Old 01-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
silar
Human being with feelings

Default Bias FX

I just recently bought Bias FX Pro and so far I really like it, but for some reason it is extremely slow..

It seems to be stable, and only uses a few percent cpu, and really no RT CPU. My drives are 10krpm Cheeta drives, and I'm running Windows 10 with all the tweaks to make it lean and mean. I've got 16gb of memory and a quad core Xeon processor. It runs fine, no pops or clicks, sounds pretty darn amazing, hasn't really crashed, but it's just really, really, really slow when changing presets or browsing the cloud for other presets.

Is this normal or is there something I'm missing?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by silar View Post
Is this normal or is there something I'm missing?
Visit the Positive Grid forum and you will see, that there are many complaints about all their products.

And it seems, you are one of the lucky Windows 10 users, when I see what others report there.

I myself use BIAS FX on an iPad Air 2 with iOS 8 and on a Macbook Pro with OSX Yosemite and both show the same bug with different interfaces and guitars, and for sure high end cables ... I get a single click/pop every few minutes.

Furthermore the latest OSX update causes Reaper to kick in automute every few minutes and the iOS versuon sometimes crashes with drastic feedback.

Conclusion: BIAS FX is a buggy mess and instead of fixing it, they concentrate on releasing new products. Btw, on iOS 9 it's even unusable at all.

I really like BIAS, but I have no good feelings about it's future!

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Visit the Positive Grid forum and you will see, that there are many complaints about all their products.

And it seems, you are one of the lucky Windows 10 users, when I see what others report there.

I myself use BIAS FX on an iPad Air 2 with iOS 8 and on a Macbook Pro with OSX Yosemite and both show the same bug with different interfaces and guitars, and for sure high end cables ... I get a single click/pop every few minutes.

Furthermore the latest OSX update causes Reaper to kick in automute every few minutes and the iOS versuon sometimes crashes with drastic feedback.

Conclusion: BIAS FX is a buggy mess and instead of fixing it, they concentrate on releasing new products. Btw, on iOS 9 it's even unusable at all.

I really like BIAS, but I have no good feelings about it's future!
I don't get any pops or clicks, just seems slow if I change from patch to patch. Also takes a few when initially loading up. The cloud service is pretty cool, especially the ability to preview a patch before downloading it, but it seems like that even takes about 10 to 20 seconds after selecting preview before you can even use it.

It's okay for my use in the studio, but I can see how something like this would never be able to be used live..

And.. BTW.. I did hit their forums.. but only after I bought it. I've only seen posts on it being slow on the MAC or in Pro Tools. I'm guessing it's just that way for everyone..
Old 01-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
EvilDragon

IMHO it's because their GUIs are way too cumbersome graphically and inefficiently coded.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
IMHO it's because their GUIs are way too cumbersome graphically and inefficiently coded.
^That.... Is exactly what I was thinking. It's not crashed, but I always feel like I'm eventually going to get a 'Reaper has stopped responding' error box when bringing it up or switching patches.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
frkasper

Currently I have an open support ticket with PG because the touchscreen is not working in my Notebook with Windows 8.1 and REAPER. Everything touch-wise works in the FX folder (REAPER FXs, Guitar Rig, etc)... BIAS amp does not. I actually evaluated and installed BIAS FX and the touch did not work either. For me at least this is a big red flag.

I will keep your inputs as references though for the other issues. Good info. Thx! Cheers,
frkasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by frkasper View Post
For me at least this is a big red flag.
That's not the only red flag ... it's a joke, that something is called Pro, which doesn't support MIDI and Automation. They announced it for the Desktop version, but so far they always talk about "soon".

The iOS version supports MIDI, btw.

I think many issues might have their origin in the fact, that BIAS was first developed for iOS only and later ported to OSX and Windows.

Fact is, that more and more frustrated customers begin to try out alternative products.

I wouldn't be astonished, if PG will be eaten up by a major company during this year, which will be the only way to survive, once their reputation is ruined.

Chris
Old 02-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
Not_Here

Glad I stopped by and read through this thread... I will be saving my money for sure and looking elsewhere for some guitar goodies...
Old 02-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #9
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Glad I stopped by and read through this thread... I will be saving my money for sure and looking elsewhere for some guitar goodies...
Test the demos first ... PG solved a lot in 2 years!

I still use BIAS and BIAS FX on iOS and macOS and I wouldn't, if they were still faulty, right?

Chris
Old 02-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #10
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Test the demos first ... PG solved a lot in 2 years!

I still use BIAS and BIAS FX on iOS and macOS and I wouldn't, if they were still faulty, right?
Well in fact I did try them again last night. I had some issues trying to get the LE versions to work, but after an email to them, all is good. They went in and entered my keys into my account. So they worked but were very noisey as a stand alone. Evey time mouse moved across the noise would increase slightly too, Hiss pop click stuff.
Still haven't got them working through Reaper as VST. I did find they had an announcement of known bug for WIN 10 and a solution just posted...
https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-...R-on-Windows10

I have yet to try this, but I'm betting it might help my issue. Perhaps the noise too?

O/T has anyone seen this?

This might also be a great way to have more than one way to get sound/midi in/out/through my 'puter...

Peace and Good Happiness Stuff

Last edited by Not_Here; 02-07-2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: corrected link
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:34 AM   #11
Aymara

Quote:
I had some issues trying to get the LE versions to work, ...
Sorry, I never tested LE versions, only iOS and Mac desktop.

Regarding noise I noticed, that many setups even by so called featured artists just suck for being too noisy. But if you use a noise gate inside BFX and fine tune a setup, it can be pretty great sounding, incl. very low noise levels.

Regarding Win10 I can't help, because I only have a i5 Surface Pro, so I do my music stuff on my Macbook Pro with i7 and 16 GB RAM.

Maybe use the PG forum too:

https://forum.positivegrid.com

Chris
Old 02-05-2018, 03:39 AM   #12
Judders

Quote:
Evey time mouse moved across the noise would increase slightly too...
Do you have a wireless mouse?

I've not used PG products, but have noticed that wireless mouse can sometimes cause extra noise when using high gain amp sims.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #13
Aymara

It's also possible, that the LE versions have issues, the full versions don't have.

It's also worth mentioning, that PG often has discounts ... I paid 70 bucks for the BFX Standard version and upgraded for just 50 bucks to Pro to get the automation feature and more FX and amps.

That's just 120 bucks compared to the 200 bucks it usually costs.

Currently BFX Standard is discounted to just 60 bucks, so I wouldn't hasitate and delete this LE crap But as I said ... Standard doesn't include automation.

Chris
Old 02-07-2018, 02:25 AM   #14
ivansc

...or you could try/buy Scuffham`s SGear2 for $99.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #15
Not_Here

Still having difficulty getting Bias to show up as a plug in. Is there a particular Video that has a step by step I could learn from?

Although I'm leaning to that new pedal board linked above.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #16
Aymara

Contact PG support and ask, if this applies to all desktop versions:

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-...R-on-Windows10

PS: For my taste Amplitube sucks, so the iRig Stompbox is not for me.

Chris
Old 02-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #17
msundh

I have BIAS FX Pro and really like it, but it's getting slower and slower to start up.
I guess all the connecting products and stuff.
Occasional there's no sound, so you have to delete/add the vst or restarting the project.
I have got som Kazrog plugs just to be on the safe side.