Old 02-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #1
tjingboem
Human being with feelings

Default 24 notes per octave

Hi,
we are looking for a Reascale file that divides one octave in 24 notes. That means that for one octave we would have 24 notes available on the midi keyboard.
Why? This would be great for looking for timbres in samples that are in between the standard 12 notes.
OR
a way to read Scala files from http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/ would be nice too
tjingboem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
cassembler

<Friendly Bump>

I'm not a MIDI expert, but I believe you're pretty much locked in to the standard Western 12-tones, though pitch bend can help. However, I understand some instruments can do this out of the box: http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/Li...ftware+Plugins [EDIT: Link only good through July 2018]

Another option is to set up two instruments, tune one of them up/down a half step. Not ideal, but simple and effective.

Also see this thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=75024
Old 02-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
jerome_oneil

See if you can dig up something from Indian raga/carnatic music. They use a whole lot of micro-tones so there may be useful stuff for you.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
martifingers

I am sorry I have no expertise in MIDI to assist but you may be interested (if not already aware) of this alternative approach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Cq3pbcMkI

Smith has also done interesting things with hammer dulcimer microtonal tuning- I once attended a showing of The Cabinet of Dr Caligari with him doing a live soundtrack.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
lunker

Have you already looked at this post?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172759
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
viscofisy

Afaik there'd be nothing stopping you from building a custom "24-note octave" instrument in any sampler where you can assign one (or more) samples per piano key. You'd only have to tune each sample as required. I use TAL Sampler and I'm sure I could cobble such an instrument together. Not sure I'd like to play it though Mibby I'll give it a try.

Also, Chromaphone 2 comes with Scala Files, and you can add your own to its folder.
(Pretty sure other synths do too).

From the Chromaphone 2 manual :

5.3 Tuning
The Tune control, located to the right of the MIDI LED, is used to transpose the frequency of the keyboard. This control is composed of two numbers separated by a dot. The first number indicates a value in semi-tones while the second one indicates a value in cents (one hundredth of a semi- tone). The amount of transposition can be adjusted by click-dragging upward or downward on the semi-tone and cent controls. Double clicking on these controls brings back their value to zero. When the value of the Tune parameters is set to 0.00, the frequency of notes are calculated relative to A4 with a frequency of 440Hz.

An interesting feature of Chromaphone is that it can be tuned using different temperaments using Scala micro-tuning files. Temperament files are loaded by clicking on the Tune button which opens the Tuning pop-up window and displays the list of available tuning temperament files available.
By default, Chromaphone is set to equal temperament. Other files can be added to the list by copying them to the following folders:

_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
mschnell

The track topic does not makes sense.
"Octave" means eight and hence there always are eight notes in an Octave .

(Even though some geeks seem to assume there are 11 different semitones which means five different full tones, and I assume you in fact mean 23 different quarter tones).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:13 AM   #8
viscofisy

I suppose it should be called "quarter tone" - there's some interesting information on wikipedia :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_tone

On that page there's a mention for King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's album Flying Microtonal Banana ... so you can hear how quarter tone psychedelic music sounds (or at least one version of quarter tone, as there are various possible tunings) :

What I'd like to know is how people intend to actually play it on a keyboard.

You could keep the 24 notes inside the standard 12 piano keys and use a switching system, or you could use one piano key for each quarter tone.

Either way it sounds a bit of an effort
_
Old 02-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
What I'd like to know is how people intend to actually play it on a keyboard.
There are lots of different keyboard systems that do quarter tones or even tighter tonal distances.

The most common is the "arabic keyboard" (available e.g. from Krog). Here you have an additional (usually small) 12 tone keyboard with an LED is each key and (AFAIK) pressing such a key toggles the LED. When plaing on the normal keyboard, the notes corresponding to the lit leds are (AFAIK) shifted down a quarter tone.

But I don't know how this is represented in Midi to transfer to a DAW.

-Michael
Old 02-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
TC7

This has probably been suggested... but wouldn't it be the easiest thing to assign Patch A to one keyboard on one MIDI channel (Ch 1), and another patch Patch A (detuned a quarter tone) to another keyboard and MIDI channel (Ch 2).

In this way you wouldn't have the issue of playing an F on the keyboard while trying to remember what pitch is actually about to sound.

For our German poster: In many circles, octave (above) also means the pitch equal to 2 X Frequency 1. So, there are many microtonal systems. I particularly like the sound of 31 tones/"octave" (Clearly more than eight tones).
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
Judders

Maybe "diapason" would be a more suitable word than "octave"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huygens-Fokker Foundation
The word octave, which denotes the fundamental distance (and similarity) between the notes sung by men and women simultaneously when they join in a common hymn or song, testifies to a specified musical tradition with scales in which the eighth note is identified with the first. The Greeks did not pin down music in one scale of seven (8 - 1 = 7). They called this relation diapason, that is "through all", and by so doing they put into evidence the idea that the whole variety of notes is contained in a sequence between the first and the last note of a disapason. Nowadays the two notes separated by this interval are known to have frequencies in the relationship of 1:2, the higher note having double the frequency of the lower. Such notes, in spite of their differences, are identified as having the same musical value, nowadays as well as among the ancient Greeks.
- http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/fokkerorg.html

Anyway, maybe you could rig an expression or sustain pedal to pitch bend 50 cents?

If not, I think you'll have to use a plugin instrument that can use unconventional scales.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #12
karbomusic

Slightly OT but check out the frets on these guitars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72rbtrufws
Old 02-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #14
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post

Anyway, maybe you could rig an expression or sustain pedal to pitch bend 50 cents?

If not, I think you'll have to use a plugin instrument that can use unconventional scales.
There's other ways too :

In TAL Sampler I made an instrument from recording individual notes of a banjo.

Layer A has one set of individual samples per piano key.
Layer B has an octave lower version (mapped to the same key range).

Then I "cross-wired" them to the Mod wheel, so that one end (of the Mod wheel travel) is only Layer A, and the other is only Layer B. (In between is a blend of each, and you wouldn't likely want that for quarter tones ... but that can be overcome).

I could instead make Layer B out of the suitable quarter-tones.

That's one example - but I'm sure there are other ways to map and trigger quarter notes if you tune and load them in a sampler.
_
Old 02-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
MikeMcK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The track topic does not makes sense.
"Octave" means eight and hence there always are eight notes in an Octave .

(Even though some geeks seem to assume there are 11 different semitones which means five different full tones, and I assume you in fact mean 23 different quarter tones).

-Michael
That might be where the word came from (I don't know for sure) but in engineering it just means a doubling of frequency. Lots of engineers who don't know anything about music will characterize a low-pass filter in terms of dB/octave.

If Reascale lets you manually assign frequencies to keys, it's pretty easy to use a spreadsheet to generate the frequency map. Start with a reference (e.g. A = 110), then the next key's frequency is that (110) times 2^(1/24). The next frequency multiplies the last one by that same number until you have a table of all the frequencies to map.

Last edited by MikeMcK; 02-18-2018 at 08:11 AM.
MikeMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #16
tjingboem

we have come up with some sort of solution that can do the trick for us.
Since we are not that interested in some kind of tuning of the sample but looking for timbre changes of ambient-like sounds, we wanted to have a greater resolution of what we can achieve with the 12 semi notes in an octave.

What we did is:
- use 2 of the sample players (with looping etc)
- assign 1 sampler to midi channel 1, the other to midi channel 2
- take 2 midi keyboards, one for each of the 2 samplers
- detune of the samplers by 50 cents

1 sampler now can play "in between' the notes of the other sampler, thus together achieving a greater resolution of the limited octave division (24 notes).

A midi controller that will be used for filtering etc:
- split the midi channel with a midi router, so that it produces the filter values for midi channel 1 AND 2
With one controller it is now possible to move the cutoff frequency of both samplers (on midi channel 1 and 2)
- record everything in Reaper in 2 different tracks - one for midi cannel 1, the other for midi channel 2

works for us
tjingboem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #17
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjingboem View Post
we have come up with some sort of solution that can do the trick for us.
Since we are not that interested in some kind of tuning of the sample but looking for timbre changes of ambient-like sounds, we wanted to have a greater resolution of what we can achieve with the 12 semi notes in an octave.

What we did is:
- use 2 of the sample players (with looping etc)
- assign 1 sampler to midi channel 1, the other to midi channel 2
- take 2 midi keyboards, one for each of the 2 samplers
- detune of the samplers by 50 cents

1 sampler now can play "in between' the notes of the other sampler, thus together achieving a greater resolution of the limited octave division (24 notes).

A midi controller that will be used for filtering etc:
- split the midi channel with a midi router, so that it produces the filter values for midi channel 1 AND 2
With one controller it is now possible to move the cutoff frequency of both samplers (on midi channel 1 and 2)
- record everything in Reaper in 2 different tracks - one for midi cannel 1, the other for midi channel 2

works for us
Cool, thanks for reporting back
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #18
BipTunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjingboem View Post
Hi,
we are looking for a Reascale file that divides one octave in 24 notes. That means that for one octave we would have 24 notes available on the midi keyboard.
Why? This would be great for looking for timbres in samples that are in between the standard 12 notes.
OR
a way to read Scala files from http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/ would be nice too
Microtonal Re-tuner. RE-TUNES OTHER VSTs TO thousands of scales (included). Working beta, Free.
https://biptunia.com/?p=3309

Is 32-bit, but runs fine in 64-bit Reaper. Can even re-tune 64-bit VSTs in 64-bit Reaper.
BipTunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
mschnell

I recently did a Reaper project as a proof of concept that Pianoteq can accept MPE Midi and with that you can place a putchbend message right before a note-on and create any microtonal system you want to. see -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=211580
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-13-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #20
alanofoz

When I sing I always get at least 24 notes per octave. It's a natural talent.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:15 AM   #21
ivansc

Is that all?

Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #22
alanofoz

Ah well, if I really try I might be able to double that.
Microtonal singing!

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is online now   Reply With Quote