Old 05-07-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
kokconut
Human being with feelings

Default Configuration for live guitars

Hi, first post here.

I've been using Reaper for a couple of months and so far so really good.

By now i'm trying to set up Reaper to perform live guitars, mostly for rehearsals. Basically I'm following this Kenny video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nXMi_41K9vs so I have a couple tracks with different guitar sounds and I set them as "automatic record-arm" when I select each of them.

But I have a problem, while switching from one track to another there is a small gap of silence so the change of sound is not smooth. This happens whether I change the selected track clicking with the mouse or with a pad of my mpd218.

Any clue how could I solve this problem? I don't know if I should check something in options or configuration.
kokconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
serr

Probably the rec arm toggle is not seamless. Either is soloing in Reaper.

Mute can be seamless in Reaper!
First, make sure the preference for "don't process muted tracks" is disabled! (It's disabled by default.) Enabling this changes the mute buttons to (more accurately) channel on/off buttons and THIS function is NOT seamless.

Rec arm both tracks and mute one of the other. If you just have the two to toggle between, group the mutes on those tracks. Click group with one already muted and one not. Now they toggle.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:43 PM   #3
kokconut

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have not managed to "reverse-mute" two tracks via grouping, they both get muted or unmuted as once whatever combination of mute lead or mute follow I choose.

But I managed to switch the mute between two tracks just muting one of them, then selecting both and pressing the pad of my mpd218 that I have set to mute the selected track. So now, if I have only two tracks, they mute and unmute alternatively so I can switch the guitar sound. And it works seamlessly, even with the "do not process muted tracks" enabled. I have recorded in a track the out of the two tracks and the point of the waveform where I change between the two is perfect, no gap and no glitches of any form.

So if I'm using just two tracks, it's ok.

But the thing is that I'm using four tracks, for clean, crunch, high gain and solo, so I'll have to imagine another way to make it work.

Maybe is there an action to unmute a selected track while keeping the other muted as you move between the tracks in the project? Something like "keep muted when not selected"?

Also, I'd like to keep certain tracks always unmuted and playing, as I use other tracks besides the guitar as backing tracks while rehearsing.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Sws live configs was made to work around this issue AFAIK
Old 05-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
serr

Order of operations.

Start with one muted and one not. NOW group the mutes.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:53 PM   #6
kokconut

Thanks, now it is working.

But it only works for just two tracks. If there are more tracks in the group it simply mutes what is unmuted and unmutes what is muted, but doesn't let you choose which track is unmuted while the rest keep muted.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
kokconut

Well, it seems that I have found a way to make it work.

I have created 4 different SWS snapshots, so each of them let me choose which track keeps sounding while the other 3 are muted. With the midi controller I can switch from one to another so yeah, that is basically what I wanted to achieve.