Old 08-13-2017, 01:21 AM   #1
brynolf
Human being with feelings

Default Track templates and Kontakt

I recently did a batch resave of all my Kontakt instruments and now, when I start Kontakt via my old Track templates in Reaper, it complains about missing files.

Does a track template containing Kontakt store all file paths and such separately from Kontakt's own database? If so, do I have to BOTH batch resave within Kontakt and then re-save all my templates?
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
brynolf

Yep, it sure seems like I have to both batch resave AND re-save my templates. Is there any way to get around this?
Old 08-13-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
brynolf

...aaand all the projects containing Kontakt instruments also need resaving...

How is this even possible? The file paths are saved within the .nki instrument file, right? Is Reaper saving a separate copy of the nki somewhere? I don't get it.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynolf View Post
...aaand all the projects containing Kontakt instruments also need resaving...

How is this even possible? The file paths are saved within the .nki instrument file, right? Is Reaper saving a separate copy of the nki somewhere? I don't get it.
I don't have a clue how Reaper handles this but your experience is a good lessen to all of us Kontakt users.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I don't have a clue how Reaper handles this but your experience is a good lessen to all of us Kontakt users.
Yeah it happened to me too since I use more than one partition I tend to open projects with missing data. I try to apply fx to take as much as possible and also write the name of the patch/preset/vsti on the item.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
brynolf

I should mention that I moved a lot of the libraries to another drive before the batch resave. That was kinda the whole point of the operation. But regardless, the Kontakt instances saved within Reaper projects or Track templates (and FX chains I'd assume) don't seem to benefit from the batch resave.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:48 AM   #7
brynolf

Just for closure: ED answered over at VI. Seems all Kontakt settings (including filepaths) are stored within the actual DAW project file. So make sure you plan ahead regarding your library storage...

https://vi-control.net/community/thr...rojects.68210/

Last edited by brynolf; 01-27-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
Lunar Ladder

Yep, it's not a Reaper issue at all. If Kontakt didn't do this, in any host, you could break all your projects using a particular Kontakt instrument if you accidentally happened to forget and saved over the .nki with different settings than the ones that are used in, say, twenty important projects from two years ago
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote