Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-14-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
acebone
Human being with feelings

Default Midi-editor playback is slower than project tempo

Really odd - when I edit a certain midi-item, playback within the midi-editor is slower than project tempo. Also the midi loops too early at a very odd point.

What can cause this?
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #2
acebone

Nobody tried this?

The midi-item is actually imported from Sampletank 3s patterns, but I clicked no to importing tempomaps, not that it makes a difference.

When playback is started from the midi-editor, the tempo is much slower, and the playback loops too early.

Some tempo/time info in the midi-item afterall? Why is it only active when played back from the editor, not the arrangeview? Can I turn it off? Or is it some other problem altogether?
Old 05-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
MonkeyBars

Check the item playrate. Maybe you changed it by accident
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:38 AM   #4
acebone

Nope - playrate is at 1.000000

also it doesn't matter if I set the item-timebase to time or beats.

It's almost like the loop is happening where it ought to in time, but the beats are behind, so the loop sounds like it's too early.

There is no tempo-envelope for the take itself, and I haven't got a clue where this slow tempo is defined. It looks very much like a bug, but then again, I am used to thinking "this is a bug" and then it turns out to be some misconfiguration on my own part.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #5
MonkeyBars

Oh weird so playback from the MIDI Editor differs only on this item and not if you press play from Arrange? Are you absolutely positive you're focused on the item in question? The scroll doesn't lock up automatically per se
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:13 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post
Nope - playrate is at 1.000000

also it doesn't matter if I set the item-timebase to time or beats.

It's almost like the loop is happening where it ought to in time, but the beats are behind, so the loop sounds like it's too early.

There is no tempo-envelope for the take itself, and I haven't got a clue where this slow tempo is defined. It looks very much like a bug, but then again, I am used to thinking "this is a bug" and then it turns out to be some misconfiguration on my own part.
It sounds like latency. I'm not sure how it happens but I think there are situations where this can happen.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #7
foxAsteria

My guess would be prefs/buffering/anticipative fx/allow on tracks with open MIDI editor. Basically I think that's a workaround for previewing MIDI edits in realtime with a project requiring large buffer sizes. If that's the case, the timing should be better with the ME closed.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post
When playback is started from the midi-editor, the tempo is much slower, and the playback loops too early.
Maybe you (accidently) unlinked MIDI editor transport from main transport (MIDI editor menu > Options > Sync editor transport to project transport)?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:29 AM   #9
acebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Maybe you (accidently) unlinked MIDI editor transport from main transport (MIDI editor menu > Options > Sync editor transport to project transport)?
That's it!

I can't find the menu-option though, I found it in the action list, and indeed sync was off, and everything was fixed when I turned it on ... that's an odd feature: When would you like your midi-editor to be out of sync, and why is it still obeying the timebase (looping at the right point in time, but the wrong time in beats)?

But it works now - thanks, it was driving me up the walls