Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-29-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
iharpyou
Human being with feelings

Default What mic or equipment do they use to record this in open field

This one as an example

https://youtu.be/2va3j-Ub3B0

It is not green screen, No wind sound

What Mic and audio can achieve this?

Audio Motu 4 and PC: i7-10700KF CPU 3.79 GHz | Ram: 32 GB |GeForce RTX 3070
iharpyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iharpyou View Post
This one as an example

https://youtu.be/2va3j-Ub3B0

It is not green screen, No wind sound

What Mic and audio can achieve this?
How do you know it's not green screen?

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:12 PM   #3
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
How do you know it's not green screen?

Fran
because he says some thing like birds are signing as if he is seeing them
It is possible that it is greenscreen and not that difficult however I have seen others in open field that they record music and I am sure it is not greenscreen and it is not just lip singing it is real time.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:34 PM   #4
karbomusic

I can't be 100% sure but having a hard time confirming it's not a green screen. Look at the fringe/halo at the edges of him against the background which is a classic green screen type artifact. It might not be a screen but it does look and sound at least a little bit suspicious.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:08 AM   #5
Fran Guidry

Quote:
because he says some thing like birds are signing as if he is seeing them
It is possible that it is greenscreen and not that difficult however I have seen others in open field that they record music and I am sure it is not greenscreen and it is not just lip singing it is real time.
Thanks for visiting my YouTube channel, I should have thought of that clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erAAPNqIeg when responding to your original question. You can find the details for that clip in the description and you can see the mics at the very bottom of the clip in some of the angles:

Quote:
This clip is also a bit of tech experiment for me. With the advances in smart phone cameras I decided to leave most of my mirrorless camera equipment home and replace my two Lumix GH4s with a pair of recent iPhones. So this clip was shot using a Lumix GH5 along with an iPhone XS Max and an iPhone 11 Pro Max. Filmic Pro and Filmic Remote were very useful in getting the best from iPhones.

The audio recording got an upgrade as well. I've retired my old faithful Zoom H6 and replaced it with a Zoom F6 32 bit field recorder. The F6 has some real advantages but it has no built-in mics so the setup is a slight bit more complicated compared to the H6 handheld unit. I am fortunate to have a pair of Shure KSM141 mics in my collection and the omnidirectional mode was key to getting a usable recording in spite of the windy conditions.
I was amazed by the way the omni mics reduced the impact of the wind noise. I added just a bit of low cut EQ to reduce the worst of the gusts but you can hear the wind in a couple of spots.

So to answer your original question, omnidirectional mics are much less sensitive to wind than directional mics and with the use of a good "dead cat" style windscreen can be amazing. I would think that an omni lavalier mic under the clothes might do the job as well.

Nice collection of videos on your YouTube channel, I hope you'll have success with your future efforts.

Fran
Old 04-30-2022, 11:56 AM   #6
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Thanks for visiting my YouTube channel, I should have thought of that clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erAAPNqIeg when responding to your original question. You can find the details for that clip in the description and you can see the mics at the very bottom of the clip in some of the angles:

I was amazed by the way the omni mics reduced the impact of the wind noise. I added just a bit of low cut EQ to reduce the worst of the gusts but you can hear the wind in a couple of spots.

So to answer your original question, omnidirectional mics are much less sensitive to wind than directional mics and with the use of a good "dead cat" style windscreen can be amazing. I would think that an omni lavalier mic under the clothes might do the job as well.

Nice collection of videos on your YouTube channel, I hope you'll have success with your future efforts.

Fran

Yes exactly. I did not read the description so you are using Zoom
I want to have the freedom to move around too so do you recommend zoom?
Can you please recommend all equipment I need . Money not that much issue as I am going to set aside and invest in this

Old 05-01-2022, 01:19 AM   #7
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I can't be 100% sure but having a hard time confirming it's not a green screen. Look at the fringe/halo at the edges of him against the background which is a classic green screen type artifact. It might not be a screen but it does look and sound at least a little bit suspicious.
I agree.

It looks like green screen, but the audio is even more telling. The silence is so deep, I can't imagine it being recorded in the open, as he tells us there's a slight breeze. I couldn't find any natural background sound in the entire recording.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:25 AM   #8
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I agree.

It looks like green screen, but the audio is even more telling. The silence is so deep, I can't imagine it being recorded in the open, as he tells us there's a slight breeze. I couldn't find any natural background sound in the entire recording.
You mean with zoom field recorder or some thing like that you can't do that?

Old 05-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #9
cyrano

I think it's clearly a studio production, not a live recording.

As silent as the audio is, it could very well be one the new 32 bit Zoom recorders.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #10
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Yes exactly. I did not read the description so you are using Zoom
I want to have the freedom to move around too so do you recommend zoom?
Can you please recommend all equipment I need . Money not that much issue as I am going to set aside and invest in this
I've used Zoom recorders for a number of years but it's important to understand that there are many different Zoom devices with different levels of performance. The unit with the highest quality is F6, which provides 32 bit floating point recording and low noise wide bandwidth preamps. This recorder provides recording quality close to a high end studio level.

But that does nothing to address the issues with wind noise, environmental noise, and audio imaging that are part of recording outside. These issues are related to the microphone choice, wind protection, mic positioning, and location noise.

Mic choice: omni-directional mics are less susceptible to wind noise, especially if they are arranged in the same direction as the wind. Unfortunately omni mics are more susceptible to environmental noise, so it's important to have a quiet location.

Wind protection: Fluffy "dead cat" style wind protection can do an amazing job. Rycote is probably the best known supplier: https://rycote.com/ but there are many others. These were recommended to me: https://www.mikrofon-windschutz-gutm...n-microphones/ The wind screen needs to be matched to the microphone to get the best result. Here's an article that compares a number of different wind screen systems: https://transom.org/2018/putting-wind-screens-test/

Mic position: If you can accept having the mic visible in the shot you can improve the signal to noise ratio by positioning the mic close to the source. A body-worn lavalier might do the job although they can have issues with frequency response and self noise.

Finally, if there's significant noise at your location your efforts are probably doomed. And in today's world it can be hard to find a quiet spot.

Hopefully this blurb will give you some ideas. There are just too many variables and options for me to give a list of items that you should choose. I'm happy to try to answer your questions if I can but I'm certainly no expert.

Fran
Old 05-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #11
bjohn

I also think this was green-screened, but even in an environment like this you could get a similar sound from a good shotgun mic placed just out of view over his head pointing down.

A lot of people misunderstand shotgun mics: because of their shape, people often think of them as "telephoto" mics that somehow bring distant sounds closer. That's not right. They're really just isolating/discriminating devices: they reject sound from the sides. That's what the long interference tube is for. The capsule is at the base of the tube, not the front.

So if you had a line of people who were all talking, you could isolate the voice of any one person by pointing the shotgun mic at that person. It's not perfect and there will be some sound from the sides, but the signal will be strongest from whatever you're pointing it at.

A good Rycote blimp or Cyclone would eliminate the wind sound, but there would still be some ambient noise in a situation like this. You might be able to remove most of it with a denoise plugin or external tool, but if you were aiming for realism you wouldn't want it to be unnaturally quiet. That's what makes me agree with others that this was probably recorded in a studio.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote