Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 03-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
damstraversaz
Human being with feelings

Default Using Ambisonic toolkit with ReaJS vst

Hi,
first sorry for my poor english,
I'm really happy to read all the threads about ambisonic. I'm a beginner for all these things and learn a lot here.

I have a noob question about ATFK and ReaJS vst version (x64).I'm using Reaper as a DAW for testing and would like to use a modular DAW with the plugins for the final project. Unfortunatly, ReaJS vst seems to be reconize by others softwares with only 2in/2out (I triyng it with Brainmodular Usine and MInihost modular).

Maybe it just my setup, but is there a way to change this ? it seems that theses ambisonic tools could just work directly in Reaper

thanks a lot for reading my awful english !
Damien
damstraversaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Kewl

Hey Damien,

Plutôt que d'utiliser ATK, qui est limité au 1e ordre et utilise l'ancien ordonnancement des canaux (Furse-Malham ou FuMa), je te suggère les plug-ins IEM. Il y a aussi les plug-ins Aalto SPARTA et COMPASS, les plug-ins AmbiX de Matthias Kronlachner et finalement le kit "Core" de Blue Ripple Sound. Ces plug-ins sont certainement plus "modernes" que le ATK.

À moins qu'il y ai une raison particulière pour utiliser le Ambisonic Toolkit?

Hopefully, my post in French won't irritate other members, but nothing I wrote here is new to anyone who's been lurking around these parts...

Damien, I suggest you read this book Ambisonics: A Practical 3D Audio Theory for Recording, Studio Production, Sound Reinforcement, and Virtual Reality.
Kewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
damstraversaz

thanks a lot for the complete answer, the book seems very interesting
I'm using these vst and I'm agree with all you advices. There is indeed a reason for me to use the ATK in this project with my students (music school): it seems to be the only free 5.0 to ambisonic encoder tool.
Blue Ripple Sound have a great O3A Upmixers library but it very expensive at least for this project: We have some nice 5.0 old recordings from previous students. I would like to use and convert this recordings to ambisonic for using it with the creations of the actuals students (ambisonic 3rd order )

thanks again for the detailed answer!
Damien
Old 03-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
Kewl

Okay then, just try using IEM MultiEncoder to encode the 5.0 sources into 3rd order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multiencoder.jpg (55.2 KB, 461 views)
Old 03-08-2020, 02:12 AM   #5
jm duchenne

Bonjour Damien,

I could not say better than Daniel : the IEM series is now the best you can find to work with Usine.

Nevertheless we can hope that a higher order ATK will be eventually available since they have some processing tools that are yet missing elsewhere !
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #6
damstraversaz

Thanks a lot for the answers, that clearly the best solution, again I learned a lot about the way of thinking "ambisonic" !

Best,
Damien
Old 03-08-2020, 06:44 AM   #7
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
we can hope that a higher order ATK will be eventually available since they have some processing tools that are yet missing elsewhere !
I sort of remember that Trond Lossius of ATK has hinted that ATK would be eventually modernized: higher orders and ambiX.

Last edited by Kewl; 03-08-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
plush2

I keep coming back to 1st order FUMA just for the atk FocusPressPushZoom. It would be very useful to have 3rd or higher and ambix for those.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
I keep coming back to 1st order FUMA just for the atk FocusPressPushZoom. It would be very useful to have 3rd or higher and ambix for those.
Daryl, have you checked out Kronlachner's ambix_directional_loudness, ambix_wrap and ambix_widening plug-ins? Maybe those could provide the sort of effects you're looking for.

Kronlachner's ambix plug-ins & Spatial transformations for the enhancement of Ambisonic recordings
Old 03-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
Daryl, have you checked out Kronlachner's ambix_directional_loudness, ambix_wrap and ambix_widening plug-ins? Maybe those could provide the sort of effects you're looking for.
I have indeed. The function is great on the ambix suite. I really like the interface for ATK in this regard though. I find the Juice based sphere navigation to be not as nice as what Trond did with ATK. The influence graphic is the biggest difference. It is difficult to visualize what a transform is actually doing when it's just a dot on a rectangular projection.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
Rodulf

Default IEM

Quote:
Okay then, just try using IEM MultiEncoder to encode the 5.0 sources into 3rd order.
Concur. IEM has been the easiest and most effective Ambisonic-type plugins I have used. O3A and RODE Soundfield come in at second place.
Rodulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #12
Rodulf

Default Great!

Quote:

Kronlachner's ambix plug-ins & Spatial transformations for the enhancement of Ambisonic recordings
Just downloaded and tried out Kronlacher's AmbiX suite...works great, easy to use. Thank you for this link.
Rodulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #13
Voyage Audio

You can use the Sparta Ambi Encode to do this - also a free plugin suite worth checking out!

http://research.spa.aalto.fi/project...s/plugins.html
Old 05-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
damstraversaz

thanks a lot for the link !