Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Help with a 5 volt power issue?

Looks like this circuit will do fine on 5 volts, which means I can use a regular USB powerbank phone charger thing. However it gets goofy if the voltage drops at all temporarily. Where can i put a capacitor in this to help keep that from making trouble? Can someone finish this schematic?

pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:52 AM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Or if theres some sort of rechargable battery with decent storage above 5 volts? A regular 9v has too little storage and 6 rechangable a's would be a PITA
Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Directly across +/- rails of the 5V output of the regulator starting somewhere between 100 and 220 uf. Probably easier to just get a regulated 5V PSU though unless you are into to building regulated PSUs. Just saw the "finish this schematic" part... which regulator chip are you using or do we need to hunt that down? LM317 will probably do it...

I've built various versions of that one a few times. Adjustable is better IMHO as you can dial it in precisely. In above R1 is the voltage adjustment. There are some others where it spits out the advertised value as-is FWIW. You need more than 5V going in so it can actually regulate so 9V in is likely a good trade off for regulation wiggle room and heat.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-28-2018 at 08:34 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The regulator is part of the onboard circuit on a behringer fcb 1010. Its a 7805 5V regulator

Someone linked a 9volt 11,0000 mah rechargeable battery that might just work instead of this, not sure

http://www.talentcell.com/products/1...y-8300mah.html

I'm trying to deal with the problems he found as he did this

https://community.cantabilesoftware....gle-cable/1819
Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
karbomusic

Are you trying to get out of using a wall wart? I'm not getting what that project and wanting to stabilize a regulator that should already be stable have in common. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I want to make this thing completely wireless. The wireless MIDI part is handled, but the powering of it is vexxing me

Is seems like it *should* run fine on 5 volts like a regular cellphone USB powerbank, but apparently the CC's are making trouble
Old 01-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
karbomusic

Yea but if the regulator spits out 5V then it must take in more than 5V or it can't actually 'regulate' 5V. Regulation must have something above the desired output for that wiggle room I mentioned. If you are trying to use 5V in front of the regulator, you are breaking it's ability to regulate - it will be able to account for an overvoltage but there is no extra there to make up for an undervoltage. Surely the stock PSU is larger than 5V for that reason?

You could try the cap I suggested across the +/- rail, it may help or it may not, serving as a temporary reservoir if the incoming drops for a split second.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-28-2018 at 11:35 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
bobobo

found this
https://community.cantabilesoftware....gle-cable/1819

the regulator is soldered out and the usb-cables are connected to where the regulator was.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
karbomusic

^Yep, that's in one of pipe's links. That would work as it's just replacing the regulator with the regulator at the other end of the USB cable.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I just ordered one of these, I found some cheaper power banks, but I really love the other things Joyo is doing so I opted to support development Hopefully this works ok, if not, I have a cool 9v supply anyway.

http://joyoaudio.com/en/product/show_155.html
Old 01-29-2018, 01:21 AM   #11
ivansc

Can be recharged 1,000 times.... so that makes it er almost two shows/sessions per week for...ten years? OK I`ll buy that so long as the price is acceptable. Good solution.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Pedaltrain and mission engineering make some too, as do others

the crazy thing is, I had asked several shops about something to do this and they all said they had no idea. After I asked you guys about these solutions, I was looking around on more forums about unrelated stuff and ran into someone talking about the joyo. SO when I look at that, I realize, there is an entire market category devoted to this problem, lots of products.

And the kicker: EVERY single shop I had originally asked sells these products....you just can't win

SO Mission Engineering has two versions,

https://missionengineering.com/shop-...v=7516fd43adaa

one with and one without a battery. The one without justr lets you plug in a USB supply and I think its called a step up converter, so I looked for that as well.

I found this https://www.amazon.com/EX-Voltage-Co.../dp/B072WL63GL