Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
keytars_forever
Human being with feelings

Default Can I map pitch bend to CC1?

I have a keyboard that has a pitch wheel but no mod wheel. Since I don't really need the pitch funktion, but want to use the mod wheel, is there a way to map pitch bend to CC1?

The closest thing to what I need is the CC mapper that comes with Reaper, but it doesn't have pitch bend as an option (because pitch bend is not a continuous controller).
keytars_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
DarkStar

insertpizhere's midiConverter3 will do it (in his MIDIpack bundle, I think):

Code:
Change and convert between CC, Channel Pressure, Poly Aftertouch, Program Change, Pitch Bend, NRPN/RPN, Note On/Off, and other messages in various ways. Pitch Bend and (N)RPN conversions will use the full 14-bit values when possible.

Parameters:

--Input section--
Here you select an input message to convert.

Input Type - Incoming message to convert. See also "In Param 1" and "In Param 2" which further define the message. For note input types, note-offs and 0-velocity note-ons are treated interchangeably. For LSB modes, the low 7 bits of the 14-bit message are used as the input message. Options:
	CC
	14-bit CC
	Program Change
	Channel Pressure
	Poly Aftertouch
	Pitch Bend
	Pitch Bend (LSB)
	NRPN
	NRPN (LSB)
	RPN
	RPN (LSB)
	Note On #
	Note On Velocity
	Note Off #
	Note Off Velocity

In Param 1 - Selects input CC number, note number, or (N)RPN MSB.

In Param 2 - Selects input (N)RPN LSB.

Channel In - Selects input channel.

--Mapping section--
These parameters determine how the input values are mapped to output values. 

Low Input - Lowest allowed input value (except for Stretch/Stretch mode, see below). Low Input cannot be higher than High Input. If you try to set it that way, High Input will be automatically set equal to Low Input.

High Input - Highest allowed input value (except for Stretch/Stretch mode, see below). Low Input cannot be higher than High Input. If you try to set it that way, Low Input will be automatically set equal to High Input.

Map Mode - Options:
	Clip/Limit - Values outside Low & High Input are discarded; values inside are then limited to Low & High Output.
	Clip/Stretch - Values outside Low & High Input are discarded; values inside are then stretched or compressed to fit between Low & High Output.
	Stretch/Stretch - The full input range 0-127 is compressed to fit between Low & High Input and then is stretched or compressed again to fit between Low & High Output.

Low Output - Lowest possible output value. When Low Output is higher than High Output, the values are reversed, and this will be the highest output value.

High Output - Highest possible output value. When Low Output is higher than High Output, the values are reversed, and this will be the lowest output value.

Offset - This value is added to the output value after the above mapping.

--Output section--
Here you set what the input message is converted to. For 14-bit to 7-bit conversions, rounding is used. For 7-bit to 14-bit conversions, the input value is used for both bytes, except when the value is below 64, in which case the LSB is set to 0.

Output Type - Options:
	Discard - No conversion, just block the input message.
	CC - Mapped value will be used as the value of a CC message set by Out Param 1, optionally	(set by Out Param 2) with smoothing.
	14-bit CC - Mapped value will be used as the value of a 14-bit CC message pair set by Out Param 1, optionally (set by Out Param 2) with smoothing.
	Program Change
	Channel Pressure
	Poly Aftertouch - Mapped value will be used as the value of a polyphonic aftertouch message with note number set by Out 1.
	Pitch Bend - Mapped value will be used as the value of a pitch bend message, optionally (set by Out Param 1) with smoothing.
	Pitch Bend (LSB) - Mapped value will be used as the LSB of a pitch bend message with MSB set by Out Param 1.
	NRPN
	NRPN (LSB)
	RPN
	RPN (LSB)
	Note On # - Mapped value will be used as the note number for a note-on message with velocity set by Out Param 1. Optionally (set by Out Param 2) also immediately send a corresponding note-off.
	Note On Velocity - Mapped value will be used as the velocity for a note-on message with note number set by Out Param 1.
	Note Off # - Mapped value will be used as the note number for a note-off message with velocity set by Out Param 1. 
	Note Off Velocity - Mapped value will be used as the velocity for a note-off message with note number set by Out Param 1.
	Clock - Input message will trigger a MIDI Clock tick (0xF8).

Out Param 1 - Selects output CC number, note number, or (N)RPN MSB.

Out Param 2 - Selects output (N)RPN LSB, or Pitch Bend / CC smoothing amount.

Channel Out - Selects output channel.

Thru - What to do with other MIDI messages. Options:
	Block Converted - Unselected messages are sent through; selected input messages are blocked.
	Thru All - All messages are sent through, except for conversions where the output is the same message as the input.	
	Converted Only - Unselected messages as well as selected input messages are blocked; only the output messages are sent.
Everyone using MIDI in Reaper should get this bundle AND make a donation. It's well worth it.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
keytars_forever

Ha, it works! This is Brilliant! Thanks!
keytars_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
imazi643

What parameters should the vst have in order for this to work?
imazi643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by imazi643 View Post
What parameters should the vst have in order for this to work?
Assuming that what DS shows there is a plugin, then all the VSTi needs is the means for the CC01 Mod controller to work.

In other words, the CC01 Mod needs to be assigned to something in the VSTi.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
imazi643

The CC1 is already mapped in the VSTi like it should be (I'm using EWQLSO Gold, Play Engine). I have the parameters in the VST discussed in DarkStar's post set like so in the attachment. However, the EWQLSO Gold still treats my mod wheel as a pitch bend command even though the VST is in effect. How can this be fixed?
Attached Images
File Type: png MIDICCchangeparameters.png (57.4 KB, 623 views)
Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by imazi643 View Post
The CC1 is already mapped in the VSTi like it should be (I'm using EWQLSO Gold, Play Engine). I have the parameters in the VST discussed in DarkStar's post set like so in the attachment. However, the EWQLSO Gold still treats my mod wheel as a pitch bend command even though the VST is in effect. How can this be fixed?
Hi imazi643 and Happy New Year.

I've never used a plug like this so I'm no sure.

The only thing I notice in the picture is at the bottom, Thru = Block All. However, I don't have a clue what that means as far as the plugin is concerned.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
FnA

It also says FX: Master Track. Try it on the instrument track, above the instrument in the chain, and set that bottom parameter to block converted.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
imazi643

That works! Thank you!
Old 05-09-2022, 08:54 AM   #10
Pintspiller

I have uploaded a picture of the settings you need in order to change Pitch Band to CC#11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Convert Pitch Bend to CC#11.jpg (78.7 KB, 104 views)
Pintspiller is offline   Reply With Quote