Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Default ReaRack Modular Synth

Edit 12/12/2017

Version 2.0 release. See message here for details - https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=140

Edit 9/8/2017

Update 1.4, see message here for details - https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=96

Original post:

It's taken me a while, but my JSFX learning project is now complete, I think. I have been attempting to create a modular synth system. It is fairly basic in that there are no provisions to prevent aliasing apart from the ocsillator being hard limited at just below the Nyquist frequency. IMHO the system seems to work surprisingly well and could be useful for learning about sound synthesis. It is capable of subtractive, additive and rudimentary FM synthesis. It's here in the stash for anyone interesting in trying it out (there may still be bugs in it):

https://stash.reaper.fm/28403/ReaRack-ModularSynth.zip

The description reads as follows:
--------
A bunch of JSFX modules that can be used for modular synthesis. ReaRack is a MIDI controlled digital synth system modeled on voltage controlled analog hardware synths. It is a monophonic system but polyphony is possible using the included poly splitter module.

Three example projects are included in the zip file.

Currently there are 9 modules: Oscillator, LFO, Envelope generator,Filter, Amplifier, CC mixer, Trigger, Poly splitter and Key follower. Some modules (used for multiple voices) have a master/slave function so that certain parameters can be linked for ease of setup. Key module parameters can be modulated directly using the MIDI CC inputs, for those that can't, if need be, use REAPERS's parameter modulation. Modules receive MIDI on all channels. MIDI output can be directed to individual channels. For input channel filtering, use the REAPER track routing.
-------

Further to the description, I should add that to help with additive synthesis, there is a provision in the oscillator to select a harmonic of the fundamental as the oscillator pitch.

I have also included an 'Audio Modulation' section on the oscillator, whereby any preceding audio can be used for modulation in one of three ways:
1. The input audio and the oscillator output can be multiplied together to create a ring modulation effect.
2. The input audio can be used to modulate the frequency of the oscillator (FM synthesis).
3. The oscillator can be used to modulate the amplitude of any incoming audio.

Last edited by Time Waster; 12-12-2017 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Notice of Update
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote