Old 04-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #161
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

I'll make a video, sec...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/booqf9kwym...icker.gif?dl=0

Okay, I think I know what the issue is. It's the time selection, that causes this.
I have it on left drag. When unassigning it in the mouse modifiers, it works without flickering.

Last edited by _Stevie_; 04-29-2019 at 11:24 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #162
nappies

BTW, make function for item edges.Now we can increase/decrease items, edit fades and make AS at same time))

nappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #163
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
I don't get it?

what do not simply set mouse modifier to marquee select item and time?
Reno, your comments are killing me man...take a look at this comparison that I made, and try to tell me how on earth we don't need Area Selections?? This is just a simple example -- there are SO MANY other issues with the current workflow of time-selection.

The example I keep making --- Reaper is basically Excel (on a grid) but you can only highlight one axis at a time. Think of how crazy that is.

ABLETON:

Result: Exact duplication of selection

REAPER:

Result:
1. Track-2 volume automation chopped at edge of item. Bye-bye reverb/delay tail.
2. Track-3 volume automation broken up into pieces. Bye-bye reverb/delay tail.
3. Track-4 automation not even copied because there are no items.

...now throw Automation Items into this mess.

This is just the tiniest example of just how flawed the current duplication is in Reaper Again, Reaper destroys Ableton in a million other ways, but this is Such core functionality that is going to drive the new crop away immediately.

I just want Reaper to be the best it can be!!! This would get it 99% of the way there.

Last edited by ferropop; 05-01-2019 at 09:58 AM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #164
ferropop

Ultimately the issue is that Reaper is operating on ITEMS rather than on AREA SELECTION. When you copy/paste an item, if automation moves along with it's only because "Envelope Points Move With Media Items" is enabled. This is a very unreliable way to do things, because sometimes automation extends past items and so that automation is not captured properly. It also creates weird edge-points. It also breaks apart Automation Items if you copy part-way into one, creating an Interpolated Automation Item instead of a spline curve. We also can't currently copy automation lanes with no media items. It also visually is a terrible workflow to move your eyes AWAY from the media items, up to the Time Selection area, then go back down to the items, make sure they are highlighted completely, calculate (by eye) the new location you'd like to paste to (very confusing because there's no visual indicators in empty media lanes), then paste and cross your fingers and hope for the best. I've been using reaper since 2008, and every time I have to do a large copy/paste I literally develop an ulcer.

You see the gigantic paragraph I wrote above? Completely solved by just drawing a square around stuff, as in every other DAW since 1993.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #165
ferropop

So again THANK YOU for developing this script, as it corrects the biggest flaw in Reaper. And more importantly, I hope the devs decide to hard-code this functionality. My biggest fear is that with this script now existing, that it will never be actually folded into the proper code, and remain a script with the potential of breaking after every Reaper update. This is a CORE feature that needs to be in the DAW.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #166
Eliseat

Reno.thestraws, what is your agenda? I just don't get why you are complaining about other peoples scripts. I mean, if I wouldn't like a script I just would leave the thread alone to go on making my own things. Very strange.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #167
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
So again THANK YOU for developing this script, as it corrects the biggest flaw in Reaper. And more importantly, I hope the devs decide to hard-code this functionality. My biggest fear is that with this script now existing, that it will never be actually folded into the proper code, and remain a script with the potential of breaking after every Reaper update. This is a CORE feature that needs to be in the DAW.
I really appreciate the hard work the Scripters are doing on the Area 51 Script.
However, i have to totally agree with ferropop and i am dreaming to see proper Area Selection functionality natively implemented in Reaper version 6.

Besides Reaper, i am working in Cubase, Ableton Live and Studio One also.
These DAW's all have proper Area Selection functionality, it's such a breeze to work with that great functionality in those DAWs.
I mean, really, it's so much asked for by many Reaper users, for such a long time now.
Cockos should really implement it in V6, or at least making a statement that they are working on it.

I totally don't care about other new nifty new things in V6 ; i just want proper Area Selection. The lack of it is such a real showstopper for me for too long now.
(And i am sure i am not the only one).

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #168
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I really appreciate the hard work the Scripters are doing on the Area 51 Script.
However, i have to totally agree with ferropop and i am dreaming to see proper Area Selection functionality natively implemented in Reaper version 6.

Besides Reaper, i am working in Cubase, Ableton Live and Studio One also.
These DAW's all have proper Area Selection functionality, it's such a breeze to work with that great functionality in those DAWs.
I mean, really, it's so much asked for by many Reaper users, for such a long time now.
Cockos should really implement it in V6, or at least making a statement that they are working on it.

I totally don't care about other new nifty new things in V6 ; i just want proper Area Selection. The lack of it is such a real showstopper for me for too long now.
(And i am sure i am not the only one).

Just my 2 cents.
vanhaze, we are (and always have been) on the same page with this. If a (albeit incredible) scripter can create Area Selection in what looks like not even that much code, surely the devs can do it natively.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 AM   #169
juliansader

Quote:
When you copy/paste an item, if automation moves along with it's only because "Envelope Points Move With Media Items" is enabled. This is a very unreliable way to do things, because sometimes automation extends past items and so that automation is not captured properly.
This used to be true for old-school non-AI automation, but was fixed a few versions ago. All automation within the time selection should move along with the MIs.

Quote:
It also breaks apart Automation Items if you copy part-way into one, creating an Interpolated Automation Item instead of a spline curve.
If you are referring to smooth curves being replaced by lots of small linear segments, this behavior was also changed a while ago, and AIs do not interpolate any more.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #170
puddi

Quote:
vanhaze, we are (and always have been) on the same page with this. If a (albeit incredible) scripter can create Area Selection in what looks like not even that much code, surely the devs can do it natively.
It blows my mind how this isn't a native feature yet. Selecting an area and everything inside the selection gets selected seems like the most basic thing ever that should be in every DAW.

It always annoys me when I have some automation on a folder track and those envelopes don't get selected. I usually end up making a region out of the selection and copy the whole region, which is a pretty stupid solution to a seemingly easy problem.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #171
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post
It blows my mind how this isn't a native feature yet. Selecting an area and everything inside the selection gets selected seems like the most basic thing ever that should be in every DAW.

It always annoys me when I have some automation on a folder track and those envelopes don't get selected. I usually end up making a region out of the selection and copy the whole region, which is a pretty stupid solution to a seemingly easy problem.
Absolutely agree.

Allow me to oversimplify and be cheeky for a moment - but at the same time illustrate just how obvious Area Selection should work, and how crazy it is that it doesn't...

Would ANYONE on earth argue that in Excel you should have to select a Horizontal range (why!?), then go in and make sure to select the right vertical components and hope you didn't miss any, and oops it doesn't properly copy parts of it because of quirk xyz, and oops there's no visual cursor indicator of where you're pasting to so you hope you've clicked in the right spot on a 4K monitor?

Nope, you draw a box around things, cause you're on a grid. And the things inside the box are the things you want - because it's a box, on a grid.

Last edited by ferropop; 05-02-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #172
Sexan

They see me copyyyy'
n' pastingggg'
Patrolling and tryin' to catch me scripting' dirtyyyyyyy

Soon ™
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #173
Delucci

That's amazing, Sexan
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #174
ferropop

Outstanding.

If there was a blinking "cursor" at the "last clicked" location (ala ProTools and every other DAW) so you could see exactly where you are pasting, this would be perfection.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:53 AM   #175
Sexan

I have some "other" plans in mind with copy pasting...

Little update:
Copy,Paste,Duplicate,Cut,Split,Delete is implemented

Fine tuning envelopes and AI-s and other stuff, so new release will be posted soon

Last edited by Sexan; 05-03-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #176
reapero

Yummy!
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:04 AM   #177
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post

I have some "other" plans in mind with copy pasting
Wow! This feature can be valuable as a separate script. I sometimes lack the "Aim Assist" when cutting samples by the mouse cursor.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #178
deeb

Looks awesome ! Yay !
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #179
puddi

That looks pretty damn good! Can't wait to try it out!
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #180
ferropop

OMG man who are you lol.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #181
Sexan

One question... really not sure is there ANYONE doing this but anyway:

Should I allow cross pasting envelopes (Volume to Pan,Width etc)? Values are not even similar but Reaper allows this anyway...

Seems like it could do more harm than good... Want to make it strict so only Volume can go on Volume etc.... but want to see if anybody is doing this

Quote:
OMG man who are you lol.
They call me Schwa whisperer
Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #182
ferropop

Quote:

Should I allow cross pasting envelopes (Volume to Pan,Width etc)? Values are not even similar but Reaper allows this anyway...

Seems like it could do more harm than good... Want to make it strict so only Volume can go on Volume etc.... but want to see if anybody is doing this

It seems like a bad idea, because you can get curved automation in mute lanes for example but seems like the Reaper philosophy is to let you do what you want and how you want!

Also......
Will automation move along with pieces of items or do you need to select the items along with their automation lane? ? If so, will edgepoints be preserved? These little quirks seem so simple but they make all the difference. To me it seems to make sense that if you only select the item that it only copies the item — and if you want to also bring the automation points with it you also select into the automation lanes.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #183
Sexan

Quote:
Also......
Will automation move along with pieces of items or do you need to select the items along with their automation lane? ? If so, will edgepoints be preserved? These little quirks seem so simple but they make all the difference. To me it seems to make sense that if you only select the item that it only copies the item — and if you want to also bring the automation points with it you also select into the automation lanes.
it works the way you described, only items, only automation or both if selected

Last edited by Sexan; 05-03-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:44 AM   #184
deeb

Quote:

The more flexible the better! altho maybe very complex to deal, The pasting cursor could be red or whatever while it does not find the criteria! (track and envelope lane order and their type to type all matching). This imo would be the best.
If you decide to make it without crossing .. consider this limitation only when pasting 2 or more "grid" lines.

Last edited by deeb; 05-04-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #185
nofish

Quote:

For VST envelopes at least it makes sense imo as all envelopes are in the 0-1 range (how a VST maps these values internally can be different though, but so we could reuse envelopes across VST's if wanted.)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #186
Sexan

This is not a issue of single copy but multiple:
You selected multiple envelopes and want to paste them on other track/s.
Should it:
1. Paste those envelopes to their corresponding envelopes (Volume - Volume, X-X, Y-Y)?
2. Paste to whatever current visible envelopes are?
3. If there is no active envelopes on the destination track make them and paste them?

I need to make some kind of restriction because if for example you make AS over track and envelope:
1. if you paste it on same track no problem
2. if you paste it on other track that has same envelope no problem
3. if the track has different envelope its a problem

Case 3. how to deal with different envelopes?

I need brainstorming here
1. if track and envelopes are selected how to deal with paste on different tracks
2. if only envelopes are selected how to deal with paste on different track envelopes
(graphical examples would be even better if possible)

Last edited by Sexan; 05-04-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #187
deeb

Quote:
This is not a issue of single copy but multiple:
You selected multiple envelopes and want to paste them on other track/s.
Should it:
1. Paste those envelopes to their corresponding envelopes (Volume - Volume, X-X, Y-Y)?
2. Paste to whatever current visible envelopes are?
3. If there is no active envelopes on the destination track make them and paste them?

I need to make some kind of restriction because if for example you make AS over track and envelope:
1. if you paste it on same track no problem
2. if you paste it on other track that has same envelope no problem
3. if the track has different envelope its a problem
IMO 2 - Paste to whatever current visible envelopes are, but don't allow (restrict) if not fallow the same criteria (track + envelope type to type and order ) (what i told earlier .. red cursor or whatever when criteria not match)

Quote:
Case 3. how to deal with different envelopes?

I need brainstorming here
1. if track and envelopes are selected how to deal with paste on different tracks
2. if only envelopes are selected how to deal with paste on different track envelopes
(graphical examples would be even better if possible)
same way , .. just allow if criteria is matched
Old 05-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #188
deeb

here is a gif!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:59 AM   #189
todd_r

How do you actually run the script? I tried running form actions and got the error...

Area_51_Core.lua:303: attempt to index a nil value (local 'state')
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:02 AM   #190
todd_r

Oh, you add it to a mouse modifier?
Old 05-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #191
Sexan

you just run it, not sure whats that error since core script was not updated yet, it should work out od the box. But anyway functional update comming pretty soon (copy,paste,del,cut....)

Last edited by Sexan; 05-05-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:37 AM   #192
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
How do you actually run the script? I tried running form actions and got the error...

Area_51_Core.lua:303: attempt to index a nil value (local 'state')
You're missing the dependencies, that's the error I initially got too.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 AM   #193
Sexan

yeah, I've just tested it, it works so you are missing JS_API
Old 05-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #194
todd_r

Oh, ok thanks. I have REAPER v5.976, SWS and latest Reapack, how do I get the latest JS_API
Old 05-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #195
cfillion

Synchronize ReaPack then find js_ReaScriptAPI in the package browser and install it:

Restart REAPER once it's installed.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #196
todd_r

Thanks, but it was already installed. Tried re-installing, but still the same :/
Old 05-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #197
Sexan

platform? win osx linux?
Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #198
todd_r

Win 10 Home, version 1809

SWS 2.10.0

js_ReaScriptAPI 0.986
Old 05-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #199
Sexan

the error shows :

Code:
local OK, state = reaper.JS_VKeys_GetState()
if state:byte(vk[i].code) ~= 0 then  -- line 303
Can you open the script in edit mode and see if that line is red?

Its calling JS_API, and its not returning anything in your case which means its not calling reaper.JS_VKeys_GetState
Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #200
todd_r

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (9.7 KB, 573 views)