licenses on one internal disk, so permanently available, as well on multiple external USB drives just in case.
I am always amazed by people that don't keep their installers nor licenses. Consider only the posts in which a desperate member doesn't know where his Reaper license is.....
Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #16
Jason Lyon

Paul - Ha!
First thing I do when a download is completed is copy it somewhere else. Before I even install the software.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #17
Paul99

Quote:
Paul - Ha!
First thing I do when a download is completed is copy it somewhere else. Before I even install the software.
Me too! But I bet I go even a step further: after the program is installed, you usually get a popup window: "start program now". I never do that. I always start the program myself just to be sure that everything went well. Can you beat that Jason?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
Jason Lyon

Well if you said you only install things in a VM to test them I'd be seriously impressed... and a bit disturbed for your sanity.
Anyway - I don't think mitigating risk is paranoia. It's common sense, I reckon.

So... I'm sitting here waiting for Kontakt to rebatch my samples and then I'm pretty much back to normal.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
Paul99

Quote:
Well if you said you only install things in a VM to test them I'd be seriously impressed... and a bit disturbed for your sanity.
Nope, I don't. A couple of years ago however I did for some time but it got not doable anymore. So now I only use trusted programs like Reaper or I don't update because I don't new functionality or don't have problems and if I really want to try out a new program, there is still my old WinXP laptop......
I think if and only if you own a professional studio, you have to go with the new stuff. Customers might want to have the new goodies. But as an amateur like myself, the stuff I have and use is already good enough for my purposes.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #20
Jason Lyon

Well, as the saying goes "if it ain't broke..."
I still use Sib 6.2 and some really ancient sample libs and FX plugins. They work.

Wees voorsichtig
Old 10-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #21
Paul99

I use programs that are more than 5 years old, sometimes even more than 10 years. I still got Office 10. Why should I upgrade? I only use Word and Excel and even from those two I only use maybe about 5% of all features.
I'll tell you a secret: I still use NI B4.....I think it's better than the NI sample library. But please don't tell others because it seems to be very stupid to think old programs might be better than new ones....
Old 10-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
Jason Lyon

Well if you have MS Office already, why not. But I've worked in many offices where the standard installation is now Open Office or Libre. Every bit as good and the file format translation is pretty much flawless.

Newspaper and magazine publishers tend to be all Adobe at the front end these days, although I've seen GIMP used here and there. You don't need the collaborative networking facility so much with image work.

I've written three books and run countless complex spreadsheets in OO. Macro handling can a bit fiddly though.

I'm not militantly anti-MS - I'm practical. If it does what I want it to do I'm fine.

But you have a point. If you run a studio, people want to see the latest and shiniest. They listen with their eyes and their wallets...

Oh, and dirty secrets... my go-to standard multi algo reverb is still Luxonix LFX 1310. It's almost like my favourite old coat. Sometimes I need something fancier, but that gets the job done a lot of the time and not even the ear snobs can tell that it's an old freebie.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #23
Paul99

I remember when that Luxonix LFX 1310 came out: it was unbelievable small and versatile. It was a multi-FX! In no more than 1 Mb! I never did a test for myself. I did so much research for a good reverb, I tried several IR's. I finally ended up with a 3-way reverb with Reaverb: a short, plate and hall. I mix these 3 reverb into my music tracks. It turns out it's way easier to get a decent reverb. That is if and only of you want a musical reverb and not reverb as an effect. Just to give your music space in a mix.
And now getting older, my hearing gets worse so why bother about new stuff? In a couple of years I cannot distinguish an 128 kB mp3 song from a new discovered sound format.....
Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #24
Jason Lyon

Well, they reckon that on average you've lost most of your upper range hearing by the age of 30 or so.

So I suppose you and I are both swimming in the mud. What we do have going for us is that hopefully we're stronger swimmers than we were.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #25
grinder

website,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...26838c693c5c92

If you have Windows 7 here is the free update to ten

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:05 AM   #26
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
If you have Windows 7 here is the free update to ten
Grinder
Thanks for the tip. Until now I want to use Win7 for my daily work as long as possible because I hate it when m$ decides what is good for me and what is not. I only use Win10 on my notebook because it was already on it when I bought it. And since it is not hooked up to internet, I don't have a lot of problems with it because I don't update.
For example: Until Windows 7 it was rather easy to change your standard program for a certain extension. In Windows 10 they have managed to put it away in settings where the average Joe will not come because it is way too difficult. And so again another PC user is forced to keep using the mediocre m$ stuff. But I realize the time I will be able to use my Win7 safely (with security patches) is limited and the end comes closer everyday.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #27
ivansc

Quote:
ivan:

It's not paranoia - shit happens. Those messages you get and ignore - "create a backup before doing X". 97% of the time, you can afford to just click on the "meh" button, but then there's that 3%...

Then there's genuine hardware failure and cat-related (or musician-related) drink spill failure.

I have a 512GB C drive for OS and essentials (overkill actually, but I've been a hardware migrator for years), a 1TB D drive for sample libs (and games), a 1TB E drive for data (redirected in W10), a 1TB F drive for auto data backups and virtual machines (my Linux "rooms" that I go and live in from time to time). All those are internal SSDs, but then there's also an external 128GB HDD for the OS drive clone and a 1TB HDD for the data clone.

And an old laptop in a drawer with essentials and data on a single 1TB SSD that I update every six months or so. That old hound has saved my life on several occasions.

I don't trust cloud storage though. And you thought you were paranoid - I could show you some tricks in Kali that would make your toes curl...

Still trying to figure out how to reregister Kontakt libraries that are sitting there on the D drive but unrecognised after my recent W10 effup. Done it before, just can't remember for now. Kontakt may be "it", but that interface is about as intuitive as the large hadron collider...

To give you some idea, even with all this backup strategy, I was up and running again in about an hour, but it's taking me several days to put back the bells and whistles.

To quote Joni: you don't know what you've got til it's gone.
Two things: Kontakt allows you to move ligbrary locations no problem, plus of course if you are using Native Access it will generally find and fix any oopsies you may have.
Secondly, Since that laptop is only remote from your actual system, you might want to think about having another backup option in another house/location? A pal of mine nailed it: Data only exists if there are several copies of it in different machines AND different physical locations.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:12 AM   #28
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
@Ivan: you do backups, that's okay. But do you also have an image when things go wrong with Windows? In my experience Windows Restore doesn't always solve the problem. In fact, it seldom does so I shut it off completely. In those cases I have the image as backup.

I always have 3 images:
1. after fresh Windows install
2. install necessary programs to get up and running
3. install the rest
So depending on the problem I restore the 3rd, preferable, or the 2nd or even the 1st.
After a couple of months I create a new image, depending on how much new stuff I installed.
Since my data is on a separate drive which backups automatically everyday to another drive, I don't loose data in case of a Windows problem.

Now, who is paranoid?
Both of us! I even have a mirror of my original Win10 datum! Once you have it all running, none o fthis takes much time to maintain, does it? Certainly not compared to having to start from scratch AND lose a bunch of irreplaceable data.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 AM   #29
ivansc

Quote:
I'll tell you a secret: I still use NI B4.....I think it's better than the NI sample library. But please don't tell others because it seems to be very stupid to think old programs might be better than new ones....
Me too! ED is regularly ragging me over this.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 AM   #30
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Me too! ED is regularly ragging me over this.
Haha! I do respect and trust Ed in many many ways. On the subject of the sound of virtual organs however I trust my ears only....
Old 10-17-2018, 05:15 AM   #31
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Until now I want to use Win7 for my daily work as long as possible because I hate it when m$ decides what is good for me and what is not. I only use Win10 on my notebook because it was already on it when I bought it. And since it is not hooked up to internet, I don't have a lot of problems with it because I don't update.
For example: Until Windows 7 it was rather easy to change your standard program for a certain extension. In Windows 10 they have managed to put it away in settings where the average Joe will not come because it is way too difficult. And so again another PC user is forced to keep using the mediocre m$ stuff. But I realize the time I will be able to use my Win7 safely (with security patches) is limited and the end comes closer everyday.
I think W10 is okay for now - despite the annoying background shenanigens. There are plenty of tutorials on how to decrap it, it just takes a bit of effort.

If you have decent third-party AV and Firewall software, security shouldn't be too horrible. I'd recommend using a VPN as well. (I'm currently pretending to be Belgian...)

In my opinion, the day of the penguin is coming - but it's not here yet. Which is one of the reasons why I maintain a couple of distros in VMs and am keeping an eye on Linux developments. It can be a bit fiddly but you can set up a share to your Windows Data folder in a VM and just go and work in that environment for a while to test things out.

Linux snobs will scoff at me, but I take the view that there's no need to jump across when you can step across.

Who knows? Perhaps the competition will force MS to up its game. Competition being healthy and all that.

Sadly, the penguin isn't yet properly and fully REAPERable though.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #32
JamesPeters

Quote:
Sadly, the penguin isn't yet properly and fully REAPERable though.
Come on over to the Linux for Reaper forum and we can discuss how false that is.

If what you mean is that all the instruments and other add-ons that are available in Windows are not currently available in Linux, I agree. However Reaper itself works great in Linux. Plus scripts etc.

I'd go so far as to say: having Reaper native to Linux working so well, might be what finally spurs some more developers to make plugins for Linux.

There are also plenty of plugins that are available as Linux VST, or Js... at least enough that you should be able to get the job done with a high level of quality.

There are also enough people using various Windows only plugins in Reaper for Linux by using wine or some derivative. You might be surprised what you can get away with.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-17-2018 at 06:10 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #33
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Come on over to the Linux for Reaper forum and we can discuss how false that is.

If what you mean is that all the instruments and other add-ons that are available in Windows are not currently available in Linux, I agree. However Reaper itself works great in Linux. Plus scripts etc.

I'd go so far as to say: having Reaper native to Linux working so well, might be what finally spurs some more developers to make plugins for Linux.

There are also plenty of plugins that are available as Linux VST, or Js... at least enough that you should be able to get the job done with a high level of quality.

There are also enough people using various Windows only plugins in Reaper for Linux by using wine or some derivative. You might be surprised what you can get away with.
James, I understand. And I do lurk around that forum. But you rather undo your own argument - having a limited array of plugins or needing to run things through a comp layer does rather make my point. But as you say, maybe that will change.

As I said upthread, I do think Linux will be the standard sometime. I've been hugging the penguin for 20 years - from the days when it was a roll of the dice whether you could even get a GUI up and running. I was even young and stupid enough to do some research to try writing my own video driver at one stage. Then later on, things were much better, but good luck with wifi...

Things are a lot better now, but it's just not cooked yet. Honestly, I've tried it on a spare machine "at the metal". At the end of the day, I'm pragmatic not ideological. I need to be able to use what works best.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #34
JamesPeters

My argument is 100% solid.

It's just that I don't like statements such as "(Linux) isn't yet properly and fully REAPERable", at least stated out of context on a forum. If you'd said it to me in person, I'd probably be able to infer what you meant, for your own workflow (since I have some experience in various OSes with various DAWs). However, saying that statement in public without explaining yourself might deter people from trying Reaper in Linux; there are enough people "scared of the penguin" from how things were 10 years ago.

It depends on what tools you want/need. I need nothing more than what is already available in Linux natively. The tool set I have in LinuxVST plus JS (and scripts) is very flexible and powerful.

So what's "proper" and what's "full"? Say for instance you want Kontakt to be native to Linux. Similarly I could say that Reaper isn't "proper" or "full" because it doesn't do ProTools-style Playlists, and so on. It's not a good statement to make without qualifying it.

The more clear we are about this, the more (through public awareness) we can put pressure on developers to supply their software for Linux. It should be made crystal clear that it isn't Reaper's fault. Reaper is ready, working great in Linux. (It charged straight into Linux yelling "Leroy Jenkins!", in my opinion lol.) Time for plugin developers to step up and compile their plugins in Linux VST (while they're already compiling to Mac and Windows VST).
Old 10-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #35
Glennbo

Since going 100% Linux with REAPER I have re-discovered that plugins do not make the music. I do, and I could use nothing but the plugins that come with REAPER and still produce pretty identical sounding music to what I can do with Windows and all my favorite plugins there.

Plugins are just a crutch!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #36
Jason Lyon

James:
Okay, so Linux REAPER is perfect for your use case. It isn't for mine.
Yet. I'll be as happy as anyone else come the day it is. Just for now though I can't afford to "be surprised with what you can get away with". I use a lot of software that Linux just can't deal with well or at all. Yet.
Can we please shake flippers on this and waddle off as friends now?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #37
JamesPeters

Quote:
James:
Okay, so Linux REAPER is perfect for your use case. It isn't for mine.
Yet. I'll be as happy as anyone else come the day it is. Just for now though I can't afford to "be surprised with what you can get away with". I use a lot of software that Linux just can't deal with well or at all. Yet.
Can we please shake flippers on this and waddle off as friends now?
I'm sure Linux won't work out for lots of people yet, not just you. No argument there! The fact that Melodyne and Kontakt aren't available natively in Linux will have a big impact on that, never mind things like Superior Drummer etc. (even though for that kind of thing there are alternatives).
Old 10-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #38
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I'm sure Linux won't work out for lots of people yet, not just you. No argument there! The fact that Melodyne and Kontakt aren't available natively in Linux will have a big impact on that, never mind things like Superior Drummer etc. (even though for that kind of thing there are alternatives).
Hey, I'm cool as a penguin here.

I've used REAPER lashed up to Sibelius, BIAB, Izotope, Melodyne and other things and I have Kontakt and other proprietary engine-driven orchestral templates that eat about 20GB RAM fully purged. You see what I mean? I just haven't been able to get that kind of stuff going in Linux. Yet.

So much for VSTis and linkages, as to VSTs I'm very much like Glennbo. REAPER has very good native plugins and I don't care about the latest WazzuppifierTM. I agree with the observation he (I presume) made - basically, it's the noise not the toys, the ear not the gear.

But I do stand by what I said. For the kind of work I do, Linux REAPER isn't ready yet.

Last edited by Jason Lyon; 10-17-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #39
JamesPeters

Again, to be clear: what anyone wants to use or considers necessary for his/her workflow, I'm not going to argue. If anything I just want that to be made more clear so that Linux can become more viable as a "DAW OS" to more people.

The age-old question of "which was first: the chicken or the egg?" has been answered:

Now it's time for the "egg" (plugins) to follow. The more people know about this, the sooner the plugin developers will have to seriously consider doing Linux VST versions. As far as I can tell, that's the only thing stopping Reaper in Linux from working well for you.

And if you're going to "die on that hill" of saying "Linux REAPER isn't ready yet", I'd expect you to be explaining why REAPER isn't doing its job in Linux (not that you actually meant Kontakt isn't available in Linux etc.)

So just consider the message that kind of language sends, and what it means to the progress of plugins being made for Linux.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-17-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:
it's the noise not the toys, the ear not the gear.
You got it Jason!

That said, if I do need them, I have Kontakt, EZ-Drummer, FM7, B4 organ, and other Windows plugins working fine in Linux running in WINE and the latency playing them real time is pretty equal to playing them in Windows. It is however tricky getting that stuff to function in Linux.

I'll be one of the folks who yells at plugin makers to support Linux!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote