Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
antknee75
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper can't load plug ins after computer swap, windows upgrade

My usual computer died, and it was a windows 7 machine, so I got a new one with Windows 10. After reinstalling Reaper and my plugins, when I open one of my old projects, it can't load some plug ins. (Specifically, it won't load CLA Drums, Schepps Omni Channel, or Fortin Nameless Suite.) I can add these plugins to the track, but it won't load them using the previous configurations. I have tried clearing the cache and rescanning, but it won't load them the way they were.
antknee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
poetnprophet

it's possible that the version of the plugins on the new machine is different, in which case reaper probably thinks they are NEW plugins, which is why they will not load as saved but will load new.
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
antknee75

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
it's possible that the version of the plugins on the new machine is different, in which case reaper probably thinks they are NEW plugins, which is why they will not load as saved but will load new.
I thought the same thing. The do have the same name, though. I have seen earlier threads where renaming plugins was a similar problem.

Also king of strange, is that the CLA Drums and Schepps plugins are both by Waves. My other Waves plugins load using the previous configurations with no problem.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
lunker

Just to add/clarify, make sure that you installed the same version (32-bit or 64-bit; VST2 or VST3) on the new computer that was on the old computer.

This same thing happened to me when I got a new PC, and I decided not to install 32-bit plugins if the plugin also had a 64-bit version. I had to go back and install 32-bit versions of some plugins to solve the same problem you are having.

In my case, I used the filter (on the VST preferences page) to hide the obsolete 32-bit plugins from the FX browser, so that I don't accidentally add them to new projects. But they are still installed on the PC and in the VST search path, so that old projects find them and load OK.

Slowly (as time permits, and need requires), I may update those projects to use the 64-bit versions of those plugins (by loading the 64-bit version into the project, and setting the knobs/faders/etc. to match the settings that were used in the 32-bit version). However, I only do this when I really need to (like if I'm going to share the project with someone who only has the 64-bit plugin).

Last edited by lunker; 01-14-2020 at 12:40 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
antknee75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Just to add/clarify, make sure that you installed the same version (32-bit or 64-bit; VST2 or VST3) on the new computer that was on the old computer.

This same thing happened to me when I got a new PC, and I decided not to install 32-bit plugins if the plugin also had a 64-bit version. I had to go back and install 32-bit versions of some plugins to solve the same problem you are having.

In my case, I used the filter to hide the obsolete 32-bit plugins from the FX browser, so that I don't accidentally add them to new projects. But they are still installed on the PC and in the VST search path, so that old projects find them and load OK.
Well, I installed the plugins from Waves Central, which doesn't give me any install options to choose which version I install. I assume it autodetected my version of windows and installed a 64 bit version, since it buried the .dll file here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V11\CLA Drums.bundle\Contents\Win64\

My previous computer was also 64 bit, so I guess if it installed the same way before, it would be the same version. I'm not sure, though.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
lunker

Ahh ... Waves ...

I don't have those, but I've seen plenty of posts on here about problems with them disappearing and not installing as expected.

Sorry I can't help more ...
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
antknee75

SOLVED:

Contacted Waves support and told them Reaper is looking for my old 32 bit VST's. They walked me through the process of uninstalling Version 11.0, which is 64 bit only, and installed version 10.0, which is both 32 and 64 bit plug ins. After a check of file paths and rescan, Reaper is loading plug ins properly from the previous configuation.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by antknee75 View Post
SOLVED:

Contacted Waves support and told them Reaper is looking for my old 32 bit VST's. They walked me through the process of uninstalling Version 11.0, which is 64 bit only, and installed version 10.0, which is both 32 and 64 bit plug ins. After a check of file paths and rescan, Reaper is loading plug ins properly from the previous configuration.
I`ll be darned! I just checked & in my Waves 11 all my plugs are showing up except the 32bit oldies, but all of the ones that are compatible with version 10 and earlier are showing up just fine. 64bit only. Funny, as I had been seriously considering removing the old x86 versions by hand but wasn`t prepared to deal with any unexpected consequences - now Waves have done it for me!

The new Waves Central gui is a struggle for me to adapt to, particularly since all my old plugins are only showing up in the full listing in WC. Amazed how many of mine go back to version 9.2!