Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #121
hopi
Human being with feelings

I know people mostly know this... but Diva varies GREATLY with given patches.... let me see how many instances you get with the pad - super pad stack preset... oh yeah and do feed it a pile of fast midi notes plz
Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 AM   #122
Mr. PC

If anyone can say how Ryzen is for heat. I want to build a small PC with either a 7700k or a Ryzen, but I'm afraid Ryzen will be too hot (I want to keep it as quiet and small as possible.)
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #123
Softsynth

hmm....
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/03/am...-say-they-are/
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #124
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Is he? Maybe we'll get a few quid off?

The Scan article on CPUs for audio does indeed recommend Intel - and an i7 4790K for "best bang for buck".

There's a few things to be said about the idea of "the best" ... and how that relates to CPUs (and lots of other things ... digital cameras spring to mind).

You can keep adding extra cash and getting higher spec - but is the extra spec actually relevant to your end purpose?

afaik processor speed (GHz) is relevant, but not necessarily number of cores ... given that in an i7 you're getting at least 4 cores anyway. 6 or 8 might be nice to have, especially if you also do video which might be able to leverage those extra cores. But the gains per $ taper off rapidly above a certain point for the vast majority of audio users.

The requirements of audio are not necessarily CPU and GPU grunt (unlike video) - but more a balance between power and a system where all parts work well together.

That is, for most people's purposes, simply buying the top CPU will solve nothing, and may well be a step backwards. That's because real-time audio recording has very particular requirements ... the first of those being maintaining a constant absolutely unstoppable flow of relatively lightweight data. With zero hiccups.

This excellent video has become a bit of a classic (it's only a year old tho!) and it explains all of this :

He said loading the OS from a PCIe SSD increased CPU interupts?

Is it therefor a bad idea to buy PCIe SSDs? m.2?

Or maybe an m.2 NVMe is good for samples, but use a vanila SATA 3 SSD for the OS?

I'm wondering if I should build a computer that has PCIe SSDs or not.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #125
drumphil

Quote:
No. He said that the PCIe SSD he installed increased CPU interrupts. Which one? I don't know.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #126
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
No. He said that the PCIe SSD he installed increased CPU interrupts. Which one? I don't know.
Ok, so I won't *avoid* buying a Samsung EVO etc. for that sake.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #127
serr

M.2 pci connected SSD's are a good 3x faster than SATA connected SSD's.
400-500 MB/s read/write speeds in the average SATA SSD.
1200-1500 MB/s in the M.2

If someone was claiming increased CPU interrupts from an M.2 vs. a SATA connection, something else was the root cause!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #128
bennetng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post

Is it therefor a bad idea to buy PCIe SSDs? m.2?

Or maybe an m.2 NVMe is good for samples, but use a vanila SATA 3 SSD for the OS?

I'm wondering if I should build a computer that has PCIe SSDs or not.
He just gave an example that devices/drivers can affect real time performance, not saying that PCIE SSDs are bad.

At the end of the video he mentioned BIOS, it is also an important part since modern CPUs have a lot of power saving features like C-states, Speedsteps and so on, these features can affect real time performances as well. Also, take a look to find the HPET option in the BIOS menu.
bennetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #129
Mr. PC

I know this has already kindof happened in this thread, but I think it would be good if we created a balanced load template (mix of Reasynth, ReaSample[I guess would need a sample of some kind? So maybe not], Reacomp, Reafir etc. spread over 50 tracks or so. Something that a laptop i7 could just barely handle (so that everyone can partake).

Then benchmark and compare on a dedicated thread, and make the results into a graph. It would be really useful info for which CPUs work well.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #130
SmajjL

I don't mind doing a i7-7700K test on any project you have in mind while this CPU might be still relevant for some people, new stuff will arrive as usual any time.
And just note that if you put the Demo of Diva on one track, then copy the track, the next Diva will not be in devine mode if I remember correctly even if you did put the first one in that mode, might revisit this soon'ish.
What you get on the mobo and special CPU instructions for 4k HW HEVC/265 and that m.2. stuff, usb 3.1, displayport for 4k at 60Hz matters for me atleast, and Aura LEDs is a must...
The speed step 'thing fastness have improved not sure if it matters anymore, the turbo seem to kick in easy.
Just make a project and i'll test it.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:58 AM   #131
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I don't mind doing a i7-7700K test on any project you have in mind while this CPU might be still relevant for some people, new stuff will arrive as usual any time.
And just note that if you put the Demo of Diva on one track, then copy the track, the next Diva will not be in devine mode if I remember correctly even if you did put the first one in that mode, might revisit this soon'ish.
What you get on the mobo and special CPU instructions for 4k HW HEVC/265 and that m.2. stuff, usb 3.1, displayport for 4k at 60Hz matters for me atleast, and Aura LEDs is a must...
The speed step 'thing fastness have improved not sure if it matters anymore, the turbo seem to kick in easy.
Just make a project and i'll test it.
Ok, cool. I'm thinking I could just use Windows sounds as samples, that way everyone would be able to do it? Or is there an easier way (for the 'tester' to test the project).

I guess samples will also be stressing the disk I/O... but is there another effect that will stress the CPU the same way e.g. a bit Kontakt sample library would?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #132
SmajjL

But, but but, Diva is easy demo'able and it is well known and I asume, used, if it just is demoable, just make a project and put it on the stash and i'll get it and what ever demo, no problemo for me.
I was hoping you had something personally that frustrated the heck out of you that you were curious about.

I personally don't have those *Meh's* anymore thank gawd for my actual normal hobby usage, but maby Softie will introduce us to something new we think is cool and that require a WATSON computer, think he knows more anyway.

Edit: did you edit? I could swear that..

Last edited by SmajjL; 04-29-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:20 AM   #133
Mr. PC

Quote:
But, but but, Diva is easy demo'able and it is well known and I asume, used, if it just is demoable, just make a project and put it on the stash and i'll get it and what ever demo, no problemo for me.
I was hoping you had something personally that frustrated the heck out of you that you were curious about.

I personally don't have those *Meh's* anymore thank gawd for my actual normal hobby usage, but maby Softie will introduce us to something new we think is cool and that require a WATSON computer, think he knows more anyway.

Yes, I probably did (bad habit).

I'm just thinking, for a sample heavy template, the CPU usage will be different. Right now I'm torn between a 7700k and a Intel Xeon E3-1275 v6.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:37 AM   #134
Softsynth

Quote:

You want another CPU muncher?
Try testing multiple instances of Reaktor Razor (maxed out voices and quality).
Old 04-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #135
SmajjL

Thank you sir.Softie.
10 tracks with the ("highly advanced") CPU-Test.rpp w10 task manager say 54%, hyper threading on, poly, high, max, Big Cinema.

Ps: np PC, I can even go as far as deleting my own posts if I get on my own nerves, and it happens.

Ps2: Kaby*Lake-X will be official if you don't hurry up, make up you mind, and then... etc etc..

Last edited by SmajjL; 04-30-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #136
C-H

Just in case someone is interested.

My Toshiba Ultrabook with i5-3317U @2.26GHz TurboBoost (stock 1.7), Win10 Home x64 chokes on 3 instances of Diva after about 20 secs with the test proj.
It throttles down to 800MHz due to heat.

Edit: It should be 800MHz.

Last edited by C-H; 05-01-2017 at 07:32 AM.
C-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:50 AM   #137
snooks
Banned

Is that not 800MHz?
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:36 AM   #138
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-H View Post
Just in case someone is interested.

My Toshiba Ultrabook with i5-3317U @2.26GHz TurboBoost (stock 1.7), Win10 Home x64 chokes on 3 instances of Diva after about 20 secs with the test proj.
It throttles down to 80MHz due to heat.
Your laptop is faulty. Hopefully not be design!
looks like it is a common issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOhiIefBdk
Old 05-01-2017, 05:37 AM   #139
Softsynth

Quote:
Thank you sir.Softie.
10 tracks with the ("highly advanced") CPU-Test.rpp w10 task manager say 54%, hyper threading on, poly, high, max, Big Cinema.

Ps: np PC, I can even go as far as deleting my own posts if I get on my own nerves, and it happens.

Ps2: Kaby*Lake-X will be official if you don't hurry up, make up you mind, and then... etc etc..
No worries. I don't want to look at these new benchmarks too closely. Happy enough with my 3770.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #140
C-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Is that not 800MHz?
Yes, it was a typo.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #141
SmajjL

If I do this again then I will try smaller text and discrete color or something.
Just don't block me please!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #142
C-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Your laptop is faulty. Hopefully not be design!
looks like it is a common issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOhiIefBdk
It's a different model. Mine is a Portege Z935 but sure, it could be dirty. It's going on 5 years now and is still perfectly fine for everything but the heaviest tasks.

Looking at building a tiny (SFF) desktop replacement once the mini-ITX Ryzen boards become common.
Ryzen 5 1600 (6C/12T) with a slight OC seems to me to be the sweet spot.

Last edited by C-H; 05-01-2017 at 07:45 AM.
C-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #143
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-H View Post
It's a different model. Mine is a Portege Z935 but sure, it could be dirty. It's going on 5 years now and is still perfectly fine for everything but the heaviest tasks.

Looking at building a tiny (SFF) desktop replacement once the mini-ITX Ryzen boards become common.
Ryzen 5 1600 (6C/12T) with a slight OC seems to me to be the sweet spot.
Just a broad idea. Can you not find a video on your specific model?
Or use that video as a rough guide?

Anyway hope the Ryzen project works out in the long term.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #144
C-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Just a broad idea. Can you not find a video on your specific model?
Or use that video as a rough guide?

Anyway hope the Ryzen project works out in the long term.
Thx but no worries
There are vids but I'm not desperate and don't want to screw it up before a replacement is in hand.

A Ryzen build should last at least as long as this machine. I'm interested so see experiences from other builders. It will be a universal workstation not dedicated to Audio/Reaper. I'm just noodling around with soft synths for fun here.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #145
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I suspect there are a great number of users out there with their system set for low latency because they heard that was the "thing" that are actually doing post work. All your resources geared to low latency monitoring that you aren't even using while your system struggles.
I set my ASIO buffer to maximum when mixing or mastering. There's no reason to unnecessarily strain computer components.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #146
mikeroephonics

Generally speaking, what are the top CPU contenders in May 2017? I see the AMD Ryzen CPUs came out 2 months ago on March 2nd. If going AMD, what are the current best aside from the Ryzen family? And if going Intel, should one go with at least an i7 6XXX?

Also, it would be helpful for people with real-world use of newer CPUs to list their system components. I know the focus of this thread is CPUs, but the CPU must be compatible with the mainboard and RAM. Something like:

Mainboard:
CPU:
Heatsink:
Thermal Compound:
RAM:
OS HDD:
Samples HDD(s):
Video:
Case:
Case Fan:

I'm looking to get a newer CPU that performs as well as my Intel i7 2600K, which performs about 90-95% as well as an ideal setup for me. My ideal setup is 4 loaded Kontakt instances running at ASIO 128 samples/44.1KHz.

The main point for me, and anyone else doing real-time work with VSTis is making sure the audio thread has precisely 0 interruptions. My i7 2600K can do this under most circumstances, but if I really push it, it's crackle time.

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 05-01-2017 at 05:39 PM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #147
SmajjL

If 4K is a maby, then 7700K works (no need for an real GPU to watch movies) and every motherboard does not have displayport, I almost fell on that one but since I am super-social in the store, we worked it out.
And dare I say that going with the Highest Possible memory-speed can be a waste of money on the Intel platform atleast. (it is your Duty to Correct me if I am Wrong!)

I wanted a big CPU fan and I played it safe with Noctua even if my motherboard had an offer that included something else.
I went with Noctua NH-U12S and I had an extra resistance wire laying around and I still don't have heat issues by Far, not even close and I can't hear the thing.
And that coolers mounting solution was perfect easy and un-complicated, no drama & paste included.

It turned out that the internal soundcard was not poop and my old soundcard is PCI so I can't test the difference in buffer, how much benifit I got in that erea, but I can run at 64/44.100 now and am so curious and wish my old soundcard was PCI-E.

Edit: ohh/ahh yeah, I always forget the roundtrip people, it is playback/responsiveness I am happy about.

Edit2: observe that I have Not answered the title of the thread.
Well done AMD!

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-02-2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: One key on the keyboard would make my life easyer.... :p
Old 05-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #148
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
I'm looking to get a newer CPU that performs as well as my Intel i7 2600K, which performs about 90-95% as well as an ideal setup for me. My ideal setup is 4 loaded Kontakt instances running at ASIO 128 samples/44.1KHz.
You have a 'K' processor, so you could just overclock it by 20% and all your problems are solved.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #149
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
You have a 'K' processor, so you could just overclock it by 20% and all your problems are solved.
Yeah, but I don't like to overclock CPUs because it can shorten their life. I used to do it but now, I'd rather not risk it.

Also, before I get a new system, I'd like to replace just the mainboard, as my DAW's mainboard died last week. I'm pretty sure all other components still work (CPU, RAM, video card, HDDs.) The problem I'm having is finding an LGA 1155 mainboard which is compatible with my i7 2600K and also is free of serious problems.

Does anyone know if newer Intel chipsets are always compatible with older RAM modules? I have 4x8GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill RAM which says it works with Intel chipsets Z68 & P68. I called G.Skill today and their tech told me this RAM will work with Intel Z77, and other newer. I'd just like some real-world confirmation from here, if possible. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 04:28 AM   #150
bennetng

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Does anyone know if newer Intel chipsets are always compatible with older RAM modules? I have 4x8GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill RAM which says it works with Intel chipsets Z68 & P68. I called G.Skill today and their tech told me this RAM will work with Intel Z77, and other newer. I'd just like some real-world confirmation from here, if possible. Thanks!
The latest Intel and AMD motherboards use DDR4, if you insist to use DDR3 you can only use the older ones.

Also, RAM are much more expensive than last year, almost doubled, for example:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vW...story_days=365
https://thetracktor.com/detail/B0134EW7G8/
Old 05-03-2017, 05:27 AM   #151
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennetng View Post
The latest Intel and AMD motherboards use DDR4, if you insist to use DDR3 you can only use the older ones.

Also, RAM are much more expensive than last year, almost doubled, for example:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vW...story_days=365
https://thetracktor.com/detail/B0134EW7G8/
Why is Ram becoming *more* expensive? That doesn't make sense!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 AM   #152
bennetng

Quote:
The links I posted contain RAM price trend charts. By googling words like RAM price rising/increase within 1 year there are many explanations about this issue, but which one is the truth? Who knows!

The trend affects SSD as well, just not as severe as RAM.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 AM   #153
Softsynth

Quote:
Supply and demand. When a new spec comes out most production shifts to the new standard. Manufacturers can play it safe and underestimate demand.
Supply is also relatively limited at the beginning of the new standard life cycle for obvious reasons.
When the market is saturated and manufacturers have produced too much product the prices are at their best for the consumer.
You should be able to buy plenty of perfectly good used DDR3 ram if new prices are a bit rich.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #154
Judders

Apparently it's because of phones: http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-why-ddr...s-have-spiked/
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 AM   #155
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Damn supply and demand.

PC builders may remember the lack of available optical DVD drives for PCs when PlayStation 2 came out.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #156
bennetng

My last experience in dramatic RAM price rising was caused by the earthquake in Taiwan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Jiji_earthquake

I was lucky enough to get an 128MB module just two months before that.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 AM   #157
Mr. PC

Ok, so apparently by 2018 DDR4 prices will come back down.

And Ryzen will "mature".

I'm waiting 1 more year to build a new PC.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #158
Judders

Quote:
Ok, so apparently by 2018 DDR4 prices will come back down.

And Ryzen will "mature".

I'm waiting 1 more year to build a new PC.
I think it's wise to wait 6-12months. I'm looking to build a new rendering machine, and I'll be watching and waiting for the market to settle a bit before I do.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:24 AM   #159
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I think it's wise to wait 6-12months. I'm looking to build a new rendering machine, and I'll be watching and waiting for the market to settle a bit before I do.
So, if everything goes to plan, I will build a passively cooled Ryzen 1800x with 128gb ram and a PCIe hard drive that can fit in my backpack for $1400.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #160
Judders

Quote:
So, if everything goes to plan, I will build a passively cooled Ryzen 1800x with 128gb ram and a PCIe hard drive that can fit in my backpack for $1400.

Wow, sounds impressive!